homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » The Media

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Media
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2008 19:11      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched the democratic forum on faith and how politics is intertwined with faith and such.

Obama was made to explain his earlier remarks about small towns and bitterness. I thought he explained it very well in that he overall believes that the voice of the people isn't heard by Washington and that the words he used at that event were probably not the best to explain what he was trying to say.

Right after the debate CNN starts talking about how he didn't explain it fully. They only show a short clip of his couple minute explanation. And how it will haunt him.

Why does the media not represent the people?
Why does the media just care about ratings?
Why does the media not hold up to the standards that they should?

and why does the American people do nothing about this? The media does more damage to your country on a weekly basis then terrorist ever have - think about it.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2008 22:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our media outlets are corporate owned (ie, rich white men in suits). They care about ratings because that's how they measure how many people are watching. More people watching = more advertisers buying slots or paying more for slots = more revenue for the company. Capitalism at work.

As people there's not much we can do, other than stop watching. Well, there's also alternative outlets, like blogs. Caveat emptor on the blogs. Then again, caveat emptor on traditional media as well.

Is it any wonder I get as much news as I can straight off the wire or the BBC?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2008 23:10      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
The media does more damage to your country on a weekly basis then terrorist ever have - think about it.

In America, we call them "news corporations" and they specialize in infotainment. Did you know that there are people in America that actually rely on FOX News to tell them about their world?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2008 17:56      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fs: I know, and it makes me groan in pain to know that a lot off people will make there political decisions based on what the American media outlets tell them.

I get more real news from 5 minutes of BBC then a days worth of CNN.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2008 21:26      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The media .......

They care about ratings ......

They specialize in infotainment.

Whether you like the news or not, one thing is very clear in the media today:

Until now, America has never lost more than 4,000 soldiers in any war, since it was discovered 10,000 years ago.

If the US had ever been in a war where something like 10,000 soldiers or more were killed ... the country would have been so devastated that everything east of the San Andreas Fault would have slid into the Indian Ocean with a giant snowball effect that would have taken most of Europe with it.

Oh ... and the moon would have gone supernova.

Aside: I wonder if TFD will correct me with something like ...
quote:
ASM, just because the US has never lost more than 4,000 soldiers in a war, that doesn't mean the moon would go supernova.

[shake head]   No, he'll probably do the predictable thing and post more inane babble.
</mocking and condescending sarcasm>

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2008 21:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
America has never lost more than 4,000 soldiers in any war, since it was discovered 10,000 years ago...
..everything east of the San Andreas Fault would have slid into the Indian Ocean...
...the moon would have gone supernova...
(TFD will probably) post more inane babble.

<laughing-till-my-ears-fly-north-for-the-winter-and-bake-four-and-twenty-blackbirds-into-some-curds-and-whey>

Please ASM, entertain us some more, your little gems of self-mockery are hilarious.

Tell us all about how Ho Chi Minh saved Texas from an invading army of Wookies.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture