homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Barack Obama's Church (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barack Obama's Church
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2008 08:53      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine somebody taping a good friend at an angry moment, playing that loop over and over again just to judge you by it.

Our tests of faith are not ones that challenge us to overcome convenience, rather they ask us to overcome difficulty.

I find this article compelling.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hYL_ICCVB3g8UAtMxocStkw0uwOgD8VQEMF80

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2008 17:25      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That anyone can create a scandal and successfully arouse a degree of public anger sufficient to alter the course of a national election over a mere association is one of the reasons I plan to stay as far away from politics as possible. The country's priorities are screwed up.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2008 18:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look on the bright side, it's put a stop to all those bu11sh1t stories about Obama being an Al-Quaeda sleeper agent.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 00:23      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Obama being the AntiChrist
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 04, 2008 07:12      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Marines, guess who was one?....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-oped0404wrightapr03,0,92000.story

Gawd damn! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 21:58      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Speaking of Marines, guess who was one?....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-oped0404wrightapr03,0,92000.story

Gawd damn! [Big Grin]

It's been written here before: Vet bashing is a fundamental pillar of the American right.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 05, 2008 13:03      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
April 03, 2008, 08:53
Imagine somebody taping a good friend at an angry moment

So, you're expecting me to believe that "Reverend" Wright spontaneously went into a long rant with "The government lied ... about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color" (and other nutcase remarks) when (as a preacher) he was supposed deliver a message drawn from the teachings of Jesus?

No, I'm sorry but it's not really believable, in part due to "a lot" of "angry moments."

quote:
The Alarmist: NO!!!!!!   IT'S ALL A LIE! Our politicians aren't really narcissistic, incompetent buffoons! The government is really run by super-intelligent white people (all male) that have mastered genetic manipulation and the creation of new life forms!

(This is the part where TFD should point out: "ASM, Wright never said HUMANS were part of the GOVERNMENT that invented the HIV virus.")

quote:
April 04, 2008, 00:23
What about Obama being the AntiChrist

What the heck, I'm feeling snarky......
quote:
This will probably piss-off my shadowy overlords, but Obama is a white man..... It's true, a non-white can't have power or position in government. Can a black man be a senator and vote on US legislature? No.... Could a black man have a legitimate occupation in America and become a millionaire? No.... Has anyone seen Obama's "black" father? No..... OBAMA IS WHITE. The CIA genetically altered the egg cells of his mother and grandmother to infiltrate the resistance groups from "people of color."

I wanted to reveal how the government created the Christmas Tsunami in 2004, but my break is almost over and I have to finish coding DNA on the Dalek project.

quote:
April 04, 2008, 21:58
It's been written here before: Vet bashing is a fundamental pillar of the American right.

[Confused]   So someone can say "God Damn America," and that America deserves to be bombed and should be bombed, and still be patriotic as long as the person was patriotic for enough years before making Anti-American statements.

[crazy]   By that thinking, a woman can be a virgin after sexual intercourse, as long as she was a virgin for a really long time before having sex.

In case you never noticed: No matter how much you were respected 20 years ago, you can always destroy any respect people have for you now, with enough contemptible behavior.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
krystopian
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 16440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 13:59      Profile for krystopian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This election seems to me like one of the first where our cheap, available technology like youtube is having an effect on voter opinion of the candidates. At least - the part of voter population who regularly roams the internet.

I find it very interesting that both Obama and Clinton are having problems due to these things surfacing - Obama because of Rev. Wright, Clinton because of the Bosnia fracas.

Sure, these things happened in the past too, but it was due to journalistic hunting. Nowadays, anybody with a video camera can upload incriminating footage of their peers or "friends" (referencing the top post in this topic) and it can have a real effect on popular opinion.

If it's like this *now*, imagine it in 25 years when the generation that grew up with the internet begins running for President and similar offices. I mean... given that much exposure to cheap recordability, there has to be something horribly incriminating about everyone on the internet in forty five years. Hence, there can be no mistakes.

Just a thought. Crazy, hm?

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 15:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<laughing till my toenails hurt>

ASM, you're in fine form today.

Please, post some more, I've missed your little nuggets of 24 carat confusion.

Tell us all about how the Democrats are really Cylon spys plotting to betray us to an army of Jedi Daleks from the planet Mecca.

</laughing till my toenails hurt>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 16:16      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Tell us all about how the Democrats are really Cylon spys plotting to betray us to an army of Jedi Daleks from the planet Mecca.

That makes so much sense now! All those damn Arab bastards pray towards Mecca. They're ALL ALIENS! We should launch a rocket towards Mecca and wage the worlds first intergalactic war!

I for one would like to lead this campaign of hate and march forward to bring death to those war mongering fools! Who's with me!

"GOD WILLS IT!"

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 05, 2008 18:13      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
April 05, 2008 16:16
All those damn Arab bastards pray towards Mecca. They're ALL ALIENS!

<sigh> ... No, the Arabs are not aliens.

However, everything they believe from more than 1000 years ago is the work of a vacationing party propaganda agent of the Tribble alien empire (West side).

quote:
... and wage the worlds first intergalactic war!
Geez ... the arrogance. Humans wage the first intergalactic war? Ha ... and rainbows will shoot out of my tentacled flargnop.

I guess I won't be pissing off my shadowy overlords if no one can grasp elementary conspiracy activities and history.

fnord

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 21:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
That makes so much sense now! All those damn Arab bastards pray towards Mecca. They're ALL ALIENS!

<true-story>
One afternoon I was at a friends house, and his mother called in. She took one look at me and said "Oh, you're a redhead, you know all redheads are descended from space-aliens who came to Earth 6000 years ago".
</true-story>

Given your comments in another thread, it seems likely you've got a bit of alien DNA yourself, so you should be on our side.

Jihad! Jihad!
Yoda Achbar!

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 21:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROTFSMPL

You guys are going to kill me.

'scuse me while I go clean up.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2008 10:34      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
[QB] [QUOTE] April 03, 2008, 08:53
Imagine somebody taping a good friend at an angry moment

So, you're expecting me to believe that "Reverend" Wright spontaneously went into a long rant with "The government lied ... about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color" (and other nutcase remarks) when (as a preacher) he was supposed deliver a message drawn from the teachings of Jesus?

No, I'm sorry but it's not really believable, in part due to "a lot" of "angry moments."

Because the government would never let black people be used as laboratory animals, would they?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762136.html

Snaggy, can you take out the white trash now?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2008 12:07      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Because the government would never let black people be used as laboratory animals, would they?

#include < condescending _sarcasm.h>
CP, I'm so disappointed.....

You forgot to mention whites owned blacks as slaves about a century before that,
and you forgot to mention whites burned people alive for witchcraft a century before that,
and you forgot to say why you hate white people for something a thousand years ago.

You are a revenge-minded nut. Go ahead and believe that living in the US now is the worst fate any non-white could suffer.

quote:
Religious Hypocrite: I can cast stones at others as much as I want because I'm without sin as a result of my skin color.
Go ahead ... praise "Reverend" Wright for his message of hate.

quote:
Originally posted by ASM:
... as a preacher ... he was supposed deliver a message drawn from the teachings of Jesus...

If you think Christianity is about hatred and dwelling on the past, maybe you know a few stories of how Jesus came back from the grave to kill everyone that did him wrong.   [shake head]

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2008 12:42      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a hunch this thread is gonna get better and better.

-

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 06, 2008 14:20      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, CP ... maybe you're a little weak on understanding English. Let me help.
quote:
Words of "Reverend" Wright:
God damn America.

That's a blanket statement, so in additition to whatever you want to say, it includes:
  • God damn the country that made slavery illegal.
  • God damn the country that gave women the right to vote.
  • God damn the country that saved Europe from tyranny and helped it rebuild.
  • God damn the country that gave aid to those suffering from the tsunami of 2004.

Did "Reverend" Wright ask "eye-for-an-eye" retribution? .... Actually, no. It was more like:
quote:
Revenge Man: A thousand of our people suffered, therefore retribution against a million of them is right.
As far as he's concerned, his vendetta is worth "damning" hundreds of millions who had no part in offenses against people of his color.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2008 14:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, I don't know about the HIV story, but I read Rev. Wright's sermon a few weeks ago. I don't necessarily agree with the stuff that's come out since then, but the original sermon was fairly tame in context.

From what I remember, Wright was exhorting his congregation to quite their wicked ways. It reminded me very much of things the Hebrew prophets told the Children of Israel, and in particular, this chapter from II Chronicles. Sure, Wright used strong language, but America needs strong men, not wimps who change with the wind.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2008 15:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most of the inflammatory Wright quotes have been taken out of the context of both the sermons they belonged to and the style of the preacher. There's also a latent fear among some whites that rises up whenever black people start talking about standing up for themselves. Maybe it's a guilty conscience or something, I dunno. Factor in the simple fact that people can and will stir up a controversy over anything and you've got presidential campaign silly season.

But as someone pointed out, at least people have stopped trying to link Obama to Al Qaeda. :roll:

Pass me some of that popcorn gg.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2008 15:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<laughing-till-my-toenails-fall-off>
Poor ASM, so very, very confused.

Please, entertain us some more, tell us all about how the Cybermen are in cahoots with the Klingons in an evil plot to make our women wear techno-mind-control-burkhas.
</laughing-till-my-toenails-fall-off>

And for those of you with 3-digit IQs, why are we even discussing out of context quotes from Rev. Wrights sermons?

-

--------------------

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2008 16:12      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if this is not the nonsense it appears to be, what are we saying, that Obama attends a church where the pastor occasionally uses intemperate language? That is a pretty poor excuse for a character attack, and if that's the best his enemies can come up with it just makes you think that he must really be cleaner than clean.

I have a foolish and naive hope that sometime during this election more attention may turn to the issues, for example the promise by the Democrats to withdraw from Iraq. How they might practically effect this, and what they plan to do about the likely ensuing chaos and carnage, let alone the possible dangerous long term effects in the region, are questions of rather more import than the quality of the rev. Wright's sermons.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 13:09      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it. The public fixates on things such as these, while the real issues go ignored. It happened to (Bill) Clinton too.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 19:12      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Award for Freakin' Huge Understatement Goes To ....
quote:
April 06, 2008, 16:12
Obama attends a church where the pastor occasionally uses intemperate language?

I find it strange that his "intemperate" behavior occurs repeatedly when he has a large captive audience.

quote:
Words of "Reverend" Wright:
The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color.

First, making a statement about the US inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide is more than "intemperate language." If Wright isn't a lunatic, he's pretty close.

What kind of numbers did Wright mean by genocide? It doesn't really matter. Genocide is the term you throw around to incite anger and equate someone with killing millions as in the Holocaust (6 million), Stalin's Forced Famine (7 million), or the Khmer Rouge (1.5 million).

Second, a little information about HIV/AIDS -- The four major routes of transmission are:
  • Unprotected sexual intercourse,
  • Contaminated needles,
  • Breast milk,
  • Transmission from an infected mother to her baby at birth.

Get a clue -- HIV is (primarily) spread by behavior. It's not transmitted according to skin color.

Let me help you explain why HIV/AIDS can't be stopped.....
quote:
Idiot: It's obvious that AIDS was designed to kill black people because black people can't stop having unprotected sexual intercourse, and can't stop using contaminated needles.

What Wright's Behavior Reveals About Obama
quote:
... a pretty poor excuse for a character attack ...
Obama's character flaw is that he's a fool   if he couldn't tell that his "spiritual advisor" is filled with deep hatred based on conspiracies and paranoia.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 19:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Obama's character flaw is that he's a fool   if he couldn't tell that his "spiritual advisor" is filled with deep hatred based on conspiracies and paranoia.

<laughing-till-my-kneecaps-fall-off>

Oh ASM, you've really outdone yourself here.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...
Pot...
ho ho ho ho ho ho ho...
kettle...
he he he he he he...

*struggles-to-regain-composure*

Please ASM, entertain us some more.

Tell us all about how Captain Kirk and the Borg are conspiring to make us all eat Halal tribble-burgers.

</laughing-till-my-kneecaps-fall-off>

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2008 19:59      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

When I initially heard the news reports, I thought that. Then I read the sermons and changed my mind. Then I heard that Wright had pro-gay/pro-abortion leanings, and I changed my mind again.

Sometimes I think I should vote for Obama, but other times I think McCain's the better choice (well, I'd rather have Ron Paul or Huckabee, but I'll take what I can get).

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture