homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Who is this Pit Bull

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who is this Pit Bull
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 12:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All _____________________________ Boy oh boy the conservitives really have one in Ann Coulter.

http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/48765/

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 13:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dog-whistle politics 101:

You want to smear an opponent, and whip up a nice little storm of bigotry, but you don't want to offend the substantial part the electorate who disapprove of such tactics.

So, you get someone else (preferably someone who isn't actually running for elected office) to dump the bucket of shit, wait for it to get a little publicity, then issue a statement half-heartedly "disapproving" of it.

This gives the original statements even more publicity, but leaves you looking like 'Mr Clean'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 13:18      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we should have a rule here on GC. No political threads about an election till no more then 2 weeks before the election and we shall not disscuss it for more then one week after.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 13:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac D _________________________But this is The <<Politics/Religion/Current Affairs>> thread!!!!!!

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 13:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whooops!!!!!!!!!!
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 13:38      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Mac D _________________________But this is The <<Politics/Religion/Current Affairs>> thread!!!!!!

I know but people end up getting way to upset over their view and it turns into more mud throwing then the polititions themselves.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 14:05      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a man, baby! [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 10 posted March 04, 2007 14:09      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently fewer than 1 in three people in the USA support BUSHFAILURE, and the miserable brand of politics that drive it.

BUSHFAILURE politics has little credibility outside of a small circle of fanatics who refuse to acknowledge that their policies and propaganda have divided and weakened our nation.

Anne Coulter is but one voice of this ugliness.

We are fortunate to have a representative of BUSHFAILURE here in GC, so we can all remind ourselves of what it is, what it means and how harmful BUSHFAILURE politics are.

The reason so many good, true Americans are eager to start the debate over a new President is that they are sorely tired of the current one.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 18:57      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi All _____________________________ Boy oh boy the conservitives really have one in Ann Coulter.

http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/48765/

In case you missed it, within that article there is a link to this very perceptive analysis of the sickness that currently afflicts right wing politics in the US.

I might be tempted to agree with your suggestion MacD if GWB had taken the faintest notice of the results of the mid term elections. I do not exaggerate when I say that I believe that GWB is taking us all to Hell in a handcart, and that his administration and the ideology it espouses is one of the most sinister political movements to have won power in a democracy since Adolf Hitler in the 1930s. So I feel just a bit pissed off about it, and about the government of my country supporting him. At such time as this evil movement returns to the political wilderness that is its natural home, my need to talk about it will also disappear.

We may all be just armchair politicians, but we talk about it because politics matters, and the alternative sounds too much like burying my head in the sand. And nobody has to listen anyway... [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 21:30      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cali,

I agree with most of what you are saying, however I might split a hair or two on exaggeration that the article is "a very perceptive analysis." I might also challenge the "Hitler" allusion.

Hitler leveraged the misery of Europe, particularly the post WWI devastation of Germany, to create his rise. That rise came out of poverty. I think that is a much more powerful force than the simple fears of fairly well-to-do Americans. At least right now, I hope it is.

The hate inspired by Nixon, and lead for a while by john Dean, came during a period of great prospertity. He chose communisim as the threat, and used Vietnam as his hammer. As long as people remained prosperous and bore little or no sacrifice in Vietnam he was allowed to scare people. When sacrifice became democratized by way of the draft lottery, and more sacrifice was required, we had widespread social unrest. Nixon called out the guard and started shooting Americans at Kent State.

As a side note, the labor riot in NYC, where hardhats beat up protesters was actually conducted by the Mafia. This is documented in tape recordings subpeonaed during the Watergate Hearings. It is well related in James Neff's excellent book on organized crime in the USA, "Mobbed Up".

http://www.namebase.org/sources/ZM.html

So we've had our "brownshirts" only they had Italian and Jewish surnames.

This digression does lead us to Watergate, an event that serendipitously allowed the Republican Party off the hook by creating the excuse, "Well, all politicians are alike, Nixon just got caught." I believe had Nixon continued his activities, the slow-moving pendulum of American politics would have caught up and swung this nation much father to the left than it did.

Today, I believe that pendulum is working against Bush. If we had a parlimentary system like you, he would be long gone. Only he is continuing, and in doing so upsetting more and more people. This is the third time in 100 years that Republicans have had the US Congress and the Presidency. It also happened in the 1920s and the 1950s and after each period of rule, the country took a hard swing to the left. I believe we're in the process of doing it again.

Abraham Lincoln once observed, "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time." Right now, Bush is running short of the "all of the people some of the time" crowd and subsisting primarily on the "all the people, all the time" crowd. That crowd is the core of the article to which you have linked. While you may feel the article is "very perceptive" piece over in England, it's a pretty obvious fact here in the USA. I estimate them at about 17% to 25% of the voting population of the United States. That's based on USA demographics and ratings of popular conservative hate mongers.

That crowd is the reason why James Dickey wrote the book, "Deliverance." Karl Rove is simply one more reason Ned Beatty will remain eternally popular.

As the article points out, it is not a true conservative group, but one driven primarily by religious conservatives. They seem to have their day every now and again, rising to atrocities like the Salem witch trials, and southern lynchings. Despite their "born again" protestations, they are an Old Testament, vengeance-based group of fear mongers. Eventually our society does fight back against them and chase them back into their caves. Read Sinclair Lewis's "Elmer Gantry", Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" for a look at these clowns. Or see Lawrence and Lee's play "Inherit the Wind." Not coincidentally, Arthur Miller wrote "The Crucibal" during the McCarthy hearings, and Republican fear monger hearings to this day are called "witch trials."

These are uniquely American lunatics, we know them well.

If you want to see how old the conservative religious schtick is, read this 250-year old anti-abolulitionist tract, I can send you a wonderful link. I would post it, but it has parentesis in it and that is a rule violation here.

You can link to this page:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/aap/murraybibAuthors01.html

Then click on author: De Fontaine, F[elix] G[regory], 1832-1896. Read about his takes on the four epochs of abolutionism.

These suckers haven't changed in all that time.

I wouldn't say they are harmless. You've seen what they can do. That's why I'm not planning any canoe trips down the Cahulawassee River any time soon.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted March 05, 2007 09:07      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*laugh*

I'm sorry, okay, the hypersensitivity of BOTH sides has gotten to epic proportions. I hate to say it, but the theater of both sides has the "can't look away" quality.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 11:01      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
*laugh*

I'm sorry, okay, the hypersensitivity of BOTH sides has gotten to epic proportions. I hate to say it, but the theater of both sides has the "can't look away" quality.

Unfortunately, that's what a lot of them seem to be going for. What's-her-name in particular knows that, as far as she's concerned, any press is good press. Why produce a well reasoned, fully formed opinion when one offensive sound bite will get you much further?

I thought this was a much better assessment of her and what should be done.

Unfortunately, politics is riddled with this kind of stuff now. It's hard to get a good political discussion going these days, because so many seem to think that those morons are somehow worthy of emulation.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 11:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 14:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
What's-her-name in particular knows that, as far as she's concerned, any press is good press. Why produce a well reasoned, fully formed opinion when one offensive sound bite will get you much further?

That video of her someone linked to a while back is a case in point. She was prattling on about how we should "kill their leaders and force them to convert to Christianity" and she looked quite embarrassed to be spouting such drivel.

She knows she's talking shit, but she's clearly found that being a living parody of the red-necked bigot pays quite well.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 16:36      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
What's-her-name in particular knows that, as far as she's concerned, any press is good press. Why produce a well reasoned, fully formed opinion when one offensive sound bite will get you much further?

That video of her someone linked to a while back is a case in point. She was prattling on about how we should "kill their leaders and force them to convert to Christianity" and she looked quite embarrassed to be spouting such drivel.

She knows she's talking shit, but she's clearly found that being a living parody of the red-necked bigot pays quite well.

I agree. I also suspect that her fan base isn't nearly as large as some think. It's more likely that they are just as shrill and obnoxious as she is, and it can be easy to confuse that with actual numbers. Unfortunately, she seems to have developed some kind of "Anna Nicole Smith" effect, in that she's a celebrity just because people pay attention, not because she has done anything particularly worthwhile.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 03:54      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do her books sell well?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 07:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure, but she got paid $20K+ to come speak at my campus for one evening three or four years ago. I didn't go. She's bad for my mental health.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 09:09      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Do her books sell well?

Good question, though I'm not sure it would necessarily tell us how popular her views are. Just being offensive can often create a large number of sales. I found one site that did a rather scientific-looking graph (the "evil quotes, in evilness" line was a nice touch): http://gawker.com/news/ann-coulter/ann-coulter-45-axis-of-evil-199123.php

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 07:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All _____________________ Well she has openned her mouth again this time to answer the critics!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,256860,00.html

It just gets better and better!

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 12:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best defense she could come up with is that she doesn't think 'faggot' refers to gay men? She might as well have tried to convince everyone that she was calling Edwards a meatball. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 12:29      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you suggesting John Edwards is His Noodliness, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, incarnate?!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 13:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All ________________________ What gets me is why isn't Rosie O'Donnel all over this, She usually gos all out over this stuff.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 13:41      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi All ________________________ What gets me is why isn't Rosie O'Donnel all over this, She usually gos all out over this stuff.

One can only hope that she's decided not to feed the beast.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture