homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Be very afraid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Be very afraid
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 17:32      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big brother is watching, even if he can't read very well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070121/ap_on_re_us/letter_writer_threat

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 17:43      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, if the FBI is spending all its time chasing 81-year old editorial writers who think authorities should have hanged Osama instead of Saddam, that might explain this:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-01-22-fbi-foley_x.htm

[shake head] [shake head] [shake head] [shake head] [shake head]

Your conservative tax dollars at work!

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 21:48      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im glad not be be an american taxpayers. At least Brazilīs government gets me free women and booze. [Wink]

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 09:34      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The inspector general found that the FBI's handling of the matter did not constitute misconduct and that an unidentified FBI supervisory special agent acted within "the range of discretion" when the agent found no apparent evidence of criminal wrongdoing.

However, the e-mails provided enough troubling indications on their face, particularly given the position of trust and authority that Foley held with respect to House pages, that a better practice for the FBI would have been to take at least some follow-up steps with regard to the e-mails," the inspector general's report found.

I would agree with that assessment, overall. From what I've read so far, there still isn't any evidence that Foley was breaking the law. He was behaving quite unethically (as well as foolishly) and deserved to lose his position, but that doesn't always equate to criminal behavior.

On the other end, the job of the FBI is to investigate crime, so if there isn't any evidence of a crime, they logically have no responsibility. As the report said, it probably would have been wise for them to follow up better, but they aren't required to.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 11:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
From what I've read so far, there still isn't any evidence that Foley was breaking the law. He was behaving quite unethically (as well as foolishly) and deserved to lose his position, but that doesn't always equate to criminal behavior.

From what I've heard, Foley himself was the sponsor of a law specifically designed to catch dirty old men using the internet to procure minors. He would have been an ideal subject for the new laws.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 12:28      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
From what I've read so far, there still isn't any evidence that Foley was breaking the law. He was behaving quite unethically (as well as foolishly) and deserved to lose his position, but that doesn't always equate to criminal behavior.

From what I've heard, Foley himself was the sponsor of a law specifically designed to catch dirty old men using the internet to procure minors. He would have been an ideal subject for the new laws.
Could be. I am hardly an expert on the whole scandal, but I seem to recall that while the text messages were dirty, there is a lack of evidence for intent to do anything, so even under the proposed law the charges might not stick in a courtroom (especially with a good lawyer, which he certainly would have).

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 12:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might choose your words better in the last sentence...

...or hanging around GC & b3ta may have just put me more in the gutter than others. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 23, 2007 12:55      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or better yet, don't be afraid, that is how they control you.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 19:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JulioC:
Im glad not be be an american taxpayers. At least Brazilīs government gets me free women and booze. [Wink]

... free women from the government?

*looks into immigrating*

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 20:34      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
You might choose your words better in the last sentence...

...or hanging around GC & b3ta may have just put me more in the gutter than others. [Wink]

Guess I've managed to not screw up my head enough yet, because I just don't see it, even after several read-throughs. The only thing I can figure is that maybe it was my use of the word "stick".

--------------------

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 12:45      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's unfortunate that Foley ended up harassing those boys and outing himself. I agree that he behaved inapropriately, but he won't be the first gay man to deal with that kind of internal conflict because he can't reconsile who he is vs. who society says gay people are. That conflict probably even informed his personal crusade against internet predators. He might not have been into the younger men originally- he may have conflated the negative behavior with his gay feelings because it was widely believed that homosexuality is bad within his party.

If we were a society in which people could be happy regardless of whether or not they were gay this kind of thing would cease to be as great an issue. On the other hand:

Yay, we got the Republicans out!!! Now we just need to take out the Democrats! (Down with political parties, up with real issues fielded by real people!!)

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

Đ 2015 Geek Culture