homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Uh oh. Who do we believe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uh oh. Who do we believe?
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 12:06      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another piece on the Green/Global Warming Issues...

This reminded me of Serenak's question from a while back. "How do the 'non-atmospheric science-types' gauge which news source to be credible?"

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 12:16      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to that theory the worst thing a person can eat is Mexican food. Cows arnt the only ones the emit methane.

Mmmmmmm steak burrito means twice the polution.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 12:22      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Organic cows burp more?

How do they reckon that?

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 12:28      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
Organic cows burp more?

How do they reckon that?

You know, BA, I am wishing you hadn't asked that.

Now my mind is going to obsess about the poor grant-writer who had to somehow describe this research in order to get it funded. And then there's the poor slob who had to sit out in the field listening to and counting all the cow belches and farts. Whew!

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 12:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
Organic cows burp more?

How do they reckon that?

My guess is that inorganic ones don't burp at all. [Razz]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 12:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What with all the concern these days about CO2 emissions, getting funding for this wouldn't be such an issue.

But yeah, I pity the poor grad students who get sent out to take those sorts of meassurements. I feel especially sorry for them when thy have to explain their work at a holiday dinner. "I measure cow farts" just opens you up to all kinds of hell. I can at least just spit out a bunch of gobbledegook, ask for some more bread, and get them to leave me alone for the rest of the evening.

Of course, no one in that article is making any mention of another solution: eat less meat. Less meat = less cows.

BA: it didn't say whether or not cows prodcuing organic milk burp or fart more. It did say that these cows produce less milk, so the amount of methane produced per liter of milk produced increases.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 13:00      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was speaking in response to the statement in the actual article that EATING organic beef is contributing to more emissions. I saw that dairy part. Do organic cows also produce less meat? Probably. Whatever.
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 13:34      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the premise of the study is narrow enough that I feel comfortable ignoring it, for the most part. The only really good point in there is that buying local, fresh foods is a good bet for keeping down emissions. I already do my best to buy local, anyway (considering where I live, why wouldn't I?).

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 13:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Non-organic cows can be given antibiotics and growth hormone to accelerate how fast they get to the right weight for slaughtering. Organic cows take longer to reach the same way, so they've eaten more and produced more gas by the time they become steaks.

... and this is how the EPA measures their belches (one way, at least).

I didn't see anything that explained how they measure farts, but I'm thinking it's probably not something I want to see anyway so I didn't look very hard.

As far as the study goes... they're assuming you get all your calories from beef. Nobody does that and stays healthy for long.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 13:46      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that link, Steen. Right after the first freeze this winter, I'm going out to lick the flagpole.

Meanwhile I'll just settle for the usual dull fork in the eye routine.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 21:07      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well - I'm glad to see the EPA.GOV has photocopied a pamphlet from 1962 to explain their high tech science methods!

That's government progress right there.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 00:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a technique works well, why replace it?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 00:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more glaring ommision in this article and study is the fact that if you walk to the store, you will over time buy much less than if you drive, because you have to carry everthing you buy home with you (unless you buy one of those two wheeled grocery bags). Having three full groceriy bags doesn't seem that bad if you are only walking our to the parking lot with them. You probably wouldn't even bother to take a cart with you.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 09:48      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
One more glaring ommision in this article and study is the fact that if you walk to the store, you will over time buy much less than if you drive,

Not doubting there is some truth to it. It just may be hard to prove in one way or another.

I would be curious to see if they could figure out a way to empirically evaluate something like that.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 10:18      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
One more glaring ommision in this article and study is the fact that if you walk to the store, you will over time buy much less than if you drive,

Not doubting there is some truth to it. It just may be hard to prove in one way or another.

I would be curious to see if they could figure out a way to empirically evaluate something like that.

Soda and bottled water are the main two things I don't buy much of anymore because of wieght. It is not subconscious, I think always if I am going to buy something heavy if I feel like carrying it home.

If I were to test my theory scientifically, I would buy the customer information from local supermarkets. You know those member cards they have customers bring with them and scan to earn points. I would them contact say 25,000 to 50,000 of these customers to find if they typically walk or drive to buy thier groceries. Throw out the entries that don't respond and then one has a decent pool of data to analyse. I would bet the people who walk typically buy much less soda than the people who drive.

I have never filled one of those customer cards out to earn points but maybe there is a "do you drive or walk" question on the application and my local market may already know the answer to this question.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 10:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good points.

The only issue I would see is this. If they drove, would that same person buy the super lifetime 10lb jug of mayonnaise rather than the smaller container?

It would seem absolutely logical that a person that has to lug shopping bags 10 blocks would probably not purchase in the same weights or quantities as someone rolling in an Escalade. But would that same person readjust their habits depending on their mode of transportation?

For example, I do drive and still buy rather conservatively. I just never see the need for mass quantities of anything. I may stock up in single runs with items such as canned goods and then let my supplies dwindle. But with most of the items I do get, I tend to buy fresh and in amounts that will last a set amount of time. So driving or walking I doubt there would be much of a change in my purchasing habits.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2007 14:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no. It cannot be, that this event didn't make the mainstream news, can it?
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 18:06      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wait - I never saw Matt Lauer chatting it up with Dr. Klaus-Martin Schulte Like he did with the dumb blonde from South Carolina. Why did this tidbit go unnoticed?
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture