homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » An aussie xmas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An aussie xmas
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 18:44      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought it would be the closest fit being about international stuff and all.

Anyway, I got a email from Shredder today asking about what an aussie xmas was like, and I started writing a whole heap of stuff to him, then suddenly thinking that the rest of you might want to know what xmas is like down here as well. So here goes [Wink]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We have a very tacky xmas. Traditional xmas decorations don't really gel here, as it's very very hot, but still shops persist with the "snow" covered xmas trees, santa in his full regalia (I feel realllly sorry for the guys in the santa suits) around this time of year. Some malls/shops are a bit classier and will try to aussiefy the christmas decorations but most are very unoriginal. Xmas for me means:

- A very very hot xmas day. Some (silly) purists might still try to do a roast ham on the day, but most of Sydney will enjoy ready prepared cold lobster/oysters/prawns/salad. The Sydney fishmarkets actually open 24hrs around xmas/new years to cope with demand. Christmas day will find a lot of us down at the beach with a beer cooler and seafood. It will be very crowded ;p If you live near the beach you will hear a lot of ambulance sirens as yet another tourist takes a swim to cool off after a zillion beers.

- Bushfires. We always have some idiot starting forest fires around this time. There is a permanent smokiness in the air from burning leaves and once time I was spending xmas day with friends near the airport (close to the fires) and we did get "snow" fluttering down all day (black ash from the nearby blazes).

- Giant Xmas trees in Martin Place (http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/christmas/MajorEvents/MartinPlaceConcert.asp)/QVB (http://www.whats-on-in-sydney.com.au/whatson.asp?id=3772) as well as the big department store David Jones dressing up its shop windows.

- Yes, we are all in shorts and summer frocks. And thongs. It is way too hot otherwise. You will find that many stores will run out of fans/air conditioners.

- There are no kangaroos bouncing down the main street in Sydney. Sorry. ;p

- I find that xmas is very much a non event.. I think that Sydney siders get much more excited about NYE. It's a kind of annual thing that on NYE you go and camp for a spot around the harbour on NYE day and wait for the fireworks that night. They are pretty spectacular [Wink]

Posts: 29 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 20:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I'd miss the lights here (but maybe you have them up at night?) but other than that and the fires, your description of Christmas in Australia sounds way better than what we have here.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 02:57      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ohhhh.. in the cab coming home tonight I realized I forgot the best part of Christmas...

- Eating mangoes in the bathtub hehe. It may seem really weird but they are very messy things and thats what my mom used to do when I was eating them when I was little. Nowadays I know it's Christmas when I start seeing the mangoes and cherries appearing in the supermarket.

We do have lights.. in certain suburbs of Sydney. As it's quite multicultural here, not everyone gets into the spirit of Christmas. We do have a lot of decorations up in the city proper, but only certain suburbs really go the full hog with lights.

Yeah, christmas isn't too bad here.. and this year I plan to spend it at home with Super Mario Galaxy.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 16:41      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, is this an appropriate place to reminisce about how last year a bunch of us sent xmas cards to each other? Sure was fun getting all those cards. If I can get my act together I'll send cards to all the addresses I have from last year. Assuming I saved them. Anyway, if your address changed I'd appreciate a correction and/or cease & desist order [Smile]

And if you're really jonesing for a card but don't know if I have your address... a quick PM should fix that.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 19:23      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would love a card. I'm making my own this year so msg me if you want one [Wink]

Miss B.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 19:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you're starting, we might as well put up a topic for everyone to post their willingness to exchange Holiday cards

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 19:39      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the first inaugural GC Xmas Card exchange. Twas good fun.

On the whole Aussie Xmas thing, my family are more traditional with the whole turkey and ham deal. We usually do the seafood/bbq on Boxing Day with more extended family.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 20:32      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As kids, how many of you thought Boxing Day was literal? [Smile]

Rings all over the country [Smile] .

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 21:26      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe Shredder.. not for me as I was an only child. Showered with presents but no one to box *sniffles*

Actually this xmas I want to be foolish, slave in the kitchen and try to make a Thompsons turkey (http://www.bigdaddyskitchen.com/Tall%20Tales%20and%20Anecdotes/Stories/Morton%20Thompson's%20Turkey.htm). Anyone done this before?

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2007 23:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Honestly, I'd miss the lights here (but maybe you have them up at night?)

Yankee Christmas decorations are a bit glitzy for our tastes, we aussies like to keep things simple. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 12:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Honestly, I'd miss the lights here (but maybe you have them up at night?)

Yankee Christmas decorations are a bit glitzy for our tastes, we aussies like to keep things simple. [Wink]
Umm... just one teensy problem there...

It was actually done by Carson Williams of Mason, Ohio. The guy in Australia just followed the instructions that Carson put online to prove that it was real and not a fake animation of still photos put together into a movie.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2007 14:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It was actually done by Carson Williams of Mason, Ohio. The guy in Australia just followed the instructions that Carson put online

Thank you Steen, I'm quite relieved to know we can blame the bloody yanks for this one. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture