homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Don't Tase Me Bro!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't Tase Me Bro!
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2007 19:04      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/09/20/1189881651002.html

While the tasering of Americans who publicly ask about the impeachment of GWB is receiving world airplay -- creating the GREATEST P.R. COUP FOR TERRORISTS EVER --GWB and his Blackwater thugs are reigning HELLFIRE on innocent citizens in Iraq.

That's how the USA shows the world the path to democracy and freeedom of speech?

"Any-von who kvestzions za fearless leader vill be tasered!"

This schmuck could not get more world attention if he stood in front of a row of Chinese taniks.

Tianaman Squared.

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

GO RIGHTIES!!!!

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2007 19:31      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes!!! There was a link in there for the tshirthell "Don't tase me bro!" T-shirt! (Whewt <3 that site).

Also, this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/19/student.tasered/index.html?iref=newssearch

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2007 00:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think john Stewert put this best.

What we have here is a case of an overreaction by the police and douchebaggary by the student.

nuf' said

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2007 02:57      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

What we have here is a case of an overreaction by the police and douchebaggary by the student.

nuf' said

Brilliantly cited & agreed with.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2007 03:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic ____________________________ This event showed some of the things I fear. That elected and appointed officials no longer feel they are public servants and that law enforment feels that they are above the law.

Now where are those crates of tea for the party at the harbor.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2007 08:32      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

nuf' said

That's about right. There's some evidence the student intended to make a scene.

PDF of the officers' report

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2007 09:15      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should have shot the idiot in the head.

End of story.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 12:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend lives in Gainesville. He says that it may be his first tasering, but not his first time on the news down there.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2007 13:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic ________________ While this individual may have asked for his treatment. How about the poor woman in Ohio? I know that there is more to the story but she is sitting in a friends car and a cop opens it up and demands she get out. So where did the fourth amendment go.

What happoned did he miss out on the donut special because he got a call, so somebody has to pay. Tazors render someone incapable of fighting back, it also renders them incapabile of compling to directions. And what is with the kick to the back sides?

Hey what is your opinion on Tazors? Are they a tool for police brutality or cruelity?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2007 13:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorta funny

Vry funny

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2007 14:20      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Colonel Panic ________________ While this individual may have asked for his treatment. How about the poor woman in Ohio? I know that there is more to the story but she is sitting in a friends car and a cop opens it up and demands she get out. So where did the fourth amendment go.

What happoned did he miss out on the donut special because he got a call, so somebody has to pay. Tazors render someone incapable of fighting back, it also renders them incapabile of compling to directions. And what is with the kick to the back sides?

Hey what is your opinion on Tazors? Are they a tool for police brutality or cruelity?

In the end I think tazors have the ability to save lives. There are situations where a police officer can use his tazor instead of his gun.

I think though that tazors should not be used to simply make someone follow a police officers orders. They should only be used for protection.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2007 17:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka ________________________ My point compleatly, I would like to get that fat cop up here on the farm out in the electric fence area and give her my cattle prod and see how he likes it.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2007 21:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the hands of a "good cop" a taser is a good thing, it provides a non-lethal means of self-defence, and will probably save lives.

In the hands of a "bad cop" it's an instrument of torture.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2007 13:19      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the UK, Police tasers are seen as an alternative to guns, for those situations where there is clear and immediate danger to life. For example, if some crazy is running around the shopping centre off his noddle on PCP or crack and lashing out with a bread knife, he must be fully subdued without the risks involved with getting close enough to use the baton, but you don't really need to shoot him.

This incident was unforgiveable. Yes, clearly the student intended to make a scene - that's what students do. They harangue public figures in an attempt to force them to answer uncomfortable questions. What actually was the worst offence he committed...asking questions which had not been approved beforehand by the PR people?...or maybe refusing to leave a public meeting when asked?

What worries me is not that police officers involved over-reacted, as has been suggested, but that they did not actually react to the situation at all. If the student had been physically disruptive, or his behaviour had become violent, what the police did would then have been an over-reaction. But, sadly, they were too fscking lazy to react at all - they just reached for the taser.

Five or six officers, and they just couldn't be bothered to simply 'cuff him and carry him out - just one mouthy, but essentially non-violent, student...and they did not know how to cope.

God help... I mean bless..America.

Edit: two typos corrected and an adjective added, for clarification [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2007 13:55      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
What worries me is not that police officers involved over-reacted, as has been suggested, but that they did not actually react to the situation at all. If the student had been physically disruptive, or his behaviour had become violent, what the police did would then have been an over-reaction. But, sadly, they were too fscking lazy to react at all - they just reached for the taser.

Five or six officers, and they just couldn't be bothered to simply cuff him and carry him out - just one mouthy, but non-violent, student...and they did not know how to cope.

I wouldn't consider it laziness, necessarily. I believe a lot of it comes from the desire to avoid possible injury to the officers or the suspect. From what I've heard from some officers I know, they tend to regard tasers as the safest option for subduing anyone who's struggling a lot, as that kid did towards the back of the auditorium.

I think their main mistake was probably in jumping in too soon. It might have been better just to hold off a bit longer and see if he was going to wear himself out once the microphone was turned off, but I don't know if the outcome would have changed much.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2007 01:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a suicide report.

"About four hours into the standoff, authorities said they moved into a neighboring room and tried to bring him inside from off the ledge by offering him a cigarette. Authorities said a struggle ensued and that a Taser was used on him.

However, they said the Taser did not phase Behlen and that he leaped from the fifth-floor window head first"

Am I the only sane person on earth. I think maybe he didn't jump but was tazed and fell?? It seems pretty obvious to me. Has a tazor ever "not effected" someone.

[Mad] WTF, why aren't the news media ll over this?

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2007 08:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka ______________________ This why I do not like cattle prods and or shock collars, you become feared so badly that the creature will try anything to escape from being near you, even if it means running down the electric fence.

Now would this equate to humans draw your own conclusions.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture