homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 17:16      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the four-year anniversary of when G.W. Righty announced he won the war in Iraq.

Four years, half-a trillion dollars and thousands of dashed lives later, "The War President" just won't agree to end it, preferring to throw money -- and lives -- at a problem he has admitted he has no clue of solving.

Just to keep score here. How many lives has G.W. Righty fed to terrorists during his reign? And how many were lost before that? And who is weak on terror? And who is making progress?

Remember the motto of the American Right -- when in doubt, lie. When you are caught in a lie, use your fallback lie. And when you are caught in the lie, then lie and lie and lie some more.

Well, we have found out what those values are that the religious right promised to bring to the Presidency.

I might have to laugh hard about G.W. Righty when he vetoes the war funding bill saying they were "trying to make a political statement." All when his "Mission Accomplished" speech has been proven to be nothing less.

Only all I can do is cry for all the loss.

C.P.

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 18:50      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes me cry, too - every time I see the news of more casualties. I think we can sum up GW's reasoning in two words: Halliburton profits.
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 03:14      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
I think we can sum up GW's reasoning in two words: Halliburton profits.

Sadly I believe that is not true. If GWB was a crook like Nixon, he would not have got involved in an adventure that any child could tell you was doomed to failure. That rabbit caught in the headlights look in his eyes makes me believe that he needs his religion to keep him from falling apart. So the scary thing is that he believes what he says, and I suspect he thinks of his current difficulties as a trial of his faith, from which he will emerge victorious so long as he puts his trust in God. His sincerity is what scares me.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 03:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot believe GWB could still believe that he is going to win this. I think he started teh war five years ago believing he would win and His legacy would be peace in the middle east. Right now I think every thing he does are stopgap measures designed to lay blame elsewhere so he doesn't go down in history as a huge failure.He has to proliong this war long enough so that anouther president wil also have to share some of the blame for not fixing the war.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 04:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
I cannot believe GWB could still believe that he is going to win this.

"The greatest thing about this man is that he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will."

-- Stephen Colbert. (in a 'tribute' to G.W. Bush)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 06:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic ___________________ A little later in the year I and the Mrs are going to take two of our Grand-daugthers to Washinton and one of the stops will be THE WALL. For those that don't know what I am talking about.

The Vietnam Memorial "The Wall"

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 07:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and a recap of the mess...linked out of a tech blog I follow:
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?pid=191466

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 08:51      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great piece, dman. Thank you.

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 09:13      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
I cannot believe GWB could still believe that he is going to win this. I think he started teh war five years ago believing he would win and His legacy would be peace in the middle east.

Are you fucking high??

He started the war to kill Saddam.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 10:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n Vic _________________________ Then you remember the speach "he tried to kill my dad".

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/09/27/bush.war.talk/

nuff said

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 02, 2007 20:57      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
May 02, 2007 03:54
I cannot believe GWB could still believe that he is going to win this. I think he started the war five years ago believing he would win and His legacy would be peace in the middle east.

Maybe Bush is surprised at the violence in the Mideast.

I have to admit, I am surprised at the fervor with which Muslims kill Muslims.

You could gloat:
quote:
ASM, I knew Muslims would be cutting the heads off of truck drivers. I knew Muslims would detonate car bombs in crowded markets. I knew Muslims would take power drills and put holes in their neighbors' heads until the people died. I knew Muslims would kill clerics that said "do not take the path of violence."
The list of similar acts is lengthy.... I thought "peaceful" people of a peaceful culture would find a way to not kill each other.

In case no one has time for the rebuttal:
quote:
ASM, where did you get "peaceful people don't kill each other"? DUH -- that's totally stupid.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2007 08:53      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course ASM it was not our fault. How could we have predicted this! And surely the killing going on there is entirely unconnected with the presence of the occupying forces! [shake head]

One of the underlying assumptions made by the proponents of the war was that Iraqis were just ordinary folks like us simple country boys, who once liberated from Saddam's yolk, would be anxious to get everything running, so they could make lots and lots of money, and start to enjoy fast food Coca Cola and the other good things that Western civilisation has to offer. So it is heartening to see that ASM in his own little way, has at last come to see that this was wrong. People from different cultures have different priorities.

I do hope this hard learned lesson will be remembered before liberty is spread any further around the world.

--------------------

The Explainer
Mini Geek
Member # 5716

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2007 09:28      Profile for The Explainer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
quote:

Mr 65816 is surprised that Muslims will kill Muslims, he seems unaware that Christians sometimes kill Christians.

Mr 65816's seems to believe that the USA can start wars, and expect the other side to play by rules the USA sets.

Posts: 53 | From: The hall of logic | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2007 07:01      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Explainer:
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
quote:

Mr 65816 is surprised that Muslims will kill Muslims, he seems unaware that Christians sometimes kill Christians.

Mr 65816's seems to believe that the USA can start wars, and expect the other side to play by rules the USA sets.

Of course, none of those examples are strictly religious wars - even the Nazis were about race, rather than religion. I would have thought your better examples would be the Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades, but neither of those were Christian-Christian and one wasn't even a war.

I could generalise and say that the major cause of war is politics and that might even explain GW - even a religious politician is unable to deny his destiny. Arguably, his religion, applied to his day job, has reduced his options and made his fate more inevitable.

If only he had been stronger in his faith he would have rejected war as an option at all. Mind you, you could say the same for the various Muslim factions - the Qu'ran is as down on killing as the New Testament, if not quite as clear.

What would Jesus do? Weep, I expect.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture