homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Simply Horriffic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Simply Horriffic
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 09, 2007 15:23      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just can't think of anything appropriate to say after I saw this....

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/090707A.shtml

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 2 posted September 09, 2007 19:22      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*huge sad sigh*

Sometimes I'm naive enough to believe this stuff doesn't happen anymore.

*huge helpless sad sigh*

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 03:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty ___________________ There just is nothing appropriate to say. I feel we have a right to chase Bin Laden all over the world, but WHY IRAQ?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 05:15      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
BooBooKitty ___________________ There just is nothing appropriate to say. I feel we have a right to chase Bin Laden all over the world, but WHY IRAQ?

I know... :-/

And yet, this is disturbing as well.. So it really makes you wonder wtf is Dubya's real agenda in all that's been going on while he's been in office?

http://www.matthewgood.org/2007/09/the-man-of-no-concern/

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 05:28      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty ____________________ He wants to finish what his Daddy started, but his Daddy had a UN mandate and when the UN said you have run them out of Q-eight stop now, he did.

As to the sexual advances from other soldiers I don't know how to reply. There is no excuse.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 05:42      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is absolutely no excuse. It almost sets a double standard. You can get away with it in the military but not in civilian life. That is utterly ridiculous.

A soldier should be treated the same no matter what sex. A soldier has a job to do and the CO needs to ensure that they do their job. To take advantage of rank undermines the integrity of the chain of command. So much for discipline in the military.

hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 11 posted September 10, 2007 08:30      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I served in the Navy 4 years and did service for other 3 letter agencies.

Sexual harrasment is not dismissed unless it is unfounded for good reason before a board.

Question, how did they get her cell phone number to call her... did she provoke any of this.

this was a very single sided interview.

Now does this stuff still happen. YES it does, but women want equal rights, men are horny, and those with power can make your life hell.

the other thing that wasnt mentioned was if she was an MP and she was depressed. why didnt the medical core Section 86 her? becasue she was in a postion of athuoraty.

anyways, the truth will be muddled down with inconsistancys and BS untill the story is forgoten.
Personaly if i was her i would have shot his sorry ass, and called it a lovers quarrel.

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 08:45      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to follow up on that equal rights thing before the police show up...

Really quick up shot on this. Women wanted to go into the military quoting equal rights, ok they got in.
Now what.... for centuryís the military has been formed mostly of men.
The navy wonít allow women to serve on submarines. Hmmm I wonder why.

Personally I think they should just have the womenís core and the mens core, and let them go to the dance once a year to see each other.

Oh some other things that still happen in the military, gay bashing (donít ask donít tell.) hazing, DUI, wife beating.

Personally i believe itís a moral degradation of our society. And if knew how to clean it up I would.

(What the hell ever happend to please and thank you)

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 10:18      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hal9000:
Oh some other things that still happen in the military, gay bashing (donít ask donít tell.) hazing, DUI, wife beating.

Personally i believe itís a moral degradation of our society. And if knew how to clean it up I would.

I'd say it's a mix of being under intense pressure, being told they're the best, and the very human fear of not being up to par. A dangerous mix. Wife beating is also common in police forces, for instance. (Well, last time I heard of, anyway.)

C'mon, put a gang of young men together, give them some esprit de corps by having them go through harsh training, repeating again and again that their lives may depend of the guy next to them, and you get a group with high running hormones willing to take on anything and anyone. Rapes/slaughtering of local civilians by invading armies have alway been the norm, for as long as history can recall. Oh, and substance abuse, too.

But lately, those army men have been asked to ask reproachlessly, at all times. Reporters, photographers, and their own techno gadgets can turn as evidence against themselves, revealing to the public the ugly sides that shows up when living under constant pressure in ennemy territories.

So for someone to show up drunk and forcing a woman to have sex (it could have been a any woman, really - the woman amongst their rank is just the closest at hand) isn't much of a suprise, really. It's when higher ranking officers decide to turn a blind eye that it becomes really ugly, as it says that there are two kind of people in the army, the "real men", and the rest (gay, women, conscious objectors, etc.).

There will always be crimes and moral lapses in every given society (as in "group of people living together"), and army is no exception. (Actually, the proportion is probably higher in the army, due to the very nature of people forming that society. Even if the vast majority joins the ranks to "serve the country", to "defend the civil rights" and such, how many of them are there so they can have a chance at killing without going to jail?) But justice should still be the same for all within.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture