homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Virtual reality vs real life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Virtual reality vs real life
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 16:33      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Work is going on apace to eliminate the need for any of that unhygienic messy real life relationship business. There are moves to open source teledildonics projects, which when combined with virtual environments like Second Life, could eliminate any need to interact with real people completely.

From virtual reality to virtual nightmares, I have long suspected that the people responsible for US foreign policy have minds more shaped by ID Software's Doom and Duke Nukem series and the films of Arnold Schwarzeneggar than by the study of politics or history let alone other cultures, but it appears from this that I might be more correct than I could ever have imagined (though it appears this time they are trying to model the world more as a strategy rpg game). The second comment on the article sums up my own thoughts exactly.

Shame that when constructing the real world, God forgot to code in a Saved Game feature. We might be able to get Iraq right on the fifth or so attempt if we had that.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 18:27      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, Cali,

How stupid do you think we are on this side of the pond that we would ever want to save any part of the Crook-In-Cheif's "game" unless it were to replay it in testimony that would convict him of a capital crime?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 21:02      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Shame that when constructing the real world, God forgot to code in a Saved Game feature. We might be able to get Iraq right on the fifth or so attempt if we had that.

I believe the Saved Game feature is already active -- it's just buried deep in Volume 36 of the instruction manual (you have to hunt for it). In fact, this is technically our fourth attempt at Iraq. You really don't want to know what happened the first three times we pulled this stunt. [Eek!]

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 14, 2007 04:57      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How about a nice game of chess?"

The WOPR, of all things, gained +1 Wisdom by the end of the movie. I don't think the current executive branch is capable of that, in any amount of time.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture