homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » This a sample letter I plan to write to Dr. Phil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This a sample letter I plan to write to Dr. Phil
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 09:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All __________________________ This a sample letter I plan to write to Dr. Phil

Dear Dr. Phil

I have often watched your show and know of your protectiveness of children. I have an observation to relate to you and your audience. How do you protect your children at a City Park? This fall my wife and I went to see our grand children off as their mother came to pick them up and take them back to Florida.

As we often do, we had our three year old Siberian with us, this is not a friendly looking dog, she minds well and is tolerant of being on a leash. So Grand Ma, My self, the dog, grand children, neighbor girl and what not went to the town park so the kids could play until their mother arrived.

Now is when the story gets interesting, The Dog became a kid magnet, swarms of toddler to preteens came to pet the dog. I am leery of strange kids and how she would react so I took the time to teach the kids not to approach too fast and let the dog get used to each of them. During this time not one parent came over to see what was going on, at one time there were at least ten kids around the dog, but not one parent. As the dog started to show she was uneasy with the situation I and the wife started to walk her around, the kids followed, we might as well have been the Pied Piper. Enough I put the dog in the Van and had trouble because some of the kids wanted to get in the van with her. Still no parents. I get the door closed, locked (windows ajar) and walked back to where all of our people were. Kids still surrounded the van. Parents no where to be seen.

Please Dr. Phil warn parents, I hope stalkers do not watch your show, for tips, as I would feel that the message was ruined.

Any comments from this august forum?

Could I say the message better?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 10:09      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on how old the kids were, I do not think the problem was that the parents were not there watching every move but that the parents had not taught thier children to go in (or near) strangers cars. BY the time I was eight I pretty much had free roam of our neiborhood and schoold grounds with my bike, for the whole afternoon. I just had to show up for dinner on time. I don't think that kids need to be in sight of their parents at every moment if they were taught to scream and yell if someone they don't know trys to give them candy or lure them somewhere.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 10:40      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, are the people that isolated out there that they've never seen a dog before?

I think you stated everything clearly enough.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 13:41      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree that kids shouldn't be getting this close to a strangers car/dog.

But I don't think teaching kids about what to do and what not to do is fool proof. I do believe kids need to be taught these kind of things. But kids are easily persuaded into doing something even if they have been taught not too.

I believe the best option is to have all your bases covered and that means like MoMan said, to go to the city park with your kids.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 16:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Again _______________________ It just felt that in this day and times that no one was looking out for these kids, and the one little girl was most certainly going to get into the van with the dog. I am not the picture of clean cut, I am an asphalt warrior, I look like a biker. None of the adults seemed to notice that a bunch of kids were following me around.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 19:10      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo-Man,

It's tough to see kids who aren't raised to be more wary of strangers.

A dog is a big magnet, too. I bet there aren't a lot of dogs like yours in Florida and it was quite an attraction for the kids.

Too bad that some of them are raised to be kidnapper bait.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 04:17      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a study I saw. Damn but I cant remember where/what, I am sorry or i would post a link.

But the researchers were giving the whole stranger danger spiel. You know, dont talk to strangers, if a stranger comes up get your grown up etc etc. Dont beleive them, get your mom etc.

Then a few minutes later they pretended to leave and hid and watched as they had a grown male come up to them and say hi and introduce himself, then had him say, I lost my dog, he is just a little puppy, his name is....oh no will you help me find him? he must be very scared.

Bam, off the kid went. Between the dog and the name they felt it wasnt a stranger and they were helping.

Too many parents think that their little snowflake is just so intelligent, so advanced, so wonderfully behaved that gosh golly they would never ever do something so idiotic so they dont watch them. Even the smartest kid is still a small child and does not think like an adult.

send the letter.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 07:05      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you have no idea how awesome your dog really looks? [Big Grin]
Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 09:53      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 7 year old, he loves dogs and cats alike,
I took the time to teach him to ask first approach slow, and be gentle. he is not allowed out after dark, and when hes out playing either myself or Liz is out there watching him.

however everything we do to protect our loved ones, can lead to one of two things, the kids being sheltered and naive, or to confident in the fact that the parents will bail the out if they get in trouble.

I believe there is a lot to be said for exploring on your own. heck I had to walk 3 miles home with blood running down my leg when I wrecked my bike, never mind that I found out later that I fractured my shin. I learned a very important lesson that day to ride with friends and not alone.

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 12:56      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, send the letter and let us know when you're on the show! Dr. Phil will have a hay-day with that one.

I think kids brains aren't developed enough to think through situations and realize dangers when it's smack in their face. So, it's really up to the parents to protect. Their brains should be developed enough to comprehend dangerous situations, so I don't know what's up with them! [shake head]

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 14:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All ________________________ I did send the show the same text I posted here, so now it is just wait and see,

As those of you know from my many postings I look like a rough edged biker as a filter for who I really am, those that can see past type of attire are usually kids and people I do care to meet those that are put off I don't kneed to know. Oh by the way almost all the bikers I know are truly soft inside sort of like a burnt marshmellow.

I do know that if we get invited, the Mrs will want to hose me down and clean me off, so if I appear clean and shaven it will be under duress.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 23:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Send the letter.

I remember the stranger danger spiel. It never did much for me. It's either in the kid to be wary or it isn't. As a child I was very skittish around new people (some might argue I still am). Not even a puppy would have melted my ice back then. I also had a big-ass dog of my own to keep me company. :/

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 11:22      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo-Man________You neglected to mention that that your van looks like this:

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 16:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n Vic ___________________________ You got the wrong van, its the one with the loud speaker that plays Yankee Doodle.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture