homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » John Sweeney of the BBC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Sweeney of the BBC
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 14:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone here catch John Sweeney's Scientology bust-up? (Video link on top right of page.) OMG - funny as hell, but quite hard to watch. You can't help feel sorry for the journalist -- you suspect he was crying into his beer later that day, wondering if he still has a job.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 15:36      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been risky to go up against the Scientology "Church" since its founding. I remember reading this article in Time back in the early '90's. I'm sure Sweeney knew it'd be tough, but I imagine it was a bit worse than expected to actually go through it.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 16:28      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was young and innocent (age 20 or so c. 1970), I had a number of friends (hippy twits) that got suckered into Scientology, and out of respect for them as much as anything, I paid a visit to their then HQ at Saint Hill Manor in East Grinstead one weekend. I quickly decided that they were a very sinister, evil organisation indeed.

Your own private religion is the ultimate form of megalomania, if you control not only your adherents money and lives, but they also entrust you with their souls. Like many cults, Scientologists have their own private jargon, and insist that because their "tech" is so revolutionary, that you cannot apply normal rules of logic or normal moral or ethical standards when examining it, and can only criticise it by its own internal logical rules. They are utterly ruthless in pursuing and destroying by any means necessary those they deem to be "repressive persons" (i. e. their critics). If a person is declared to be "fair game", anything is allowed. As is usual in cults, they often require their adherents to break off contact with family, or other influential outsiders. They attract very little public criticism for the same reason that Robert Maxwell was left alone in his lifetime, a willingness to spend an almost limitless amount of time and money on litigation at the slightest intimation of criticism, so well done John Sweeney and the BBC for mounting this programme at all.

Their true story will only be told when their organisation finally implodes. But they are evil bastards.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 16:34      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Their true story will only be told when their organisation finally implodes. But they are evil bastards. *

* I would like to point out that this statement derives from pure opinion, and does not reflect -- in any legally-demonstrable form -- the views and/or motives of this site and/or any person or persons having made prior contributions to this thread. [Wink]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 16:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bare Faced Messiah makes interesting reading. It's a detailed examination of Hubbard's official biography - and it paints an picture of Hubbard as a pathological liar with delusions of grandeur.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 16:38      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Their true story will only be told when their organisation finally implodes. But they are evil bastards. *

* I would like to point out that this statement derives from pure opinion, and does not reflect -- in any legally-demonstrable form -- the views and/or motives of this site and/or any person or persons having made prior contributions to this thread. [Wink]
Yeah, Calli. Let us know how this turns out after CoS folks drop by for their (now) obligatory visit...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 16:43      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny enough -- I was way-laid by these folks in Brighton, of all places (they had an office near North St, opposite Boots -- in fact I think it was the street behind... up from Ottaker's Books... if any of these places still exist...). I just wanted to find out what they had to say. It was all a load of psycho-babble, buzz-word-ridden gibberish about self-achievement and stuff. I managed to leave without buying anything, but it was tough -- it was like trying not to cough-up for extended warranties when you're purchasing anything computery from Currys/Dixons/PCWorld/[substitute any other electrical outlet store you can name here].

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 16:51      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some interesting Scientology documents from the court case, Church of Scientology International v. Fishman and Geertz. This includes the infamous OT III, which describes Xenu and the Thetans. It not hard to see in reading these documents that Hubbard was psychotic. The strange made up jargon, the exercises, all seem to be made up by a mind not connected with reality.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 17:00      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Bare Faced Messiah makes interesting reading. It's a detailed examination of Hubbard's official biography - and it paints an picture of Hubbard as a pathological liar with delusions of grandeur.

Yes, that's a good one. So is The Road to Xenu, about one person's life in Scientology.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 18:01      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This site has a lot of links to interesting material on Scientology.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 18:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh.

I am maybe 15 minutes from Golden Era Studios.

That is the place where they supposedly make their lie detector.

Never really bugged me, unless I got stuck in the morning behind one of their buses when I was trying to get to work. And they have a pretty nice golf course. [Razz]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture