homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Nebraska Bans Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nebraska Bans Sex
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 04:25      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goddamn, the Midwest is embarrassing. First Kansas, with Freddy Phelps and "creation science." Then South Dakota, with their assault on women's rights. Now Nebraska...

State workers frustrated by fear of controversy

Charles Housman said the notice came in late spring 2005: Gov. Dave Heineman’s office was clamping down on what state Health and Human Services System programs could say in communication with the public.

And what they couldn’t.

No controversy. No sex. The governor’s office was to review everything before it was published or released, said Housman, who quit his state job last month as public education coordinator for HIV prevention.
Approval would be sought before conference speakers were hired.
Housman got the information from someone in his department; there was no official memo. But he said it became general operating procedure from that time on, and he heard frequently that something had to be run past the governor’s office.

Other workers in HHSS heard the same message, as did some in outside health agencies.

Minutes from a public health management team meeting Nov. 4, 2005, confirmed the system’s adherence to a pro-life philosophy and to avoiding controversy.

(the rest...)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 06:11      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they didn't ban sex...

they just banned the word "sexual" and related words from all state released brochures and posters, and also censored anybody talking about anything other than abstinence-only and pro-life from speaking publicly.

Don't label things more provocatively than they are, you know better! tsk tsk [Wink]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 07:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But where's the fun in that?! [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 09:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(most of the following links may be considered NSFW, even though they shouldn't be)

It's not like they're banning anything important. They just want to return to the old way of doing things. In those days, people knew how to behave and nobody snickered at a show named "Leave it to Beaver"

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 17:21      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now, for NEWS OF THE FUTURE!

News of the future, October 8, 2008.

Statistics collected from Nebraska hospitals show that the number of infants born to unwed, teenage mothers has risen over 300% this year compared to data collected in previous years. Health officials are baffled by this phenomenon, but point to what some are calling "the de-moralization of America."

Governor Heineman has said that this alarming data is proof that Sex Education does not belong in public schools.
quote:
We must not be putting such ideas into the minds of our children. Sex Education teaches our children, our most innocent and vulnerable citizens, that it's okay to have sex, that just having a little fun won't hurt anybody. Let's ask Nebraska's 86,000 newest unwed, teenage mothers if "just having a little fun won't hurt anybody."

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 17:27      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, f*ck is totally good with the Nebraskans, then? Oooh, instead of 'sexual', they could say 'f*ckuall'.

One empowers words and ideas by banning them. Why? Because people are innately curious. Well, the ones who aren't lazy sods, that is.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 22:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Billy Connolly...

<sings>
A 4 letter word, a 4 letter word
To ban it would be a shame
It's honest, it's earthy
It ought to be heard
That wonderful 1, 2, 3, 4 letter word

It's shouldn't be said in polite company
When aged old ladies are sipping their tea
But if those ladies pasts were revealed, sure as hell
They've not only said it, they've done it as well!
</sings>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 04:09      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
they didn't ban sex...

they just banned the word "sexual" and related words from all state released brochures and posters, and also censored anybody talking about anything other than abstinence-only and pro-life from speaking publicly.

Don't label things more provocatively than they are, you know better! tsk tsk [Wink]

They did too! One of those related words is "sex."

[Wink]

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 05:56      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
So, f*ck is totally good with the Nebraskans, then? Oooh, instead of 'sexual', they could say 'f*ckuall'.

One empowers words and ideas by banning them. Why? Because people are innately curious. Well, the ones who aren't lazy sods, that is.

I lol'd [Big Grin]

and fs: you naughty little girl. you think you're so clever don't you? I'll get you back in time.

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 07:20      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DEATHMATCH!!!!!!

/me gets the mud

The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 08:39      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually they have had a huge problem with underage pregnancy in Nebraska. The youngest I heard of in Omaha is 12 but I have heard it could have been younger.

Somedays I hate that my mother is a nurse.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mighty
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 20:01      Profile for Mighty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
they didn't ban sex...

I think it's a good action. The world's youth is less and less innocent. [thumbsdown]

--------------------
Hi everyone. I'm looking for German speakers I could practice my German with. If you are a German speaker (preferably native) please PM me.

Posts: 11 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 01:58      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty:
quote:
they didn't ban sex...

I think it's a good action. The world's youth is less and less innocent. [thumbsdown]
You do realize that ignorant and innocent are not synonyms, right?

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture