homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Bush Watch: Captain America Dead!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bush Watch: Captain America Dead!
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 18:07      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/08/books/08capt.html?_r=1&ref=books&oref=slogin

Pretty sad when a Super Hero is killed on your watch. Last time it happened was when Bush's father was President, just before Slick Willie took over in January of 1993.

Letting Captain America or Superman die while you are President is very sad commentary.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 19:26      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can blame Bush for a lot of things, but this is hardly one of them.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 22:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Metasquares, you can't blame the shrub for this one.

Personally, I blame Russia, China, France, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Saddam, The U.N. and Darfur.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 07:15      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Saddam Hussein. [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 09:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....and the food for oil program.....

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 08, 2007 12:27      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Canada. Always blame Canada. We must have been guilty of something, or will, some given time. So if you blame us often enough, you'll be right at some point.

(Well, we're a country with a rising racism problem, for a start. Or at least, that's what Egypt seems to believe, because a football/soccer [muslim] refeere decided that a hidjab could be as dangerous as a necklace, and had to be removed in order to play. And there's that poll where Quebecers admitted to being racists, too. That people may have mixed up "racism" and "racial prejudice" is irrelevant. So we must have killed Captain America with our super racist powers. [Razz] [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 08, 2007 13:11      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
And Canada. Always blame Canada.

Not always. We frequently blame Mexico, instead. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 14:11      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, immigrants really piss off European Americans! We hate 'em all!

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 14:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's blame Hitler.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 14:34      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:

I'm falling on the side of Metasquares on that one. Do you really think Bush picked up the red phone and told DC to kill him?

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 20:27      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:

I'm falling on the side of Metasquares on that one. Do you really think Bush picked up the red phone and told DC to kill him?
Yes.

But don't worry - he'll be in the primaries [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 05:15      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, I hate to break it to you, but...

Captin America is a commic, not a real man. I know this will shock some of you, but it's true. I'm sorry to crush your reality CP, but Marvel killed the Hero not Bush.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 05:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only connection, and I think it's arguable at best, is that Marvel might perhaps feel that as the right has attempted to hijack patriotic symbols for itself that Captain America is now a rather problematic figure, and hence the decision to kill him off.

Here in the UK we never made such a big deal of our flag, maybe because the monarchy has a similar symbolic role in our national life, but in a similar way the Union Jack now has an unfortunate and rather uncomfortable association with racism and the far right neofascist parties.

You may be surprised to know that the "death" of Captain America has has fairly widespread media coverage here too.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 08:34      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli, I was reading a quote in a different article:

quote:
Series writer Ed Brubaker - who grew up reading Captain America comics while his father, a naval intelligence officer, was stationed on Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - said it wasn't easy to kill off the character. The 40-year-old, however, wanted to explore what the hero meant to the country in these polarized times.

"What I found is that all the really hard-core left-wing fans want Cap to be standing out on and giving speeches on the streetcorner against the Bush administration, and all the really right-wing [fans] all want him to be over in the streets of Baghdad, punching out Saddam," Brubaker said.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 09:07      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is in fact something that Capt America has been struggling with since at least the late 60's and probably before...

I recall reading the "Captain America Must Die!" story sometime back in the 70s in an annual and it seems its roots lie even futher back in the saga, in it Steve Rogers aka Captain America torments himself trying to figure out what exactly he stands for, or should stand for... left vs right, etc etc. and decides that there is no "single" America for him to stand for anymore and so Captain America Must Die!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 09:29      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Guys, I hate to break it to you, but...

Captin America is a commic, not a real man. I know this will shock some of you, but it's true. I'm sorry to crush your reality CP, but Marvel killed the Hero not Bush.

Dude. Seriously.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 11:04      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
That is in fact something that Capt America has been struggling with since at least the late 60's and probably before...

I recall reading the "Captain America Must Die!" story sometime back in the 70s in an annual and it seems its roots lie even futher back in the saga, in it Steve Rogers aka Captain America torments himself trying to figure out what exactly he stands for, or should stand for... left vs right, etc etc. and decides that there is no "single" America for him to stand for anymore and so Captain America Must Die!

America's been polarized by issues many times in the past. Early on it was the Federalists vs. the States' Rights groups, abolition, prohibitionism, and probably a number of less famous issues. It's troubling how deep the split seems to go at times, but I don't think that necessarily undermines the concept of a "single" America.

Of course, all the press and selling a lot of comic books probably had little to do with having Captain America killed. [Wink]

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 13:54      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Sxept

Just saying that the writer's of Capt America have (on more than one occasion) had the Cap. reflect on and question what it is he stands for, what does it mean to be "American" etc.

I am not now and have never really been a big Marvel or DC comic book fan but here and there when they have penetrated my consciousness I noticed that Captain America seemed to often contain a rather deeper and more meaningful thread than the I others I have seen... or maybe I just happend to find the odd ones that had those sort of storylines? How can I tell? My sample is too statistically insignificant to draw any reasonably supportable conclusions.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture