homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » "YOU" WTF?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "YOU" WTF?!
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 17, 2006 05:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Times person of the year is you. I am sickly reminded of the "you are all special" BS I was fed as a child. this decision is a cop-out. The editor should be fired. Odds are, if you are reading Time magizine, you did nothing to shape the future of mankind.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 05:28      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's more disturbing to me is that they are touting the emporers new clothes, oh sorry web 2 as a world changing thingy... bless.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 15:14      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My resume will now read,

"Man of the Year 2006"

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 15:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:D
IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 15:58      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice,

I so just want to get a copy of time, bring it into class and have the teacher read the cover.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 07:26      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just learned a little more about it: allegedly, it's Mr/Ms Anybody who contributes content to the web that is the target of the Time's headline.

But still, it feels rather more "Nobody really stood out this year, so let's take the easy way out."

So let's do it for them: who would you select as the Man/Woman of the year?

It's actually hard, as there's no major event I recall that involved one person. So I'll say David Suzuki, if only for more than speaking about the environment, but also doing something, and inspiring others to do the same.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 07:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo wrote:
I just learned a little more about it: allegedly, it's Mr/Ms Anybody who contributes content to the web that is the target of the Time's headline.

So, the goatse guy and tubgirl should be on the cover of time [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 08:27      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:

So let's do it for them: who would you select as the Man/Woman of the year?

It's actually hard, as there's no major event I recall that involved one person.

The Person does not have to actually be a good influence on society, just the most influential. If I remember correctly Hitler made man of the year back in the 30's.

I think the irainian President ( I am not even going to atampt spellinghis name.)is a definate potential canidate for his actions in destabilizing the middle east. It looks like he is on the way out though.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 10:03      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
( I am not even going to atampt spellinghis name.)

Good idea, since you already flubbed "attempt" in the non-attempt [Big Grin]

The Iranian president was the first to leap to my mind as well. No one else really stands out to me on the world stage.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 12:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
But still, it feels rather more "Nobody really stood out this year, so let's take the easy way out."

More like "all the strong candidates are on the list for doing bad things, and we're tired of getting buckets of shit dumped on us when we select nasty people".

When they named Ayatollah Khomeini back in '79 there was a hell of a row, and thousands of readers cancelled their subscriptions. In 2001, the obvious candidate was Osama Bin Laden, but they wimped out and chose Guiliani instead.

When will the general public get it through their thick skulls that being Time Person Of The Year is not necessarily an honour?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 12:33      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
When will the general public get it through their thick skulls that being Time Person Of The Year is not necessarily an honour?

Hmmm, when they'll understand that there are things more important than fame, maybe?

(And I too thought about the Iranian president, then I thought: what for? Openly mocking the US? Trying to make his country a nuclear force? Not quite a feat on either counts. But I'll agree that a lot of ink was spent on him.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 07:58      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping for Hugo Chávez...because the Man Of The Year doesn't have to be an American or a criminal every single year. [Roll Eyes]
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 17:16      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Stereo wrote:

So, the goatse guy and tubgirl should be on the cover of time [evil]

Do you remember the America's Border issue? You might not be subscribed to time, but a quick google search for "Time America's Border."

*rambles incoherently* . *eats shoots and leaves*

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 10:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
I was hoping for Hugo Chávez...because the Man Of The Year doesn't have to be an American or a criminal every single year. [Roll Eyes]

Agreed. Fanatical rhetoric or not, the "devil has stood right here" and "it still smells of sulphur" is comedic gold.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Captain Marvel
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:29      Profile for Captain Marvel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jeffatwork:
One set of candidates would be the Gates' & Forbes, who combined much of their wealth into one of the worlds largest charitable organizations. No, I am not a big fan of Windows, or Bill Gates personally, but I do think that much money takes on a personality of its own.

The tax breaks are very worthwhile when you donate as much money as the Gates' have, on the other hand.
Posts: 11 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 21:06      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worst Man of the year ever.

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture