homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Serious Religion lol (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Serious Religion lol
NervousWreck
Newbie Larva
Member # 9666

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted July 11, 2007 09:00      Profile for NervousWreck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently the Pope restated teh doctrine that Catholicism is the one true church.

I bet everyone here has two bytes or megabytes to put in about that. lol [Big Grin]

The best line goes into my sig with the source

--------------------
To err is human, to forgive, divine.
(someone-or-other)

Posts: 5 | From: elsewhere | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 09:54      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously the Pope is trying to corner the market on molestable boys.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 12:22      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Obviously the Pope is trying to corner the market on molestable boys.

Threatening excommunication to third-parties attempting to enter the market. Pretty much screwing all those mom-n-pop-molestation-side-of-the-rode-stations. I say boycott. I will not support such a monopoly.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 12:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, didn't the wars over that one end four hundred years ago?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 12:28      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Um, didn't the wars over that one end four hundred years ago?

Expansion pack?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 12:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riiight...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 12:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Mr Wreck was alluding to a recent statement by the Pope, in which he gave permission for the Tridentine Mass to be read under certain circumstances. This mass includes a plea for the Almighty, in his infinite wisdom, to release all Jews from the darkness of their ignorance (or words to that effect) and allow them to discover the One True God.

Understandably,this has not gone too well amongst a number of Jewish communities.

Way to go Pope! [shake head]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 14:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash wrote:
he gave permission for the Tridentine Mass to be read under certain circumstances

I've heard that nine out of ten popes recommend Tridentine Mass to those who choose to read Mass...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 14:34      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Grummash wrote:
he gave permission for the Tridentine Mass to be read under certain circumstances

I've heard that nine out of ten popes recommend Tridentine Mass to those who choose to read Mass...

This is the new and improved Tridentine Mass... with antisemitism in every bite! (Note: the Surgeon General confirms that Protestant liturgy is one of the major causes of tooth decay and gum disease in America today.)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 15:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to start a sectarian bun-fight in these forums is a Cardinal Sin

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 07:04      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this guy Joe, a devout Presbyterian, dies and his spirit goes up to Heaven.

St. Peter welcomes him in and says to him, "Let me give you a tour."

As they travel on their tour they pass the tennis courts, badminton courts, soccer fields, and all sorts (literally *all* sorts) of other recreational sports. Everyone seems to be having a great time and throughly enjoying their eternity. There's lots of people laughing, and joking, and smiling, and singing.

Suddenly St. Peter stops, holds Joe back and whispers to him, "Sssshhhh! We have to be *very* quiet through here." They proceed on tiptoe through an area that is dominated by large buildings with even larger steeples. All around them they hear Latin, Greek, and all modes of Gregorian Chant.

Once they'd passed through that area Joe asks, "So, what /was/ that back there and why did we have to be so quiet?"

St. Peter replied, "Oh, that's where all the Catholics are, and they think they're the only ones up here."

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 13:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the letter I read, I gathered that the pope was just reaffirming the ability to choose which mass people wanted use, particularly the mass from 1962. There was nothing in the letter about praying for Jews or anything, but maybe that's in the Mass itself.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 00:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, after some searching, it seems there are a couple of things in the news lately. One is the previously mentioned easing of restrictions on the Tridentine Mass, and the other is a recently released document, which is apparently what NervousWreck was referring to.

It'll be interesting to see if this is part of a swing back to a more conservative theology, or just some minor changes. Not being Roman Catholic, I'm not inclined to worry about it much, though.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 00:18      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
From the letter I read, I gathered that the pope was just reaffirming the ability to choose which mass people wanted use, particularly the mass from 1962. There was nothing in the letter about praying for Jews or anything, but maybe that's in the Mass itself.

I haven't heard what the mass thing is about. The Pope's PR boo-boo was saying that no churches besides the Catholic one are true churches. He claims that with most Protestant churches, it's because their bishops cannot be traced to the original apostles. With Orthodox churches, where apparently it is possible to trace bishops to apostles, he doesn't consider them true churches because they don't recognize the authority of the Pope.

So according to the Pope, you aren't a member of a church, Rhonwyyn, you are a member of an ecclesiastical community.

That's what people are upset about.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 00:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
The Pope's PR boo-boo was saying that no churches besides the Catholic one are true churches....

So according to the Pope, you aren't a member of a church, Rhonwyyn, you are a member of an ecclesiastical community.

I liked the comment from the Anglican bishop of Sydney:
Of course they would think that - we think they're a bit dodgy too

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 04:48      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
The Pope's PR boo-boo was saying that no churches besides the Catholic one are true churches....

I liked the comment from the Anglican bishop of Sydney:
Of course they would think that - we think they're a bit dodgy too

I haven't been paying attention to the Swedish Lutheran response, but they probably don't care too much either.

--------------------

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2007 08:42      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that the whole point of belonging to a faith? You think it's the "one true" faith?

I find it remarkable that people are offended that the Pope prefers the Roman Catholic faith over all the others. Whoda thunk it?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 16, 2007 09:58      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ratzinger is managing to move the Catholic Church backward to a pre Vatican II scenario.
It means that they're closing themselves in order to keep its integrity but with the higher risk to lose confidence from their members.
Though I don't support this entirely, I was feeling that the Catholicism was doomed if he started to be more permissive and less involved and influential in current affairs, so I think this was seriously thought.
Time will tell.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 04:47      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Isn't that the whole point of belonging to a faith? You think it's the "one true" faith?

I find it remarkable that people are offended that the Pope prefers the Roman Catholic faith over all the others. Whoda thunk it?

"My God is better than your God" always offends people.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 08:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially when it's the *same* God...

--------------------
- The Decemberists

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 12:36      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what always confuses me... why do people fight over dogma?

I mean, I can see avoiding Catholicism due to the child abuse issues, criminal issues, etc. But why not just change the existing one?

I guess religions are like politicians and diapers...

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 14:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:

Bumper sticker on Hindu's car: My Karma ran over your Dogma.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 16:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Because they believe their immortal soul is in danger if they pick the wrong dogma, but they can't form a consensus on what the right dogma is.

Opiate of the masses, anyone?

--------------------
- The Decemberists

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 16:54      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

Because they believe their immortal soul is in danger if they pick the wrong dogma, but they can't form a consensus on what the right dogma is.

Opiate of the masses, anyone?

Guess that's why atheism rules [Wink] The only way to win is not to play.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 19:20      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I walked my wiener dogma today and she pooped.

God bless Tom Foley, and everyone who prays to a God who promotes the molestation of young men.

Hey, a religion founded by a guy who hung out with 12 guys and shunned women can't be all bad, can it?

I mean, it leaves the women to guys like me, doesn't it?

Let's all remember, "Of course the Catholic Church is against abortion -- altar boys can't get pregnant, can they?"

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture