homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » "I for one, am outraged, and insist that you be, too."

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "I for one, am outraged, and insist that you be, too."
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 01:45      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article made me laugh a bit.

quote:
These days, mock outrage is used by every side of every dispute. It's fair enough to criticize something your opponent said while secretly thanking your lucky stars that he said it... When so many people are clamoring for a chance to swoon that they each have to take a number and when the landscape is so littered with folks lying prostrate and pretending to be dead that it starts to look like the end of a Civil War battle re-enactment, this isn't spontaneous mass outrage. This is choreography.

The constant calls for political candidates to prove their bona fides by condemning or denouncing something somebody else said or to renounce a person's support or to return her tainted money are a tiresome new tic in American politics. They're turning politics into a game of "Mother, May I?" Did you say "Here is my plan for health-care reform"? Uh-oh, you were supposed to say "I condemn MoveOn.org's comments on General Petraeus, and here is my plan for health-care reform."

Why have political arguments often become about what people don't say, rather than what they do? It also called to mind a few of the political discussions in these forums, in which not being "outraged" over a current event or stupid comment by some political/public figure or another was somehow very "telling".

Politics just seems to be the wrong kind of thing to get outraged about in the first place, IMO.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 02:21      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a way I agree with you, but must admit that I do wish more people would be pissed off about what I am pissed off about. Maybe it is just part of human nature.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 23, 2007 14:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha ha , great article. [thumbsup]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 14:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great article, I look forward to plagiarizing this really succinct explanation of why Political Correctness gets up my nose...
quote:
The problem with political correctness is that it turns discussions of substance into arguments over etiquette.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 19:10      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thoughtful piece that makes a related similar point.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2007 09:26      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Great article, I look forward to plagiarizing this really succinct explanation of why Political Correctness gets up my nose...
quote:
The problem with political correctness is that it turns discussions of substance into arguments over etiquette.

Attacking the idea of "political correctness" almost always scores cheap debating points, particularly if you define it as narrowly as this quote does. I could however just as easily say that political correctness is what extremists call the good manners and consideration for others (that they generally lack). There is after all a valid reason why words like "nigger" can still shock people.

I would in fact suggest the opposite, that far from excessive political correctness being the problem, it is an excess of emotionally loaded language in debate, and a conscious use of every logical fallacy from ad hominem attacks to appeals to authority that bedevils political discourse now.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture