homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Hate Crimes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hate Crimes
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 15:50      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate crimes are up in the USA.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3887681&page=1

No real surprise really, as the far right lunatic fringe seems to be getting its way in this country.

Hate crimes, for the ignorant few who spew "aren't all crimes hate crimes?", are an extension of well-founded legal principles that hold conspiracy a crime.

In the USA, the majority of the people are well aware that there is a minority culture that exists here that cultivates its racial, religious and sexual hatreds and expresses those hatreds in a violent and criminal manner. These activities are nothing less than conspiracy and the majority of our society is sick of it.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 16:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic _________________________ The biggest hate monger is Disney, whoa you say. Well Disney owns ABC. and quite a few radio and TV outlets (stations). Now think Rush Limburger, Sean Hannity, Dr. Laura, and the other non-tolerent personalities that are on the air, who owns those stations, You guessed it ABC (Disney). We are no longer moving toward one another but putting up barriors and walls gated communities moving to the burbs, to flee the hate. Then there are those that want both sides to hate each other for what ever their purpose is.

My question to you Colonel, has our utopian experiment failed?

I sure hope not, but I fear Humpty Dumpty has fallen.

How are we going to put him back together again when the whole crowd is not with them I won't where are my people. The air strikes on the World Trade Center did not unify us like Pearl Harbor did, and events after haven't helped either.

It's almost time to turn the Ensign over.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 19:24      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo-man,

Our government is burdened by giving us constitutional rights. Corporations have only one obligation: to make money. As an employee of a corporation if you speak against it you can be fired-- there is no freedom of speech. George W. Bush promised to run this country like a corporation. Take it from there.

As for Disney, Walter and his minions have always fed off the fears of youth. Now you are surprised that it feeds off the fears of a nation?

The syndicated radio hosts you write about don't even have a plurality of market share in most of their markets -- particularly the major ones. They profit because the cost of picking up a syndicated talk host is cheaper than hiring a good local DJ. The Supremes made a lot of that that happen a couple of decades ago when they declared the people no longer owned the airwaves and threw out the fairness doctrine.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
erynthenerd
Mini Geek
Member # 12416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 22:12      Profile for erynthenerd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pick up a copy of 'Crooked Little Vein' by Warren Ellis. It doesn't hit the nail right on the head with this one, but it touches on some of the same things that are being said here.

And Warren Ellis is a god. Everyone should let him fsck their minds every once in awhile.

--------------------
Fresh Meat

Posts: 66 | From: Central Washington | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2007 17:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic ______________________ And Jefferson warned us that it would happen, as did Franklin. You probably would not be supprised but many of the GOP supporters will say something like Franklin never said that or Jefferson never said that, but they did and we had been warned.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2007 19:47      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you quote one hateful thing that Rush or Sean Have said?

And for your information - it is the ratings alone that have driven the success of people like Rush and Sean.

They are on the air because people listen to them.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2007 19:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ratings don't indicate anything about quality. Reality shows are also highly rated, but that doesn't mean they aren't garbage.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2007 20:10      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does mean that more people would rather hear that than NPR.

Except Cartalk.

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2007 20:18      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey does anybody remember when Bush was campaigning and they tried to make him sound racist by asking why didn't he insist the people who killed James Byrd?

He responded with - they got the death sentence, what more could we do to them?

If we start punishing people because of their thoughts instead of their actions - Wow! that's a long hard road to travel.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2007 20:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well, idiots sounding off is always more fun than the news. That doesn't make it better. Just like candy tasting better than broccoli doesn't make candy more nourishing.

Seriously. There isn't a lot of punditry on NPR during the week. It happens, but mostly it's current events and programs like Fresh Air. You should try listening sometime. Just be careful - it recycles itself over the course of the day so if you start hearing the same shit over and over, it's time to change stations.

Science Friday is my favorite. Sometimes, if it's really good, the whole lab just stops and listens.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2007 21:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chesty wrote:
Could you quote one hateful thing that Rush or Sean Have said?

"Why should Blacks be heard? They're 12% of the population. Who the hell cares" - Rush Limbaugh

How you could possibly believe that someone as inflammatory as Limbaugh has never said anything racist or hateful is beyond me. [Roll Eyes]

And for your information - it is the ratings alone that have driven the success of people like Rush and Sean.

By that logic, we should look up to the washouts on American Idol since the washout show has had far higher ratings than virtually any other media.

William Hung for president!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2007 03:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chesty ______________________ The most insulting thing about that pompus a$$hat is when he claims that indipendants don't have an opinion.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2007 17:03      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't find Rush worth paying attention to back in the early '90s when he was at peak popularity, and I see nothing has changed, judging by those quotes.

As far as the original article and hate crimes, I take reporting of such increases with a grain of salt without further details, as there are a number of things that can throw the numbers off. They even point out in the article that there was a general increase in reporting for the past year:
quote:
One potential reason for last year's increase could be that almost 200 additional law enforcement agencies from around the country reported statistics for the year.
Increased press due to the Jena incident could spawn copycats for the next reporting year, but it also can increase awareness, possibly making the reporting of hate crime incidents more likely. Sometimes it's difficult to be sure if the incidents are on the rise or if they actually are just being reported more often.

I hardly think a 7.7% increase is cause for doom-and-gloom at this point, though.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2007 18:17      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Colonel Panic -- November 19, 2007 15:50
    yap yap yap yap yap yap
    (same old rant ..... "the evil righty conspiracy")

TheMoMan -- November 19, 2007 16:24
    yap yap yap yap yap yap

Colonel Panic -- November 19, 2007 19:24
    yap yap yap yap yap yap

TheMoMan -- November 20, 2007 17:43
    yap yap yap yap yap yap

Maybe no one should worry about blacks killed for fun, or out of boredom, or from being at the wrong place during a drug deal. Go ahead and only stop the "hate" crimes.

quote:
Bureau of Justice Statistics Black Victims of Violent Crime

In 2005 most homicides involving one victim and one offender ... about 93% of black homicide victims were murdered by someone of their race.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/bvvc.htm

Gee ... let's imagine .....
quote:
Black Murderer: This is the third time you've gotten me out of jail after I killed another black man.

White Supremacist Lawyer: Uh ... I'm ... I'm a Liberal! Power to the people! ... Bye, Hope to see you soon.

If you feel like being an idiotic lunatic, here's the part where you can say ...
quote:
Lunatic: Black people killing black people isn't a problem ... murder trials are really a conspiracy against the black man.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 19:35      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen = do you have an audio of that in context?
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 20:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Searching turns up the quote over half a million times. I don't have the inclination to go through them all when it's that overwhelming and there are absolutely no credible claims that he did not say it. You'd think Limbaugh, at least, would have -something- on his site refuting or denying it, but no... nothing that I saw.

So... why don't you find -one- instance where it is explained that he did not say it or how it was taken out of context?

If you do, I'll be happy to apologize for being mislead along with hundreds of thousands of other people who have posted that particular quote.

But then again, that's not the only offensive thing he's said or done. Go look for his imitation of the effect of Parkinson's on Michael J. Fox... it's on youtube and is rather easy to find. [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 23:48      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
November 29, 2007 20:00
But then again, that's not the only offensive thing he's said or done.

From the multi-million-dollar shock-jock contracts, it's clear that "offensive" sells and everything else is "boring." The only thing that changes is what market the media is selling to.

quote:
Buttercup:   You mock my pain.

Westley:   Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

-- "Princess Bride" (1987)

Equally extreme at the opposite end of the spectrum is the "political correctness" that lives in denial about the nature of the world.

FYI: Everything dies.... Some things die in a brutish fashion.

If the "Liberals" want to claim they don't say nasty, inappropriate things, then they're showing their hypocrisy.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture