homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » 1000 Words

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1000 Words
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 15:21      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reluctant to start yet another thread that will most probably turn into yet another interminable dialogue of the deaf. However I found the photograph at the head of this article (via Daring Fireball), just as haunting as John Gruber did. I suspect it may in time prove to be one of the iconic images of this terrible business.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 16:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous _______________________ I do not have a way to express my regret that my country got the world into this mess.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 18:26      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah there is no more words to describe the war anymore. We all know how bad the situation is and I don't see anyway anyone can defend it.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2007 09:13      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haunting indeed. War is a brutal, messy business. Sadly, I'm sure the situation this image captures is just one more in a series that goes back millenia. The difference is that we now have the ability as a civilization to capture and transmit the image around the world in the blink of an eye.

Please understand that the preceding comments are not meant to support or decry the current US involvement in Iraq. We are where we are, regardless of how we got here.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2007 10:04      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some part of me thinks that these kinds of images should get wider circulation in order to inform any extremist recruit just what it means to detonate a device in the proximity of people -- just to make sure they're aware of how ugly and filthy these acts are -- just so they know that their sacrifice amounts to nothing but a pile of other people's bloody and charred flesh.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2007 15:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extremists didn't do that. That was mercenaries.

I saw that image a few days ago. It made my stomach turn. I couldn't believe they printed it, but I'm glad they did.

Somehow, just from reading your post, Calli, I knew that this was the pic you were linking to.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2007 16:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Extremists didn't do that. That was mercenaries.

Please.
Bad people hire mercenaries.
We have 'security contractors'.

btw - there's an aussie law against mercenaries fighting in foreign wars, our government conveniently looks the other way for the aussie firm responsible for Calli's photo.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2007 17:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to be a serious lack of accountability regarding mercenaries in Iraq. When I read about these incidents, no one seems to have a clue who the people are or who is responsible for their actions. At least with a military incident there seems to usually be at least one officer who gets named in media reports and dragged through all the hearings and such, but with these it's just a group of unknown "contractors". The facelessness of the whole thing is very troubling.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2007 19:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to hear some funky Dixieland
Pretty mama come and take me by the hand
By the hand, take me by the hand pretty mama
Come and dance with your daddy all night long

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture