homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » More about Saddam (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: More about Saddam
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2007 18:10      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if saddam == bad && killing == bad then
killing saddam == good

somethings not right here...

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 03:08      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether the overthrow of Saddam's regime was justified (and of course in the eyes of the vast majority on this planet it was not) is irrelevant. We are where we are. Whether or not his execution was justified again is not the main question. What I would really like the supporters of GWB to tell me is how they they think they will manage to create a government in Iraq with both the will and ability to run that country, and a criminal justice system and security services that will work for and be trusted by everyone, out of the chaos that exists there now.

The provisional administration spent $18 billion dollars of US money with almost no visible effect, and a much larger amount of Iraqi money. They don't even know how much Iraqi money because the accounting safeguards for that money are almost non-existent. And remember that provisional administration was run by Republicans and Republican sympathisers, who pride themselves on getting stuff done.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 17:16      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cali,

What I would like to know is why so many people on the vicious right would prefer to discuss Sadam and Iraq, rather than develop a plan to win in Afghanistan.

I want to hear more about hanging Osama and less about the hanging of Saddam.

I want to hear more about Pakistani intelligence working with terrorists in Afghanistan than trumped up charges of Iranian spies working in Iraq.

Right now the Taliban is setting up schools in southern Afgahnistan because our armed forces are too weak and too impotent to stop them. Herion is once again the number one export of that nation -- that is behind the export of US troops to a Bush-created civil war in Iraq.

Finally, Cali for you -- on a subject you breached in another posting. Why was Nixon a crook for ordering the break-in of the Watergate Hotel, and Bush is not a crook for ordering the break in of any American's homes without warrant?

Just food for thought.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 17:18      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
killing saddam == good

Bush + Cheney = Two Rights = A wrong.

Just do your fuzzy math!

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 17:34      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
killing saddam == good

Bush + Cheney = Two Rights = A wrong.

Just do your fuzzy math!

CP

Okay, so let me see if I'm following:

According to your theory
Two Rights = A Wrong

and

Two Wrongs != A Right

and

A Right != A Left

Then One can only infer that A Left = Two Wrongs.

So would 3 Lefts = A Right?

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 17:39      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace,

I think you spent way too much time watching Hillary Clinton this weekend.

"Don't ask. Don't Tell" only applies to gays in the military, not Hillary Clinton fans.

[Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 21:18      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Hilary - Who plunked down the Muslim card on Obama?
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2007 21:46      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Cali,

What I would like to know is why so many people on the vicious right would prefer to discuss Sadam and Iraq, rather than develop a plan to win in Afghanistan.

I want to hear more about hanging Osama and less about the hanging of Saddam.[/B]

I want to hear more about Pakistani intelligence working with terrorists in Afghanistan than trumped up charges of Iranian spies working in Iraq.

Right now the Taliban is setting up schools in southern Afgahnistan because our armed forces are too weak and too impotent to stop them. Herion is once again the number one export of that nation -- that is behind the export of US troops to a Bush-created civil war in Iraq.

Finally, Cali for you -- on a subject you breached in another posting. Why was Nixon a crook for ordering the break-in of the Watergate Hotel, and Bush is not a crook for ordering the break in of any American's homes without warrant?

Just food for thought.

CP

QTF

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 08:50      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
Speaking of Hilary - Who plunked down the Muslim card on Obama?

I was reading the CNN article today. I wouldn't put it past Hillary to try and use the paranoid fear of muslims some people seem to have, but I also wouldn't be surprised if someone thought they'd try to smear both campaigns at once by faking Clinton's involvement.

I also read the email hoax yesterday. By my figuring, that's just the fearful conspiracy theorist types who find the words "muslim" and "Indonesia" his biography and fill in the rest on their own.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 15:40      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it funny that no one on the other side of the aisle thinks anything of Obama being raised by a Muslim Stepdad. He is, after all, a Christian.
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 15:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Obama's elementary school education is and should be the sort of thing that should be a non-issue, especially in light of who he has become since then, but it is suggestive of the depths the competition will plumb, and the mean-spiritedness that is politics these days. I'm deathly afraid of what is to come as election season progresses, especially now that Hillary is running (I am not a Hillary fan...in fact, I dislike anyone, Democrat or GOP, who ever supported the Iraq war). I wish there was some hole I could hide in until Nov. 2008. It's going to be ugly. Really, really ugly.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 16:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
I find it funny that no one on the other side of the aisle thinks anything of Obama being raised by a Muslim Stepdad. He is, after all, a Christian.

From roughly the middle of the aisle, to use that metaphor, I find it odd that people are making a big deal of it. Just a little knowledge and logic tells you that Obama's stepfather was very unlikely to have been an extremist, because he married a divorced non-religious American woman. What kind of fundamentalist would do that? Besides, he went to live with his American grandparents when he was 10, so he spent most of his formative years in Hawaii with them, not his stepdad. The wikipedia article on Obama is pretty well sourced regarding his early life.

quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I think Obama's elementary school education is and should be the sort of thing that should be a non-issue, especially in light of who he has become since then, but it is suggestive of the depths the competition will plumb, and the mean-spiritedness that is politics these days. I'm deathly afraid of what is to come as election season progresses, especially now that Hillary is running (I am not a Hillary fan...in fact, I dislike anyone, Democrat or GOP, who ever supported the Iraq war). I wish there was some hole I could hide in until Nov. 2008. It's going to be ugly. Really, really ugly.

It might be, unfortunately. I'm hoping that Obama can stand up to the crap he's going to get thrown at him between now and then, but there's only one way to find out.

(Yes, I am something of an Obama nut. [Razz] )

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture