homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Send More Australian Troops!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Send More Australian Troops!
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 4 posted February 11, 2007 13:49      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard from our antipodean geek friends that John Howard has a big mouth.

The Obama camp's response was fitting.

"If Prime Minister Howard truly believes what he says, perhaps his country should find its way to contribute more than just 1,400 troops so some American troops can come home," he said. "It's easy to talk tough when it's not your country or your troops making the sacrifices."

SSSSSSMACK!!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/11/australia.obama.ap/index.html

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 17:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An aussie magazine ran a poll recently, to find the 'most embarrassing aussie'.

There's no prize for guessing who won.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 20:48      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like to take a moment to thank Australia's people for electing an embarassing person. That moment when everyone wasn't staring at the poo-throwing antics of our monkey-in-cheif was refreshing. Please, understand that we didn't elect him the first time. Unfortunately, that moral victory was undermined by the fact that he won legitimately the second time.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 11:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A comment on the issue from a workmate...

"A ventriloquist's dummy always says what the ventriloquist wants it to."

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 12:21      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
An aussie magazine ran a poll recently, to find the 'most embarrassing aussie'.

There's no prize for guessing who won.

Out of interest, have you aussies seen the Shane Warne hair loss ads?

Oh, and did you see the one day tri-nation series?

(Am I dreaming?)

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 12:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Oh, and did you see the one day tri-nation series?

Interestingly, the bookies were paying 50-1 on that.

Not that I'm suggesting there could be 'match fixing' in international cricket, that would never happen, would it? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

atayarani
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4268

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 12:32      Profile for atayarani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
Unfortunately, that moral victory was undermined by the fact that he won legitimately the second time.

Maybe I missed something, but I think that point is still debatable. I had heard that many minorities, especially in Ohio (the deciding state), were blocked from voting due to insufficient voting supplies/staff. The polls in the minority and/or lower-income areas were closed down either too early, or sporadically throughout the day.

I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not. Not that I don't like minorities, I just don't want to think that the American public really did this to itself.

Posts: 33 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 18:34      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid,

I'm going to take that most embarassing link at face value, but I can't get away from the notion that Russel Crowe may have won the distinction had he not threatened to beat up anybody who voted for him.

Despite his incompetence, I doubt the lazy W would make the top of our most embarassing person list. He'd have to get past Britney Spears and K-Fed.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 19:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
I'm going to take that most embarassing link at face value, but I can't get away from the notion that Russel Crowe may have won the distinction had he not threatened to beat up anybody who voted for him.

We're not embarrassed by that kind of behaviour, in fact, in certain circles it's considered a patriotic duty.

Little Johnnie Howard on the other hand, is a sniveling whining little arse-licker who had his own PR department put about the nickname "man of steel". Now that's deeply embarrassing.

btw - Rusty's a kiwi, as are many famous 'aussies'.
Most of the rest are either poms or septics.
We're calling Mel Gibson a septic these days, we didn't disown him because he gets drunk and makes a fool of himself, but because he's a whacko religious ratbag.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 10:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

We're not embarrassed by that kind of behaviour, in fact, in certain circles it's considered a patriotic duty.

Little Johnnie Howard on the other hand, is a sniveling whining little arse-licker who had his own PR department put about the nickname "man of steel". Now that's deeply embarrassing.

btw - Rusty's a kiwi, as are many famous 'aussies'.
Most of the rest are either poms or septics.
We're calling Mel Gibson a septic these days, we didn't disown him because he gets drunk and makes a fool of himself, but because he's a whacko religious ratbag.

Mel Gibson will always hold a special place in my heart for coining the phrase,

"What're you looking at, sugar tits?"

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 17:00      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid,

I agree with you, 100% on your John Howard comments. He seems to be a total moron all the way at the other end of the world.

I had to snicker at his "If I were running Al Queda ..." comment.

If Howard, Bush or Blair -- any one of them -- we're running Al Queda, I think we'd be winning this war by now.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 05:20      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Druid,

I agree with you, 100% on your John Howard comments. He seems to be a total moron all the way at the other end of the world.

I had to snicker at his "If I were running Al Queda ..." comment.

If Howard, Bush or Blair -- any one of them -- we're running Al Queda, I think we'd be winning this war by now.

Oh hell yes. The thing I don't get about Howard is why he's lasted so long in government, and who it is who actually likes him being there...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 19:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: sorry to say CP, but it looks like you'll be getting your wish.

Our PM has just announced a 5% increase in the number of aussie troops who'll be targets^h^h^h^h^h^h^hserving in Iraq.

It seems Mr Obama told him to, and Mr Obama has an American accent, so Howard couldn't help but obey.

--------------------

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 19:34      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now if only our accents worked better on girly-girls instead of girly-men...

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
luck4mike
Newbie Larva
Member # 7426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 12:36      Profile for luck4mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my auntie lives in sydney and she has only kind owrds for you know who [Applause]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture