homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Northern Rock New name?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Northern Rock New name?
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2008 19:09      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Another long slow night at work. Layoffs for 1/2 the shifts here, and a total closing of the plant in PA. Just waiting for my notice.

Just wondering if the UK people have any opinions of the nationalization of northern rock. Heh, I guess they were between a Northern rock and a hard place.

Luckily our markets arent open tomorrow, although with the insanity of recent investors vs fundamentals, I guess maybe they may have rallied. Who knows anymore. At least in Vegas they give you free drinks while sucking up your cash.

So will they be changing the name? Northern tax-payer squicking rock united national bank of england perhaps?

Oh, and the governments advisors Goldman Sachs is the ones recommending this action. They get fees for advising, make money shorting, and dictate policy. neato.

thanks for any replies in advance.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2008 19:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny, politicians can never find enough money to provide decent schools or hospitals, but they're always ready to throw tens/hundreds of billions of the taxpayers hard-earned into a "rescue package" whenever the bookies - sorry 'financial markets' make a bad bet.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2008 19:43      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, amazing aint it. In a profitable up market it is alot of "get government out of the way" or "regulation is strangling innovation and productivity" or "the greatest story never told". as soon as losses start hitting it is bail meeeee ouuuut or we have a financial fireball taking us all out.

I personally want an effective government. I think in many areas in USA it is bloated and needs to be put on a diet and forced to live within its budget, but learn how to be efficient and effective. we never would have reached this point that will lead to lots and lots of new regulation if the already existing ones had been ENFORCED and basic prudence and common sense had prevailed. any time any entity starts playing with other people's money prudence goes right out the window. Whether hedge funds, government, banks or anything.I dont know what the answer is. I do know that nationalizing a failing business is not the way to go though. sigh.

PS To larry kudlow. Goldilocks is nothing but a theiving skank.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2008 19:50      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I thought war was used in history to bring a country out of depression/ recession and not into one.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2008 07:50      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but you can't have guns AND butter.

In some ways I want to say let these financial institutions hang. They gambled on people they targeted knowing they were a poor credit risk and duh.... On the other hand if you let them fold the ripple affect hurts everythng.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2008 15:41      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YaYawoman:

thanks for any replies in advance.

I've given up replying in advance for Lent. This will result in the deep-purge and cleansing of my soul that my therapist tells me I've been seeking...

So I can't help for another 4 1/2 weeks, YaYa - sorry. Maybe next time.

Meanwhile, I'm saddened to learn you may be losing your employment. May you land safely, soon and well.

Long-live the elected elite of finance, media and governments! [shake head]

gg
[evil]

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2008 16:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ Is this new bank going to be called "Eroded Pebble"????????????????

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture