homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » "Peak Oil" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Peak Oil"
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2007 04:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stibbons ________________ I did not expect to see the results during my lifetime. I have been to peat bogs, and have been near a bog fire, the smell is akin to high sulfer coal. Some of my fireman friends claim it is hard to put out a peat fire because it will use the sulfer as an oxidizer.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2007 04:51      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could buy that. Yeah, you have far more chance of making peat than you do oil from your squished plants - would probably burn much more effectively too [Smile]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2007 06:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stibbons ___________________ Here in the vastness of America including Canada there has been a drive to build pellet stoves. Basically wood chips and sawdust compressed into a pellet. then fed with a grain auger into a small fire pot. Most of these stoves will tolerate some percentage of Corn (maise) but then there is a clinker much like coal. One company makes what they call bio pellets wood and weed fiber compressed into pellets.

So would fuel pellets outgass like coal if heated.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2007 06:43      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving into the relms of guesswork here, but I don't think they would on the same scale. You'd get some methane etc from the breakdown of decay of the organic matter in there, but not the same amount as from the hydrocarbon generation that's gone on within oily coals.

On a side note, that's a much more efficient way to use biofuels than bioethanol, as there isn't so much energy expended to make the pellets - you just need a tractor to dig them up and a machine to press them (and perhaps dry). In addition you're using the whole of the plant again. And they're just as renewable as bioethanol, as the plants regrow. A lot of domestic power generation in China is done by a similar method, coal pellets that can be burnt to generate heat and cook foods. There's a big drive to get biological models used instead as they'll reduce emissions.

Cow dung also makes a good fuel (as well as house walls). It also contains a high prercentage of methane and other flamable gases from the digestion (decay) of the plant matter in the cow's stomach. Plus it's renewable - it's just reprocessed grass, after all [Smile]

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2007 16:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stibbons ______________________ Right now the priceing on wood or bio-pellets is competitive with natural gas (methane) and beats propane hands down. Also depending when you purchase the pellets has a lot to do with price. Just after the heating season the pellets are quite cheap as long as you are bying by the ton. Early or during the heating season and even large quantities are not cheap.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2007 20:46      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Wouldn't you have to squeeze an awful lot of snakes to run a car?

I could probably run an 18-wheeler, with all the snake-squeezing I do. [Wink]
Geez, spungo! Now how do we go about erasing that little image from our youthful and fragile psyches?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 12:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
quote:

Geez, spungo! Now how do we go about erasing that little image from our youthful and fragile psyches?
Do a search for a movie titled "eel girl" on the internet (it's very NSFW). That will leave an image in your psyche that will obliterate any and everything spungo would ever come up with.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 12:26      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
quote:

Do a search for a movie titled "eel girl" on the internet (it's very NSFW). That will leave an image in your psyche that will obliterate any and everything spungo would ever come up with.
I cannae wait to get home...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 13:20      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
]Do a search for a movie titled "eel girl" on the internet (it's very NSFW). That will leave an image in your psyche that will obliterate any and everything spungo would ever come up with.

As exciting as it sounds, I've got enough people trying to get me to watch Two Girls One Cup that I think I'm going to pass. [Eek!]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 14:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon party
Goatse
Tubgirl

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 21:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me starts twitching

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 23:51      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me busts out the hand lotion

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 23:57      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me wonders how eel girl gets them to come out one at a time like that...

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture