homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » saddam dead? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: saddam dead?
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 20:11      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is saddam dead yet ???

saddam

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 20:15      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is, apparently.

Someone should film some bumpy, blurry footage of a staged hanging, and upload it to Blip or Revver as "leaked film" of his hanging. Make some money from the ads.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 23:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was filmed so it should be surfacing anytime soon. So when do Bush and Blair hang?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 00:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's ironic that they hanged him for a massacre that took place in 1982, when he was "Our man in the gulf". For years afterwards, he enjoyed the warm (and military) support of the USA and Australia.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 09:29      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's ironic that people have never heard "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Nation-to-Nation relations are not the same as those on the third grade playground.
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 12:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
Nation-to-Nation relations are not the same as those on the third grade playground.

You're right there, third-graders typically display far greater maturity.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 12:26      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
It's ironic that they hanged him for a massacre that took place in 1982, when he was "Our man in the gulf". For years afterwards, he enjoyed the warm (and military) support of the USA and Australia.

Well, look at it this way. Rather than hanging him for any of his alleged large scale atrocities, they chose to take him down with a relatively small domestic crime. The 150 of so people he killed for that crime pale in comparison to hundreds killed every day since the US illegal invasion.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 13:00      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ill skip the usual list of stuff Saddam got from US and Europe, weaponry and chemicals, and the list of dicators supported past and present by the West, even the US bodycount in Iraq surpassing 9-11 numbers and the Iraqi deaths 2000-short to surpassing the Saddam year's bodycount, or even the everlasting Shiite/Sunni grudge that Saddam kept in check and US cant and say this-

Its good seeing someone take out one of the biggest foreign policy errors in the Middle East. Im just surprised it took 3 presidencies for someone to do so.

If anyone deserved hanging, Saddam is that person.

Im going to wait and see how the Iraq situation is in the next 2 years before giving an opinion on it.

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 13:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The timing's interesting...

quote:
From CNN article:
Eid Al-Adha -- a holiday period that means Feast of the Sacrifice, celebrated by Muslims around the world at the climax of the hajj pilgrimage to Mecca. The law does not permit executions to be carried out during religious holidays.

Eid began Saturday for Sunnis and begins Sunday for Shiites. It lasts for four days. Hussein was a Sunni Muslim.

So, the execution took place on the first day of Eid if you're Sunni, or the day before Eid if you're Shiite. By tradition, Eid is a time when prisoners are pardoned, no executions take place during the festival.

I bet that does wonders to soothe the sectarian tension in Iraq.

--------------------

JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 15:14      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the execution, bewarned, he suffocated slowly

Saddam hung http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7532034279766935521

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 15:59      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
It's ironic that people have never heard "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Nation-to-Nation relations are not the same as those on the third grade playground.

I do hope your president has finally learned this lesson too.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 19:20      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JulioC:
Here's the execution, bewarned, he suffocated slowly

Saddam hung http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7532034279766935521

This saddens me greatly.
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 19:53      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe they hung him! How...tasteless. If they really wanted to make him pay for what he did, try putting him in isolation for 50 years. Or forcing him to watch Hayden Christensen...

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 19:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by never_ask_why333:
I can't believe they hung him! How...tasteless. If they really wanted to make him pay for what he did, try putting him in isolation for 50 years. Or forcing him to watch Hayden Christensen...

As much as I detest the death penalty, I can't say I disagree with it in his case. I guess the thing that would concern me the most is that in the event of a complete gov't handoff to .iq, he might be broken out by insurgents and reinstated. Just how much time and money do you think would be spent on his security? In the end, he was a very bad man, and now he's dead. I can't say that his death necessarily came about by the most just means of trial, but it is done.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 20:31      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having sat in contemplation for many hours trying to make sense of my emotions and the great disappointment I have in the Hanging of Saddam Hussein; many very good points come to mind, many statements concerning the way of life, and many other emotions that have stemmed from this tragic event.

quote:

Hitler was a very great man. ... he was a great German and he rose Germany up from the ashes of her defeat by the united force of all of Europe and America after the First World War. Yet Hitler took Germany from the ashes and rose her up and made her the greatest fighting machine of the twentieth century, brothers and sisters, and even though Europe and America had deciphered the code that Hitler was using to speak to his chiefs of staff, they still had trouble defeating Hitler even after knowing his plans in advance. Now I'm not proud of Hitler's evil toward Jewish people, but that's a matter of record. He rose Germany up from nothing.

Greatness, like achievement and reward, has a very positive connotation. Great is simply more than average. It has no ties to good or evil, two terms which are very subjective within themselves. Alfred the Great, after all, given his name as the King at war, was a great at things thought to be horrible by some. Hitler was great. Saddam was great. He provided hope for some, and that within itself is a great feat.

Two commanders, more often than not, can sit as civil as friends and drink tea from the same pot as they are very similar people, though, whose troops would give their life to take that of the opposing commanders. This, and this alone, leads me to a verse of Deuteronomy 12.2-3.

quote:

Having conquered these nations, you must utterly destroy all the sanctuaries where they honored their gods-on the mountains heights, on the hills, and under every leafy tree. Topple their altars, smash their pillars, burn their sacred groves and hew down their idols, and thus blot out all memory of them from these places.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 21:00      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace, what f**king drugs are you on? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 02:29      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the view from the sharp end.

It makes our self importance and bickering very trivial. Poor bastards. [Frown]

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 02:52            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes you realise that the depth of ruin of the world is still always worse than you realised. And then you realise that whoever wrote that, has TV, Internet access, so if you think where she lives is bad, it's gotta be whole lot worse still somewhere else.
IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 02:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The government that governs best, governs least."

- Thomas Jefferson.

"by these standards, we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq"

- S Colbert.

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted December 31, 2006 03:15      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
December 30, 2006 12:26
Rather than hanging him for any of his alleged large scale atrocities.... The 150 of so people he killed for that crime pale in comparison ....

[shake head]   Alleged Large Scale Atrocities? Obviously "alleged" like Hitler's "alleged" killing of a few million Jews. Or the "alleged" massacres in Sudan?

[shake head]   The 150 he killed pale in comparison....?     "Everyone" knows Saddam's regime wiped out as many as 300,000 Iraqis. If you're going to be wrong by more than a quarter of a million dead, why not say Saddam was framed for killing the other 148 people?

quote:
December 30, 2006 00:34
(Saddam) enjoyed the warm (and military) support of the USA and Australia.

Iraq's best jet fighter,Mirage F-1, was purchased from France.

The Iraqi army was also well-equipped with (what some considered to be the best artillery weapon in the world) the French-made 155 mm howitzer.

The vast majority of Iraq's air force consisted of nearly 200 Russian-made jet fighters including MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-25, Sukhoi SU-22 and Sukhoi SU-25 interceptors.

The Iraqi army was equipped with hundreds of Russian artillery pieces, rocket launchers, BMP armored vehicles, T-55 and T-72 tanks and Scud missiles.

Iraq reportedly owed Russia over $4 billion for arms purchases in the past 20 years.

It defies logic that Iraq was armed with French and Russian weapons and owed billions of dollars to France and Russia as a result of being "supported by the US and Australia."

quote:
December 30, 2006 13:10
The timing's interesting....     So, the execution took place on ... Eid.... By tradition, Eid is a time when prisoners are pardoned, no executions take place during the festival.

December 30, 2006 00:34
It's ironic that they hanged him for a massacre that took place in 1982.

It looks more like someone wanted to "make a statement" -- Irony is irrelevant.
  1. Who were the victims? -- Shiites. Where's the concern for dead Kurds?

2. How many were killed? -- 148 dead? Where's the concern for the other quarter of a million that were murdered by Saddam's regime (to include 80,000 Kurds)?

3. How long ago did it happen? -- Over 20 years ago (1982). Was an old event used to display a policy of "never forget" (always get revenge)?

4. When was the execution performed? -- Within one day of a festival where pardons are granted and executions suspended? Apparently a "double insult" to Sunnis because the execution was during the festival where executions should not occur.

Bottom line: 98% of Iraqis may want peace, but those with "power" (RPG's, machine guns, plastic explosives, etc) want revenge and more power, and they gladly let everyone know it.   [Frown]

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 14:19      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
[QUOTE]
Bottom line: 98% of Iraqis may want peace, but those with "power" (RPG's, machine guns, plastic explosives, etc) want revenge and more power, and they gladly let everyone know it.

ASM,

Could you explain this last statement more clearly? It appears at odds with one fundamental conservative principle.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

http://www.nraila.org/issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=108

You haven't gone Ted Kennedy or Hillary Clinton on us, have you?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Explainer
Mini Geek
Member # 5716

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 14:30      Profile for The Explainer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr 65816 believes that proof of other nations assisting Iraq somehow disproves the assertion that the USA was also providing assistance.

Mr 65816 is obviously unaware that US support for Iraq during the Iran-Iraq war is a matter of public record.

quote:
From Wikipedia article:

"pathogenic" (meaning disease producing), "toxigenic" (meaning poisonous) and other biological research materials were exported to Iraq, pursuant to application and licensing by the U.S. Department of Commerce. It added: "These exported biological materials were not attenuated or weakened and were capable of reproduction."[14]

The report then detailed 70 shipments (including anthrax bacillus) from the United States to Iraqi government agencies over three years, concluding "It was later learned that these microorganisms exported by the United States were identical to those the UN inspectors found and recovered from the Iraqi biological warfare program.

"UN inspectors had identified many United States manufactured items that had been exported from the United States to Iraq under licenses issued by the Department of Commerce, and [established] that these items were used to further Iraq's chemical and nuclear weapons development and its missile delivery system development programs."

Mr 65816 is also presumably unaware of this friendly meeting between Saddam and Donald Rumsfeld, in December 1983.
 -

Posts: 53 | From: The hall of logic | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 18:56      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By golly gosh ASM, I see it all now. It wasn't our fault, we didn't do it, we weren't there. And 98% of Iraqis support us.

Thanks for putting me right.

--------------------

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 06:47      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
By golly gosh ASM, I see it all now. It wasn't our fault, we didn't do it, we weren't there. And 98% of Iraqis support us.

Thanks for putting me right.

Of course Cali. It's the 2% that keep blowing the shit out of us.
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 16:17      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now who is going to double-park in front of Kramer's car?
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture