homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Find your candidate! (for US prez)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Find your candidate! (for US prez)
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 29, 2007 09:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460

I seem to agree most with with Dennis Kucinich. And here I thought I was an Obama Girl. [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2007 09:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
57 for Kucinich (then 50 for Dodd)

Irregardless of how much we agree on topics I am going to vote for obama or clinto, whoever I think will be able to beat the rebublican candidate.

This is why I like the french system more with two round voting. I could vote for the candidate that most supports my ideals in the first round, but in the second round I could vote for the lesser of two evils.

In america I think people votenot for the candidate that supports thier ideals but for the candidate they think vcan beat the person they absolutly don't want to be president.

post scriptum

Sam Brownback is the only candidate that agrees with me on Iraq (I scored a 12 with him) which for me is the most important thing in the upcoming election.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2007 11:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also scored highest for Kucinich. Too bad there's not a chance in hell he'll get the nomination. [Frown]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2007 12:02      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My score was tied between Obama and Clinton. Still, I definitely prefer Obama.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2007 12:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So do I.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2007 15:14      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460

I seem to agree most with with Dennis Kucinich. And here I thought I was an Obama Girl. [Razz]

I'm Kucinich too. But I knew that when I signed up to support his campaign months ago. [Wink]

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2007 15:48      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giuliani, 61. Hmmmm, and here I thought I was a Ron Paul kinda guy... I think I'll still vote for him anyways.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2007 17:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't even know Osama bin Laden was running for president, and yet here I am agreeing with 64% of his policies.

Oh, sorry, I misread that, it actually says Kucinich.

Never heard of him, but he's obviously a highly intelligent, thoughtful and well-informed guy. He can have my vote when we get around to formalizing the current arrangement and make oz part of the USA.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2007 20:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Number one for me was Dodd, but I don't think he has a chance of winning. Number 2 and 3 were tied between Obama and Clinton. I was planning on voting for Obama anyway.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2007 02:46      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought it was a self-fulfilling prophesy when people decide not to vote for the candidate that they truly believe is best because they don't think that person has any chance of winning.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2007 18:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The solution is to do away with your antiquated 18th Century voting system, and update to a 19th or maybe even 20th Century system.

There's plenty of voting systems out there that don't suffer from the "If I vote for X, I may be helping Y get elected" flaw.

Electoral reform is difficult to achieve though, every politician thinks "The system that put me in power must be good".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2007 20:40      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
I've always thought it was a self-fulfilling prophesy when people decide not to vote for the candidate that they truly believe is best because they don't think that person has any chance of winning.

I suspect some people may feel burned byt he 2000 election. "Well, if I'd not voted for Nader, who I knew had no chance of winning, I could have made the Florida fiasco a moot point." Still, I often vote for a candidate who has a slim or no chance of winning because I like to believe that my vote sends a message regardless of the winner. Call me naive, but you gotta have faith in something.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2007 15:47      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh errr a bizarre occurrence just iced my post...

Anyway to recap on it...

Here in the UK we have a strange system that only cares for the "first past the post" (i.e. highest scorer)

But we tend to generate 3 main sorts of voter in the General Elections...

1) I vote for this party because I always have and my family always have...

2) I am voting for this lot because they actually have policies that overall are closest to what I want to see...

3) I am voting for the party that is most likely to prevent the lot I DON'T want to from winning from getting in...

This is all a bit odd because for many voters the vote for anyone other than the "obvious winner" seems wasted unless there is enough "swing" to unseat the sitting candidate... (By elections are a bit different, we think your system is odd, but ours most definitely is...)

Anyway there is a small but now growing number of people who consider the "spoilt paper" a valid comment (i.e. "None of the Above")

Once that was a tiny minority that could be written off as the "stupid" - Now I am not sure that most parties don't keep an eye on it... That is the margin that allows the extremists in on the By Elections...

Whatever - I am rambling - vote with your conscience and to the best effect as allowed by your version of the electoral process.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 00:10      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
top 6 on mine were:

John Edwards
Score: 42

Barack Obama
Score: 40

Hillary Clinton
Score: 40

Chris Dodd
Score: 39

Dennis Kucinich
Score: 37

Rudy Giuliani
Score: 36

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture