homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » It was the worst of times.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It was the worst of times.
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2008 14:12      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have often suggested that the conservative fringe talks in code. But lately they have been particularly emboldened to speak their so-called “minds.”

The drunk driver clip represents the kind of talk that I have found quite common in far-right places. What is particularly notable is that these people knew very well that – except for privileged attorney communications – jailhouse conversations are not private.

Fortunately the “liberal” judge was not amused.

The rest of the sad stuff shows us more of the darkness that lurks in the shadows of the far right.

Drunk Driver Laughs:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2008/01/24/hill.az.drunk.driver.laughs.sentence.cnn

Golfweek Noose:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/2008-01-16-golfweek-cover-image_N.htm

Jena Noose:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/2008-01-16-golfweek-cover-image_N.htm

Jena Klan March on Martin Luther King Day:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g_B895UEtV38cUvZWav9zg08hh3QD8UAHV080

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2008 18:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ Random acts of kindness, are they useless in todays culture. If you are entering a Bank, Store, Church and open the door for your self and some one is following you. Do you hold it open for them or let it close in their face? What does this simple act of curtious behaviour cost?

We are all trapped on this piece of space rock, why do we have to be so UNCIVIL?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2008 19:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Random acts of kindness, are they useless in todays culture. If you are entering a Bank, Store, Church and open the door for your self and some one is following you. Do you hold it open for them or let it close in their face? What does this simple act of curtious behaviour cost?

A recent incident really pissed me off.

I was driving past a busy outdoor market, lots of pedestrians milling about, lots of cars (many double-parking to do a quick pickup/dropoff), when I noticed a couple with pram trying to cross the road. I stopped, and waved to the couple to cross. They gave a little nod to acknowledge my small courtesy, and started to cross the road.

So far so good.

They then stopped right in front of me and had a nice long discussion about where they were going next. When I gestured to them that perhaps they could finish their conversation on the footpath, she gave me a look usually reserved for slimy creatures that have crawled out from under rocks, quite deliberately turned her back on me and continued talking to her bloke for at least another 30 seconds.

In the middle of the road.

At the busiest time of day.

If it hadn't been for the pram, I might have given them an impromptu lesson on the laws of physics, comparing the physical properties of a human body with those of a Subaru Outback.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2008 02:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ Therein lies the problem too many people are out for them selves and screw every one else.

"I'm putting it to the man" but who is this faceless individual?

Now it seems that the worlds populations have come to the conclusion that there are two sets of rules. One you obey in public and one you use with family.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 12:30      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To possibly swing this conversation in a slightly different direction, my wife and I discuss this all the time. Especially, the door holding issue. You see, I'm a habitual door holder, out of politeness and good old fashioned civil sensibilities. Except, most people just take advantage of that kindness, and I'm usually left holding the door open for 10,000 people to come marching through (yeah, yeah, exaggeration, I know).

Anyway, I always hold the door open for my wife, take her coat for her in restaurants and at home (I even help her off with her shoes), and get her chair for her. We also walk, often enough, with her arm in mine. We get the oddest looks.

Now, here's where I'm going with this. I am a bit old fashioned. I believe, and act on that belief, that a woman should be feminine, and a man should be masculine. Not that a woman can't do or be what she wants, etc. Just that men and women are different, and we should, as a species, celebrate those differences. Instead, we have a society where opening a door for a woman, if your a man, gets you some sort of evil "You are anti-Feminist. Die Scum!" stare. If you treat your female companion with old fashioned manners, or God forbid, even chivalry, you're seen as some sort of repressive male chauvinist pig.

So, from what I can see, men give up. Who wants that kind of trouble? Women feel that they can open their own door, and anyone doing it for them is somehow repressing them. Oh, and this, of course, seeps into other aspects of common courtesy. Yes, the slippery slope. And, yes, I know this comment is full of generalizations which aren't true for everyone, but are here, nonetheless, for illustrative purposes.

So, we start with men refusing traditional courtesies to women to avoid confrontation. We then move on to men refusing traditional courtesies to other men out of inertia. Women refuse to accept these courtesies, as well. Everyone, slowly, but surely, begins to see themselves as wholly independent and self reliant, even from the small courtesies, rejects any notion that someone else might appreciate these courtesies, and we all stop. We then find our self created sense of singleness reinforced by other's display of singleness, and we begin to act even more selfishly and egocentrically.

Hence, current Western culture sucks. No mystery, no magic, no kindness.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 15:56      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The moment I read that you are a door holder I had a strong feeling that you were heading for what Robin Williams calls, "Large women in comfortable shoes."

More accurately, "Rude women in comfortable shoes" I think.

You should have seen how the Massachusetts NOW chapter reacted to Senator Kennedy's endorsement of Barack Obama -- all I could think of was "Mayella Ewell."

There are still some very polite women who appreciate the act of holding a door open for them. Don't let rude women stop you.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 21:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once upon a time, when I was one heckuvalot more insecure than I am now, acts of chivalry irritated me. I could open my own damn door and lift my own heavy crap and I was going to prove it dammit. Nowadays, I can still open my own damn door and lift my own heavy crap, but I have proven that to myself sufficiently and if someone else wants the job they're welcome to it. I'll even be genuinely surprised and grateful.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 21:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me looks up and ponders the fact that he doesn't always open doors anymore, lest he take crap. ;P

Besides, I absolutely let women do the heavy lifting when applicable...as they're probably stronger than me. [Big Grin] I prefer to do my 'heavy lifting' with a few keystrokes in vim or bash, thankyouverymuch. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 23:52      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a problem holding doors for people. Most people just say thanks and go on through. If I've gotten any dirty looks, I haven't cared enough to notice.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 22:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Female: (Possibly Nancy Astor)
"Winston, you don't need to open the door for me just because I am a lady".

Winston Churchill:
"Madam, I did not open the door because you are a lady, but because I am a gentleman".

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture