homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Humanity at its worst (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Humanity at its worst
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 04:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
link

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 05:45      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish it was an accident and not a standard.

I remember being at the Long Beach Harbor once trying to get my mom in to have an aneurysm looked at. Which is a distressing tale in and of itself.

While she was in the triage room, there was a guy that had been there nearly as long as us, who began to go into an epileptic seizure. The third for the day from what I remember.

Well they decided to check his pulse and he was still there 6 hrs later, when I was able to rant and rave enough to get my mom discharged.

If only that kind of disinterest was not the norm for the L.A. county medical system.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 09:56      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US medical system is mortally wounded, but still clinging to life. The tragedy in LA is not necessarily the fault of the hospital itself, nor the workers, but a systemic problem with what health care has become. Everyone wants it to be a charity, where we all pay in according to our means and everyone takes out according to their needs. For political reasons, this is an implicit given.

But.... the rise of HMO's and private insurance plans has turned it into a completely profit based business. Since an insurer can't drive up profit by increasing prices forever, the best way is to cut down on costs. All public hospitals are understaffed in pure numbers of employees, and understaffed in skill level (i.e. Nurses do what doctors used to, nurse's aides do what nurses used to).

Fixing this mess will require our politicians AND people to agree that either medicine is socialized OR for the people who can afford it. Both positions suck in different ways, but they are better than this slow death that sucks money from treatment and puts it into the hands of insurance company executives and shareholders while pretending it is otherwise.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 13:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
From TFA:
Based on serious patient-care lapses, it has lost its national accreditation and federal funding.

Hmmm...

If a hospital is over-worked and under-resourced, the way to improve services is... cut their funding.

There are politicians in oz who are espousing the same theory in education. Schools which produce poor academic results (usually because they're in areas with large numbers of poor people from non English-speaking backgrounds) should have their funding reduced, that'll 'give them incentive' to improve.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 13:32      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is just ignorant. Not all hospitals are like the one in California where this woman died.
We have had excellent service in the five or six times my son and wife had had to go to the emergency room here in SC.
We normally go to a doctor's office. Most responsible people do. California has one of the most taxed hospital situation around because of the hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants that have abused the emergency rooms there.

They know that if they go to a doctor's office they will have to have insurance or pay out-of-pocket for the best care in the world, so they go to the emergency room for "free" care. The hospital has to pay to prep and outfit an emergency room (to American standards)when a person with no legal address, social security number, or desire to pay has a nail fungus or another minor Malady. They are also coming from a country where routine vaccinations are unheard of. Diseases that The U.S. eradicated years ago like T.B. are making huge comebacks here on the backs of people who sneak into our country with no papers,inoculations, or even cursory physical exams.

Guess why the hospital has had to cut costs, ignore "emergencies" and ultimately allow a woman to die?
Guess who killed Ms. Rodriguez?

Let's stop the root problem in California and other border states.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 13:44      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greed.
Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 13:47      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has nothing to do with the healthcare system - this has to do with the collective indifference of all of the individuals in the room. When someone is in the ER screaming in pain, you help first and ask questions later.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 14:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a hospital in the Rochester area like that, or so I've heard. I wouldn't know for sure though, because by the time I started hauling people in to ERs, that hospital had been shut down for violations with every accredition board in the book and then some. It sounds like this hospital deserves similar treatment.

Part of the problem with Ms. Rodriguez is she was complaining of a problem that without fail sets off bullshit detectors in first responders and medical personnel everywhere. Lots of people present with abdominal pain. Lots of them call 911. A very small number have a legit problem, and the cause of that problem can be very hard to track down, which would be why the ER staff gave in to the temptation to just write this poor woman off. The fact she'd been through three times already should have tipped them off, but it's very likely that the triage nurse dismissed her as seeking attention. As for the cops, there was jack they could do - medical care isn't their job, nor can they force doctors and nurses to do their jobs (neither can EMTs, but that is another sad story).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 15:04      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
This has nothing to do with the healthcare system - this has to do with the collective indifference of all of the individuals in the room. When someone is in the ER screaming in pain, you help first and ask questions later.

I strongly disagree. There are some serious problems with healthcare in general, but the problems are particularly noticable in Southern California. The illegal immigrant situation has severely strained California's hospital system, causing many to close in the last decade. If you look at the statistics on the linked page, you'll see that almost half of California's hospitals were operating at a loss in 2004. I'm willing to bet that the hospital employees in question have seen more than one person put on an overly-dramatic act in order to try and hurry admission.

Illegal immigrants are a huge problem for the system, as their lack of funds generally mean they can't afford to go to a family doctor. They have to go to an emergency room for care that might not have otherwise needed such a trip, often because simple problems were ignored until they became serious ones, though it's not unheard of for them to show up with minor problems as well. However, unlike Chesty, I don't blame the illegals for sneaking across. Our immigration system also has serious flaws, and we will continue to have problems until they are addressed reasonably.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 15:22      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do. Illegal immigrants are flagrantly violating the laws of 2 countries - and mass deportations are the correct response.

I do feel pity that Mexico is something of a dump. Been there. Hated it.

That doesn't mean that I can simply cruise up to Canada and force them to accept me, however. They'd send my butt back to the US. Australia would do the same - possibly even if I was a naturalized citizen [Wink]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 17:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
Australia would do the same - possibly even if I was a naturalized citizen [Wink]

Under the 'refugee swap' program oz has with the USA, the easiest way to get legal entry to the US is to try to enter Australia illegally. We'll send you to a gulag on a Pacific island for processing, then put you on a flight to the USA.

Of course, Uncle Sam will send us an equal number of rejects from their refugee gulags, just to be fair.

I'm sure it all makes sense to someone. [Confused]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 17:14      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy. When I read the name of the hospital, I shook my head in disappointment. It should have been closed months ago. It was supposed to have had a staff house-cleaning.

Looks like they only change made was the name.

For people who are news junkies in Los Angeles, this hospital has a long history of negligent deaths. As in, Stephen King creepy amount of deaths.

I feel awful for the woman's family, but if I were her sister, I would have driven her to the next closest hospital instead of making her stay at King-Harbor/King-Drew. It was negligence all around which killed the woman.

Happily, they have enough evidence to sue both the L.A.P.D. (who is reeling from the MacArthur Park Media Mosh) and King-Harbor. They might be able to afford to move from Los Angeles to a place where people survive the waiting room of hospitals.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2007 23:15      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
there was a guy that had been there nearly as long as us, who began to go into an epileptic seizure. The third for the day from what I remember ... Well they decided to check his pulse and he was still there 6 hrs later
Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done in a hurry for a seizure (be it epileptic* or otherwise). The reason for checking the pulse is that seizures can be secondary to cardiac arrest. Another one might be a head injury, but the crew would have already checked for that and if it was the case he would be cat A and not left outside anyway. The crew will have already assessed and corrected for other causes - eclampsia (unlikely in a dude), drugs (alcohol/tricyclics/etc), infections (eg meningitis - give penV and get them in FAST), hypoglycaemia (give them sugar), hypoxia (give them O2), febrile convulsions (cool them down), or hypotension (lie the patient down!).

During a fit, there is nothing you can do other than make sure there's nothing around the patient to hurt them and perhaps (if they're not too violent) pop some O2 on. The nurse (I assume) then came back and checked for the obvious (cardiac/temp/hypoxia), which he can't have had otherwise they'd do something. So back to the standard A&E practice of dealing with the more serious things first. If the gent outside was stable (aside from occasional fits) then they might as well leave him be and concentrate on suspended babies and the like!

As for the treatment of your mother - depends on where the aneurysm is on where she'd be triaged? And for the lady who died - that's just shocking [shake head] But Xanthine's right - abdo pain sets off the bullshitometer in a big way. Especially if it's a frequent flier (*coudrugaddictgh*). Though I'd have thought a perforated bowel would have been easy enough to catch [ohwell]

--
*In reality, epileptics are unlikely to end up in hospital, as fitting is common for them - you transport if it's a first fit or it's not the usual routine.

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 09:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WS: I hope your post was a tongue-in-cheek one. Really. Because if not, you are aiming at the wrong target.

Why? Well, why are those illegal immigrant there in the first place? To beg on the street? No, ther enter the US because they know they can get a job (underpaid because illegal) and still live better than they would had they stayed in Mexico. If there were no companies to employ illegal immigrants at cheaper cost than legal residents, no households willing to had their cleaning done without declaring it (and at a cheaper rate, too), there wouldn't be so many illegal immigrants.

So to me, the reall culprit here are those who are willing to overlook the illigal status of their employees to keep more money in their pockets. And then the governements lose their funding: from the legals who don't have the jobs and thus can't pay taxes, and of course, the illegals holding the jobs don't pay taxes either. (Plus, aren't corporations taxation rate lower than idividual's? If so, the increased profits they make isn't taxed as much as it would have been if paid in salary.)

Making all the illegal immigrants legals would entitle them to the higher "legal rate" pay, and would have them pay the taxes on their full salary. Or have corporations be law-abiding citizens, hiring only residents (citizens, landed immigrants, refugees and working permit holders). Either way may solve the problem; but throwing out the illegals wouldn't do much, as they'd be back in within months.

But of course, if the corporations were forced to obey the immigration laws, they may decide it's cheaper to delocalize, thus depriving the area from the jobs entirely. Which is probably why no one really looks at the "illegal jobs" side of the equation. (And did I mention all those people who are happy to pay their beef 2 cents/lbs less than otherwise, or their oranges cheaper, or...) Maybe the US system needs some reworking. Actually, let me rephrase that: maybe the citizens in many developped countries need to review their social priorities - either make as much money as they can without caring for the less fortunates, or accept to pay their fair share of taxes to properly funds social services for all. Anything else would be hypocrisy.

P.S.: To be fair, I know there are some European countries who do a lot better than the USA - or Canada, for that matter. Sweeden and Danmark comes to mind: they have higher taxes, but still good jobs and a (mostly?) working social net. Good schools too, IIRC, as they usually get in the top 10 spots in international litteracy tests.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 09:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:

As for the treatment of your mother - depends on where the aneurysm is on where she'd be triaged? And for the lady who died - that's just shocking [shake head] But Xanthine's right - abdo pain sets off the bullshitometer in a big way. Especially if it's a frequent flier (*coudrugaddictgh*). Though I'd have thought a perforated bowel would have been easy enough to catch [ohwell]

--
*In reality, epileptics are unlikely to end up in hospital, as fitting is common for them - you transport if it's a first fit or it's not the usual routine.

Well the epileptic, started having regular and massive seizures over the course of the previous couple of days. Which maybe is nothing particularly unusual. But of course it only took about 4 of us to go to the nurses to get someone to actually look at the guy. But hey it wasn't a big deal right. [Roll Eyes]

And people on IRC know the situation with my mom and the aneurysm. There were only two of them in the Iliac, only maybe 5cm in diameter, and of course after the first hospital kept her for three months released her without any meds. And said, eat whatever you want, you are fine.

So after a major bypass and now the wonderful flood of bills, it is all good. I guess there was nothing to really worry about.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 10:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
Though I'd have thought a perforated bowel would have been easy enough to catch [ohwell]

That would require that they actually look at her though. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 13:37      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:

but throwing out the illegals wouldn't do much, as they'd be back in within months.

Not if we did the same thing that Mexico does and enforce our southern border and immigration laws!
The onus here is on our Federal government to do one of the things that it is supposed to do. Secure the border and repel(or destroy) invaders!

We seem to have made up a bunch of "feel good" duties for our government and abandoned it's original intent. To protect us from invaders and regulate interstate matters.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 13:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-one's going to "throw out" the illegal immigrants.

The aussie government won an election on a "border protection" scare campaign. A few months later, when the immigration department raided some farms and rounded up a few dozen illegal agricultural workers, government MPs from farming areas screamed blue-murder, and the immigration department went soft.

Illegal immigrants are an important source of cheap labour, both in the USA and here in oz. All this noise the politicians make about border protection plays well with the rednecks, but no conservative government is going to rob business of cheap labour.

--------------------

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 14:05      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's entertaining when a nation of immigrants starts equating immigrants with invaders. If we really want to see fewer immigrants entering the US, we need to stop destabelizing other economies. So long as the neighboring economies are shit, they're going to want to come here. Just like our ancestors did when they couldn't make it in the old country. Chesty, unless you're 100% Aboriginal American, you don't get to call anyone an invader.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 14:32      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I know of at least two people who have had a perforated bowel/lower intestine and from what they tell me the early symptoms are easily mistaken (particularly by the sufferer) for just a really bad "gut ache". Now I am not a doctor so I have no idea if it is easier for a medical professional to diagnose the early stages of such a perforation or not; but I have become aware by what these suffers told me that by the time you realise it is something more serious than just a really nasty "gut ache" you are already in fairly serious trouble...

Now both of the people I know are guys, both admit to having had fairly bad abdominal pain.

One said it started out no worse than the relatively common pain he suffers from IBS, but it got worse and worse and when his abdomen went hard and he started to feel "really ill" he drove to the A&E (ER to US readers) where they pretty much rushed him to theatre (OR) and from there to ICU where pumped full of antibiotics and Morphine he spent 2 weeks in a semi conscious and partly delerious state... (Apparently as he told it to me after the event the surgeons told him they resorted to a "temporary colostomy" - taking out the perforated section and fitting a bag for as long as they dared and then reconnecting the pipework in the hope it would all just start working again - now I cannot verify how likely this is... the man in question even admits to being pretty vague on the details apart from remembering the phrase "experimental surgery")

All in all I am just saying some stuff is not so easily diagnosed... at least at first point by the sufferers... and apparently some of this stuff is not that easy to pick up early on, even by the ER/A&E pros.

Basically be careful out there people - if you know you have a problem don't ignore it - and if you think you MIGHT have one don't ignore that either ...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 20:44      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The immigrnat "problem" mentioned in this thread is without merit, and is simply an act of either ignorant or malicious political opportunism. The poster should be ashamed, but is not.

Let's look at a few of the facts and situations the medical industry is facing, the least of which is immigration.

Many physicians, as well as eleemosynary hospitals, are bound to treat all who are ill. This in itself is shadow socialized medicine, the costs of which are paid by all.

Increasingly, insurance companies are taking a larger chunk of the medical dollar to pay for their overcompensated executives and many layers of red tape. This red tape is designed to get you to give up on your claims. If the red tape doesn't defeat you, the insurance companies are allowed to simply deny your claim. You have no right sue for breach of contract.

If an insurance company denies a claim that you had every right to expect it would pay, and you are not allowed to sue them, then you pay. That can cost thousands, tens of thousands, even millions of dollars. It is a leading cause of bankruptcy. We all pay for this.

Then there are the underinsured. A perfect example is a fellow I met on the volleyball beach here a couple of summers ago. He's 37, was making about $40K a year, 5'9" 155, blood cholesterol around 120. No family history of heart disease. In a period of five weeks he had two massive heart attacks. "Widowmakers" they called them. 100% blockage of the LADA. He was out of work for 12 weeks. He only got paid for 2 of those. He was evicted from his apartment while he was in the hospital. After insurance paid his costs he still owed $10K to the hospital and docs. Meds were, and still are, $750 a month, after insurance. Docs found one lung full of liquid, the other half full. He had Rhumatoid Arthritis and it was attacking his blood and lungs. Bill collectors and medical visits eventually cost him his job.

He was underinsured. Now he is uninsured and we all pay.

Forty-six million working Americans have no insurance whatsoever. When they get sick and can't pay, you will.

As for illegal immigrants, they underutilize the medical system because they are afraid of being deported. They are not the problem.

Now on to the actual care you are not receiving.

To cut costs imposed by insurance companies, hospitals are cutting back on the quality of care. Nursing is one area of cuts. Most major hospitals are cutting back on experienced Registered Nurses and hiring Nurse Techs, Nurse Assistants, Nurse Wannabes. An experienced surgical or O.R. nurse will make $30-$45 an hour. A Nurse Wannabe costs $12 an hour.

Is this serious?

Say you get hit by a drunk in a car accident. You're in bad shape and you have a choice.

One nurse has seen it all before. He or she knows if Dr. Cranium isn't in on your head injury in 30 minutes, the staff resident who has been on duty for 50-straight hours will be in over his/her and your head in 31 minutes. Two out of the three of the gas jockeys on hand spend a little too much time in the narcotics locker. She knows which one doesn't, and you're going to need him.

She also knows exactly what equipment needs to be in the room, and if it's not she knows what tail to kick and what to kiss to get that equipment in the room. When the word "Stat" cracks from her lips, assholes snap shut, interns run for shelter.

The other is a Nurse Wannabe. She doesn't know a foley from a forcep. She is consulting a Power Point Presentation to find out what that red icky stuff is that is shooting out of your femoral artery. But, she is a bargain as $12 an hour isn't she?

Sounds like the triage nurse in the article, eh? Hmmmmm.

So who do you want in your side? Who does your insurance company want in there? And by the way, how much did your insurance company spend on advertising to tell you to feel good about putting your life in the hands of Nurse Wannabe?

Don't believe me, check the hiring announcements at your local hospital.

We haven't even begun to address two new insurance company "managed care" expert-created MD specialties: Intensivists and Hospitalists. These are "crack" M.D.s who are paid around $100,000 a year to make your problem another health care institution's problem. The hospital's literature will tell you otherwise, but let's face it, at that salary range this M.D. is making 1/10th of what a good, experienced surgeon makes. Hell, he's making $30K less than the still wet-behind-the-sheepskin Wharton B-School grad who is being paid all that money to deny your claim.

Oh, and the researchers? The ones developing new cures? They moved, or are moving, to Canada. Garlic Guy, Sxepto and their kooky religious right friends chased them out with their stem cell, creationism and liberal intellectual agenda bullshit. Look, you wage a war on smart people, they leave the country. That's how the USA got Einstein (immigrants anyway)!

And that doesn't even begin to address the "bait and switch" tactics of stem cell issues, Terry Schiavo issues and the big one, "Pro Life" issues.

As if fetuses and pea-brain vegetables have more rights than some poor schmuck with a wife, three kids and curable cancer who just had his claim denied.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 23:19      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
All in all I am just saying some stuff is not so easily diagnosed... at least at first point by the sufferers... and apparently some of this stuff is not that easy to pick up early on, even by the ER/A&E pros.

Agreed. Though if she was at the point of dying from it, whoever admitted her should have felt guarding and other not so fun things going on in her abdo. But then on the other hand, people don't always present the way you'd expect. In fact, no-one ever presents with the expected symptoms, so it could just be that based on the triage nurse/medic's assessment they didn't pick anything up. Either way, the hospital still cocked up due to their horrible waiting times in the first place and then their complete inability to respond when she was having issues.

quote:
CommanderShroom:
Well the epileptic, started having regular and massive seizures over the course of the previous couple of days. Which maybe is nothing particularly unusual. But of course it only took about 4 of us to go to the nurses to get someone to actually look at the guy. But hey it wasn't a big deal right

If he was in hospital, I'm guessing it wasn't normal - what you said makes me think that there'd be something neurological going even more wrong. But if there were no other signs then I can still (kind of) see why he was so far down the list. But the lack of attention during the fit is inexcusable.

As for your mum, I can see why you were worried and wanted her to be seen quickly - I've been in similar situations before. But you have to ask if they've been there three months, how likely is it to get worse in a few hours in the ER? But then that might be what the staff thought about the lady with abdo pain that died - it's been going on for a while, so it's not going to get worse in a hurry [Roll Eyes] I'm glad you were finally able to get your mum fixed though - shouting does tend to work [Smile]

quote:
Serenak:
Basically be careful out there people - if you know you have a problem don't ignore it - and if you think you MIGHT have one don't ignore that either ...

Never a truer word was spoken. Better an annoyed doctor than a dead patient.
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted May 24, 2007 11:14      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Serenak:

quote:
Stibbons:Never a truer word was spoken. Better an annoyed doctor than a dead patient.
Not if you are an insurance company! Unless you are also providing life cover, of course. Now you might think that having the same companies who insure your health care also provide death cover would be a good way to motivate them, but you're forgetting that once they can see all your medical records they are quite likely just to decline you.

It's a messed-up world out there, full of selfishness and greed but that's not a universal attitude and maybe it's not even normal, although it IS institutional in the first world. Getting back to refugees in Australia, did anyone catch this report on Rocketboom?

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 16:30      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic is a virgin.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 23:41      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Colonel Panic is a virgin.

I'm not sure I want to know how you got that information

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture