homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » In the interests of balance... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: In the interests of balance...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 01:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli recently posted a link to this inspirational 'Yes We Can' video.

Well, in the interests of balance, I thought I should point out that the Democrats aren't the only ones with a vision for the future.
John McCain has a 10,000 year plan. [Frown]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 09:42      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If McCain gets elected, you can kiss the Northern Hemisphere goodbye in no time.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 15:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
If McCain gets elected, you can kiss the Northern Hemisphere goodbye in no time.

I'm sorry I don't understand. What do you mean by that?

Personally I take great encouragement from the fact that all of the main candidates are a massive improvement on the current incumbent. I would be happy to vote for any of them. McCain has to pacify the nutters in his party, but is not himself bound by dogma, so I would not worry overmuch about these statements of his. He is an intelligent man and so must know in his heart that "the surge" in Iraq only buys some time, and cannot continue indefinitely. He must know also as a Vietnam vet that you can also win all the battles yet lose the war.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 15:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Uh oh.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 18:34      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
quote:

I'm sorry I don't understand. What do you mean by that?

Personally I take great encouragement from the fact that all of the main candidates are a massive improvement on the current incumbent. I would be happy to vote for any of them. McCain has to pacify the nutters in his party, but is not himself bound by dogma, so I would not worry overmuch about these statements of his. He is an intelligent man and so must know in his heart that "the surge" in Iraq only buys some time, and cannot continue indefinitely. He must know also as a Vietnam vet that you can also win all the battles yet lose the war.

I don't know where you're getting your info on this, Calli, but McCain wants continuous war in the MidEast and has recently said, on record, that he could easily see it going on for another 100 years there. He thinks the USA should stay until we force our brand of government upon them.

The guy is a complete liar, crook and whack-job and has a closet full of skeletons to prove it.

He makes Bushy look live a turtle dove.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 19:14      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
[QUOTE]Personally I take great encouragement from the fact that all of the main candidates are a massive improvement on the current incumbent. I would be happy to vote for any of them.

Earthworms would be a massive improvement over the current incumbent, Cali. You'd be happy to vote for earthworms.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 19:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather vote for a guinea pig. Having kept several, I know exactly what we would be in for. I assure you, worse things could happen. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 20:30      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Earthworms would be a massive improvement over the current incumbent, Cali.
CP

Good grief! CP and I agreeing on something!

What's next?

[Big Grin]

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 20:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's chunks of white crap right outside my window. Maybe the sky is falling...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2008 21:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The guy is a complete liar, crook and whack-job and has a closet full of skeletons to prove it.

He makes Bushy look live a turtle dove.

Not that I'm a big fan of the guy, but AFAIK he's the only Republican candidate who's been willing to stand up for the highly-controversial notion that torture is a bad thing.

That earns him several dozen points in my book, whatever his other flaws might be.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2008 08:53      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron Paul.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2008 12:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron Paul doesn't count, he opposes everything.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2008 17:06      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I thought you were a 'Druid', Druid.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2008 17:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I thought you were a 'Druid', Druid.
We had a guy like Ron Paul on the Stonehenge project committee.

Everything we wanted to do, he opposed it.

The stones were too big, or too small, too rough, or too smooth, too many, or too few, or the wrong colour.
The circle was too big, too small, too circular, or too elliptical.
Every fscking thing we tried to do, he was agin' it, but he never had any useful suggestions of his own.

Every time a stone fell and crushed a few workers, or some workmen put a stone half a cubit off-mark, he'd be crowing "I told you so, if only you'd all listened to me!".

Turns out, the heel didn't want the thing built at all, his brother-in-law wanted the land for a long-barrow development. So he spent his days at committee meetings obstructing everything we did, and spent his nights in the tavern squandering his committee-member salary on cheap mead and tavern-wenches.

In the end an irate construction foreman who just wanted to get the job finished knocked him on the head and buried him beneath the Heel Stone (that's how it got its name).

--------------------

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2008 19:29      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... and spent his nights in the tavern squandering his committee-member salary on cheap mead and tavern-wenches.).

Congratulations Druid,

You just described Spungo on a good day.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 06:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ Sheese and here I thought we were discussing:

Ron Paul
John McCain
Ralph Nadar

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 29, 2008 19:51      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
February 27, 2008 18:34
I don't know where you're getting your info on this, Calli, but McCain wants continuous war in the MidEast and has recently said, on record, that he could easily see it going on for another 100 years there.

In case you haven't noticed, the old saying:
quote:
DEATH TO THOSE WHO INSULT ISLAM
    ... doesn't promote peace.

After decades of Islamic terrorism, it should be clear that they ("radical" Islam) are ANTI-CIVILIZATION. If you have a wonderful proof that shows killing another person because he has a different perspective on god -- is CIVILIZED, then I'll be glad to shred that "proof" into confetti (when I have time).

As an observation, Iran has the perfect brainwashing apparatus: A theocracy rules the country. There is only one religion in the country (for all practical purposes). Every cleric must teach what the government says to teach, or risk death under charges of apostasy.

What has the government of Iran taught? Answer: Death to those who "insult" Islam. Everyone in Iran has been taught this from birth (at least for those under the age of 26).

... and for more fun:
  • When did it become culturally acceptable to beat women to death to preserve one's "honor"?
        (sometime before Current Era?)

• Why hasn't beating women to death to preserve one's "honor" become UNACCEPTABLE (in certain places)?

Notice: Before "someone" says that "death to those who insult Islam" and other comments are paranoid fantasies from right-wing conspiracy sites -- that person (or those persons) should not say any such thing because it would show his EXTREME Cluelessness of the planet he is living on.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 20:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Pope John Paul Jones XIII said to Saladin at the battle of Dunkirk, "HeadOn. Apply directly to the forehead"

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 29, 2008 21:15      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD,

Is your intellect so feeble that you're only capable of personal attacks using inane babble?

Your tunnel-vision is so extreme that a grain of sand could blot out all you see.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 21:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
intellect so feeble...
...personal attacks...
...inane babble...
...tunnel-vision...

As The Ayatollah Falwell said to the Apostles at Waterloo: "Pot, Kettle..."

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 29, 2008 21:37      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon, TFD ..... Say something Bold, Daring.... something which shows that there is some value or philosophical belief you defend.

By the way, if it's only "one thing" then that would tend to prove you have a bad case of tunnel-vision.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 23:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Caligula said to Thomas Jefferson while they climbed Mount Ararat, "What you talkin 'bout Willis?".

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 01, 2008 01:23      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816: (about TFD)
intellect so feeble...
...personal attacks...
...inane babble...
...tunnel-vision...

Originally posted by TFD:
"Pot, Kettle..."

I guess you didn't understand what I meant about "killing another person because he has a different perspective on god."

I'll rephrase it:
quote:
Killing another person because he has a different perspective on god is evil.

Did you think only someone with a feeble intellect would believe such a thing?

Did you think only someone with tunnel-vision would believe such a thing?

Did you mean that it's inane to say Islamic terrorists are "anti-civilization"?

As for "personal attacks" you seem to avoid any meaningful rebuttals and put all of effort into harassment. You're the kind of person that would attempt to win a debate by howling and making fart noises until your opponent leaves (and then claim that you're a genius).

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2008 04:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Julius Caesar said to William Shakespeare after the battle of Gettysburg - "Who's on first?"

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2008 20:35      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm sorry gg but I still don't understand what you mean by this, and why you chose that particular slice of the globe for imminent doom should McCain be elected.

As for McCain and the 100 years thing, if you are arguing for the continuance of the Iraq War on the grounds that "the surge" is working, which is an intellectually respectable argument to make, though I personally disagree with it, you cannot then give a date for withdrawal as that undermines your commitment to victory, so the most he can be accused of is an unfortunate choice of words. Not being a fluent speaker when speaking unscripted is a disadvantage, but should not debar a man from high office. It certainly did not seem to hurt Ronald Reagan.

In any case none of the three main contenders could be regarded a "peace" candidate. Even Obama though he voted against the Iraq war at a time when this was unpopular, has made some distinctly hawkish pronouncements about the possibility of making pre-emptive strikes in Pakistan.

What actually does depress me about the campaign so far is the incredibly simplistic way the media are handling it and I include the media over here and even at times the BBC in that criticism. During the previous two presidential elections we had a Republican candidate who was taken at face value as a folksy Texan, though this identity was completely self invented, with a rackety past involving multiple business failures and alcoholism that he only escaped from with the aid of the crutch of religion. It was hardly ever suggested that there might here be a man with some unresolved psychological issues, while at the same time his opponents characters were smeared traduced and filleted.

Now we have the same fairy story approach being taken only this time it is Obama who is being given the incredibly easy ride that Bush had, while Hillary is routinely portrayed as the wicked witch of the West. At times it almost seems that Obama is being portrayed as some Moses who will lead America out of captivity into the promised land. You can't really blame Obama, as his web site contains some fairly detailed policy documents, but they are little discussed. Much of politics is dealing with problems that have no pain free answers, and sometimes no right answers at all, and all politicians including presidential candidates are humans not superheroes, and portraying them in this way and treating the electorate in such a patronising infantile way only leads to cynicism and disaffection. It's just as bad over here, nobody ever really knew what Blair believed in and the current leader of the conservative party is another bland PR man who is completely vague about what he stands for. I think its about time that both the media and the electorate grew up a bit.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture