homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » vigilante crossing gaurd

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vigilante crossing gaurd
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 05:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ball State Uni

<rant on a tangeant>
What I find disturbing is the city official that stated that cross walks are only nessesary in residential areas near schools. This is a very bad idea for the enviorment. Do they think that only students walk?

In thier statement I see the problem with the mentality of american residential planning. They don't build stores near where people live which means people don't have a choice about walking to the store instead of driving. Zoned communities are just plain bad ideas. If america wants to survive the coming lack of cheap fossil fuels they are goign to have to change thier ideas on zoning and walking.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 10:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ Yup, I agree.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 10:55      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, what do you mean? Driving's bad for the environment? Burning gasoline is bad? I have to walk?? Um, what's walking, again? Is that the thing I do when I get up off my chair to search for the TV remote? I thought that was called search and rescue.

All kidding aside, I don't have a TV. No, seriously, there are multiple pieces to the total solution for the US in regards to fossil fuel dependence. One of them would be to plan out communities wherein one doesn't need to drive anywhere. And, if you do need to drive, make public mass transit an affordable, likable, and easy to use alternative. This, of course, will require an entire culture shift. With that in mind, remember that it took 2 Word Wars to get the US to step away from its isolationist attitude. (Considering current world affairs, maybe not such a good thing afterall?)

The other bits, of course, include utilizing construction methods that promote efficient energy use, renewable energy for powering a house (solar roof panels are a good start), recycling waste water at the home and efficient land use. Why is it that when a community is built the builder tears down all the trees and then plants immature trees? Why not leave what's there? Or move them? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth. Hmm ... all things considered, might want to change out to Euros. Then my opinion should account for more.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huicho
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7905

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 15:16      Profile for Huicho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a bunch of whinners. I have never heard anybody complain about zonning. People that don't even live in the US complaining about it, now I've heard it all. I like it fine here in Arizona.
Posts: 35 | From: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 16:33      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(tan(Ball State Crosswalks) == municipal zoning)

Anyone here read Jane Jacobs?

Basically, her thesis was:
  • mixed residential/retail = good
  • pure residential = bad
  • residential-free downtown = urban decay
  • square residential blocks = good
  • residential cul-de-sacs = social stagnation

Those last two are IMHO the most interesting. The argument is that on open blocks, people's social spheres extend a fairly consistent distance each way from home, and so each person's sphere overlaps and interacts with a set of neighbours which is not exactly the same as the set any neighbour's sphere overlaps, while a cul-de-sac tends to form a closed community which ends at the corner, no matter where on the street you live.

Oddly enough, cul-de-sacs are also considered bad feng-shui... [Razz]

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2008 01:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huicho:
What a bunch of whinners. I have never heard anybody complain about zonning. People that don't even live in the US complaining about it, now I've heard it all. I like it fine here in Arizona.

I lived in the USA for 25 years. Just don't say that you don't like my whinning, argue my points that I brought up.

My opinion on zoning has come from my perspective that I have gained livig outside of the US where the the shopping, the offices, and the housing are all mixed and in walking distance of each other in big cities and small.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2008 07:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having spent a nice bit in SE London (not proper) I have a far greater appreciation for being able to reach things on foot and with decent mass transit. Naturally, the same goes for New York, San Fran, and just about any large city and adjacent areas. (While I reckon a bike is faster, I found Boulder a relatively nice place to get around by foot. [I don't personally bike...I don't have 9 lives.])

Around these parts, life without a car is bloody miserable - there's one bus that stops infrequently (once every 2 hours to get from work to home), and to get any decent distance involves transfers and quite a good deal of time. I rather like walking, but it's not a practical option where I am. Still, unlike some folks I know, when it comes to very local things, like taking things to the post office or banking, I do hoof it. I think it's pretty sad to drive a 1/4 mile...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture