homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Arthur C. Clarke Dead.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Arthur C. Clarke Dead.
Huicho
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7905

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 14:07      Profile for Huicho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read in CNN that Arthur C. Clarke died at the age of 90 today.
Posts: 35 | From: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 15:57      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The world has just lost a literary giant.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted March 18, 2008 16:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
crap. [Frown]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 17:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great writer, 'inventor' of the geostationary communications satellite and space elevator, and all-around amazing guy.

90 orbits around the sun just isn't enough. [cry baby]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 19:01      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That actually brought tears to my eyes when I found out -- he was my favorite S.F. author and an incredible visionary. I had the good fortune to hear him speak at Rice University in the early 70's. I'll have to dig out that cassette tape and listen to what he said.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2008 02:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ Arthur C. Clarke Dead NO NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO. We owe him praise for thinking up much of NASA's missions. If it had not been for him the Govt. would only be building weapons.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2008 08:11      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is sad news to all geeks and future-dreamers around the world. And even movie lovers: who do not know the "I can't do that, Dave" with the voice Kubrick gave HAL? And how could that have happened without Clark's creative genius?

A great visionaire has passed; he can't dream for us anymore. We'll have to jump to the task, people! Let's dream for the future, and share those with the many ready to build it! (Or even build it ourselves, if we can.)

Arthur C. Clark, thank you - I hope you have found the final answer to Life's biggest question.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2008 17:48      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG - it's full of stars!

I actually said that when I saw 10.5... part in jest I admit but even so ...
RIP ACC architect of the future (i,e, Now)

[weep]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2008 07:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great little essay on Arthur's influence...

A Boy's Life, Guided by the Voice of Cosmic Wonder
By DENNIS OVERBYE
To space fans and perpetual adolescents everywhere Arthur C. Clarke was simply the deceptively dry voice of cosmic wonder.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture