homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Weather Channel Founder Speaks out (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Weather Channel Founder Speaks out
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2007 08:41      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think those windmills are pretty neat.

I don't think they are an eyesore personally, rather an engineering marvel. Still want to get a chance to tour one of these monsters.

-

This is about 45 minutes east of me out by Cabazon/Whitewater.

It looks like they have tours. But it doesn't look like they will let you inside. And that is what I really want to see.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2007 09:46      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe! I have seen this one from the inside. Impressive! (Too bad it got damaged and is out of service.)

Which makes me think, MoMan, that vertical axis windmills might be a solution for you; for example, see the lower one of this page; it can be installed practically anywhere, and doesn't have the big blades, you could go around the legislation.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2007 10:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All _________________________ You must remember that I am retarded ops retired and therefore can not go bank roll a large investment with a long term payback, I have put an old furnace fan squirrel cage on an electric motor and mounted vertical axis, not much luck. Near me is another retired machine builder that is also working on his own vert. machine. His was torn down from high winds.

His machine looks like a string of large funnels around a large wagon wheel, turns slow but has a lot of torque, he keeps putting too large of a dynamo on the output, that slows the wheel too much.

If I can get 250 watts per machine and put up 5-10 then I would have all the juice I could use. The DC motors I am planning on useing cost under thirty dollars each, I'm just working on blade design. Much like airplane props in reverse except they don't work well tried one already.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2007 10:41      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
Don't get me wrong because I am all for being green and recycling. However I had a teacher who had a doctorate in Geology. He said that it's quite possible that our effect on the environment is minimal in the grand scheme of things and what is probably causing the warming trend if there is one is the natural cycle of the Earth's climate changes over time. Of course he said this is only a theory but he considers it more likely than the idea that we were the whole reason that our climate was changing.

(Oh, yeah, I kinda forgot.)

Now, that's the kind of comment I can accept. He says it is "quite possible" (possibility, not certainty) that the effect is minimal "in the grand scheme of things".

The only thing I am concerned is: will humanity survive until climate finds a new balance? Because, after all, the way geologists are used at looking the time, humanity is very recent; and a few million years after its disappearance, yes, chances are Earth will be back to "normal". A super-eruption has probably a much greater impact than just about anything we humans could do in the same period, and yet Earth has survived a few of those. It's all a matter of the scale we are measuring our impact against.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2007 11:38      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Hi All _________________________ You must remember that I am retarded ops retired and therefore can not go bank roll a large investment with a long term payback, I have put an old furnace fan squirrel cage on an electric motor and mounted vertical axis, not much luck. Near me is another retired machine builder that is also working on his own vert. machine. His was torn down from high winds.

His machine looks like a string of large funnels around a large wagon wheel, turns slow but has a lot of torque, he keeps putting too large of a dynamo on the output, that slows the wheel too much.

If I can get 250 watts per machine and put up 5-10 then I would have all the juice I could use. The DC motors I am planning on useing cost under thirty dollars each, I'm just working on blade design. Much like airplane props in reverse except they don't work well tried one already.

Why don't you roll your own alternator? Make it three phase; that way you can easily step it up to move it over a large distance at less loss, then build a simple three-phase rectifier for it with some heavy-duty diodes.

I've been wanting to build my own windmill for a while. If I did, I'd probably make my own alternator for it, because that way I'd wouldn't lose any power through a transmission (because DC motors invariably require a speed-up to produce useable current), and it would produce power at pretty much any rpm.

On the other hand, there was a guy who made a wind generator that didn't use a turbine, but instead had a plane that oscillated (I'm thinking of one of those elk-calls or a reed for a clarinet) in a magnetic field and generated a (small) current that way.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2007 12:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All _________________________ My dad was an electrical engineer, from him I learned that the best generator is a magneto. That said why reinvent the wheel. I have some old Harley charging mags here (harley calls them alternators but the design is purely magneto) that will probably go into design V3 or V4. Right now the blade design is more important, if I can spin up a DC permanet magnet motor as a dynamo then the work to spin the harley mags makes sense.

On the topic of vertical axis when you look at the cylinder of effect only about one third of the cylinder is makein torque, as a horizontal fan the whole swept circle is into the wind.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
brainisfried
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3067

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2007 08:46      Profile for brainisfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, I'm all for windmills, nuclear power, walking and biking over driving, and efficiency in general. I just don't buy into global warming. Earth has gone through warming and cooling periods throughout history, long predating capitalism much less industrialization. If the goal truly is to reduce CO2 production, why were rapidly growing countries like China (#2 oil consumer, big-time coal user, minimal pollution controls) exempted from the Kyoto treaty? Why the jihad against nuclear power? Why the blatant hypocrisy with mansions (I'm talking to you Gore and Edwards), SUVs, jets and so forth, not to mention blocking attempts at putting up windmills (yeah you Sen. Kennedy)? Why the hissy fits when someone tries to build high-density housing that is inherently energy and resource efficient in "their" neighborhood when the obvious consequence is more lower-density development replacing farms?

And why the focus on CO2 when focusing on pollutants that are directly harmful to human health makes much more sense? Why are we still digging up mountains to burn coal when nuclear makes so much more sense for base load power? Why is the average environmentalist so incapable of picking the least bad option?

Global warming looks like another fake religion for people who are burned out on Communism, think that Christianity is icky, and are too wishy-washy to be real atheists.

My solution: nuclear power for the base load, augmented by wind/solar/hydro/etc where practical. Build safe bike routes and promote them so people will want to bike instead of drive, at least when the weather is agreeable. Berkeley, Portland, NYC, etc have made good progress here, no need for the Feds to get involved. If necessary, tax air pollution generation and offset it by cutting another regressive tax such as Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes here in America. Nothing complicated and it ought to make a huge difference.

Edit: I want the windmills that Jay Leno has:
http://www.pacwind.net/

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2007 10:06      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moman___________--have you seen these designs? THey look like a good idea for a smal scale.

helix shaped mills

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 08:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brainisfried & Ashitaka ________________________ I have studied both of those designs, The biggest problem for the small scale experimenter is balance, both axial and top of shaft loading as the damn thing spins. If it is basicly all in one plane the side loads on the bearing are very preditable. Now it the shaft gets too long the loads start getting very big needing more expensive bearings. Also Vertical shaft mills need a thrust bearing just to support the weight of the rotating mass. That does not mean that I am not trying both, but Horizontal is much easier to build and fly. Lets realy look at mills from a ship builders perspective, Paddle wheel, if it is totally under water, not much thrust to the ship, keep raising it and more and thrust for the boat. Most paddlewheel boat use less than ninety degrees of arc to push the boat but all that hardware has to come arround for the next dunking. Screw propellers only the shaft is lost motion the blades no matter where they are in the rotation provide push.

The topic of global warming is a huge debate, with battle lines drawn in the sand, so who does one belive. I my self believe, that right now there is a warming trend, is it man caused I dunno. However if I can get to the point of only buyin energy for vehichles then so much the better. I have started reseaching Geo energy, how far down do I have to drill to get hot enough water to heat this house?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 20:08      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The world is flat, too.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2007 05:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All ________________________ Wind 1 (one) TheMoMan 0 (zero) Last Friday I put up a small Vertical axis machine, at the install time We had a nice breeze just enought to start the rotor. Since then The Flag has hung limp, not once has the light attached to the output lit.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture