homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Just in time for Easter...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just in time for Easter...
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 25, 2007 09:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brace yourself. James Cameron, the man who brought you 'The Titanic' is back with another blockbuster. This time, the ship he's sinking is Christianity.

Cameron is holding a New York press conference on Monday at which he will reveal three coffins, supposedly those of Jesus of Nazareth, his mother Mary and Mary Magdalene.

http://time-blog.com/middle_east/2007/02/jesus_tales_from_the_crypt.html

...putting out the fire, with gasoline...

Posts: 8113 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 09:56      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNA tests can only prove that the people in those tombs are related. It cannot prove who they are unless we had some jesus DNA to compare to.

Anyways the best comment to thiis time article was some woman asking.

"how could a person believe in the exodus and not the resurection" (james camron once did a documentary proving the exodus)

My immediate reaction, ask a jewish person that.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 10:30      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a publicity stunt.

My opinion (and fair disclosure: I am not christian)
Who cares? Christians are asked to believe odder things, and on less evidence. Why would this upset people?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 12:43      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I remember seeing that a book is supposed to come out about that in a month or two. My major issue with that is what Ashitaka said, but also even if we have evidence that the people in the tomb were named Jesus, Mary, Matthew, Jofa, and Judah, those were all very common names around the beginning of the first millenium in that part of the world. It would be like thinking that finding a tomb with a Jennifer, Josh, and Kaitlin proved that it was my family right now.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 14:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Cameron's revelation is overshadowed by some far more important religious news.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 14:50      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew it! I just knew that if I believed long enough and hard enough my faith in the FSM would be rewarded! Pastafarians of the world rejoice, for the benoodled one has returned! At last, after long absence, we'll have our pirates back! The world is saved! Are you Saved?

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2007 09:23      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be curious as to what exactly the evidence they are providing is. I don't get cable, so I'll have to settle for reading commentary and debate on the whole thing later. However, I think many Christians are getting rather jaded about people claiming to have disproved some belief or another. I wouldn't be surprised if James Cameron doesn't stir up as much outrage as he hopes to.

Edit:
Just ran across this one:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/26/D8NHFDRG3.html
Apparently the BBC did a piece on this same tomb a little over a decade ago.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture