homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » complete and utter insanity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: complete and utter insanity
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 07, 2007 13:33      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Words fail me as this just completely blows my mind.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=2925021&page=1

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 13:52      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well - if they're happy, then good for them.

Religion is what you make of it.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 14:20      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok but it makes no sense whatsoever. If you claim to be a christian why follow someone who claims to be both the second coming of Christ and the Antichrist. I know quite a few of you think religion is crazy anyhow, but you have to admit this goes above and beyond crazy.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 14:31      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, compared to what most religions believe, I consider this to be the height of reason.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 14:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say we'll see the mass suicide in about five years [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 14:36      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol - or a stand-off with authorities [Big Grin]

--------------------

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 15:43      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!

You realize how far you have to read in before you find out that it's NOT about Dick Cheney?!?!

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 08, 2007 18:43      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
from the ABC "News" article:

De Jesus says things like murder and theft are crimes, but not sins, and that people are punished for these crimes on earth. "Heaven doesn't have anything to do with your behavior," he says.

Anyone that "follows" this person was waiting for someone to tell them what they wanted to hear: "No matter how much of an unrepentant criminal you are, you'll go to heaven."

As an example: A person could walk into a restaurant, set off a bomb that kills 30 and wounds two dozen more, and if he died in the blast then he would immediately go to heaven.

The second example is (simply) never having one's crimes discovered.

A third example would be bribing officials so that one is not punished for criminal acts.

It looks like ABC News is helping this man slander the Christian faith.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 14:25      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can't say I believe in this guy any more than the others. We do agree, however, that what we do in this life has nothing to do with whether or not you go to heaven. We disagree in that Jesus of Suburbia believes heaven is an option.

The preachers of the apocalypse must LOVE this guy- claims to be the one true church, claims to be the reborn Christ, admits he's antichrist, his followers have 666 tatoos... The rapture must be, like, tomorrow! Does this mean we must listen to the Nostrodummies again?

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Double D
Geek Larva
Member # 786

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2007 11:59      Profile for Double D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the point of view of the Christian scriptures, this guy is what many of the New Testament writers predicted: someone who claims to be Christ in order to lead many away. That is his stated goal, to have millions of followers who come away from the "religious" people to follow him.

I agree that the internal logic of his claims is pretty twisted, especially to be Christ and Antichrist. Can an atom be matter and antimatter at the same time? Not that I've ever heard. That isn't even taking into account that he is negating many of the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Has religion failed a lot of people? Sure. Are some religious claims hard to believe, even absurd? Yep. Does any legitimate religion say that what you do makes no difference to God? Again, not that I've heard of.

--------------------
--D2--

"Love is the nonpossessive delight in the particularities of the other." -- Dr. James E. Loder

Posts: 20 | From: West-By-God-Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2007 14:07      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really and i mean really stupid, i won't even say the motives why it is absurd in all levels because it is so obvious, i just hoped these people died and stopped being jerks, we have too many jerks on the face of earth.

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

Posts: 55 | From: aveiro, portugual | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 16:18      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People used to buy "pet" rocks, I'm really not all that surprised. Though this guy does anger me more then just a little.

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 16:44      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What makes me curious is this:

Revelation 13:11-18: And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed. And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six." (King James Version)

Now, in many cultures, repeating something three times allows you to remember its importance, which King Jimbo didn't realize, therefore the number of man is 6, not 666, which has meaning as tipheret, or the path of beauty and of "the bridegroom" (from the Sephirot).

I can't wait to see if this guy doesn't bring the prohecies of Revelations true to the best of his ability simply to be able to keep pushing that he is the Second Coming.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 17:50      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
lol - or a stand-off with authorities [Big Grin]

Nah, this guy combined Christ with the Antichrist. It only makes sense they'll kill themselves in front of a police brigade prepared for a shoot-off

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 22:26      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is only another fool, followed by fools. His people would give their lives to another stupid cause if they hadn't found him. I hope they find some cheap land in Central America.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture