homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Finally Canada complains

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally Canada complains
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2006 09:03      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you haven't been doing so i recomend that everyone should follow the Arar case. For those who don't know the story yet. Maher Arar was a Syrian born Canadian citizen who moved to Canada at a very young age. When he was sent to America for questioning on information which the Americans though linked him to Terrorist organizations. When arriving in America he was immediatly sent to Syria on no charges and tortured there for one year before finally being released.

P.M. Harper as of yesterday has now sent an offical complaint to Bush about why Arar was sent to Syria to be tortured on no charges and why this illegal deportation took place. Arar case

I think Mr. Harper is finally stepping up to the plate and at least making an attempt to show Canadians that Canada is not a country wich will let America do whatever it wants. Because if you think about it, this could of happend to anyone even if you are an american or Canadian citizen America still has the power to sent you to a country with no charges to be tortured.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2006 11:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7 wrote:
Canada is not a country wich will let America do whatever it wants

Yeah! Go Canada!

We'll just ingore that pesky bit about the RCMP providing misleading information to US officials, which makes them complicit in the crimes committed against Arar...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2006 12:14      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, even if the RCMP did provide misleading info. then you still don't go and deport someone to be tortured. Yes Canada is partially respondsable that is why Canada is picking up the bill to pay Arar a large amount of money to composate for his suffering.

But Canada wasn't the country which deported Arar, that was America's wrong doing so I think it is only right that Bush apologizes to Arar similar to what mr. Harper did once he found out all the details of the case. And i think america should also be picking up half the tab.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2006 13:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that what the US government did was wrong.

But take these points from the article you linked:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper has launched an official complaint with the United States over its mistreatment of Maher Arar, and personally told President George W. Bush the Americans must explain why the Canadian citizen was deported to Syria and tortured.

After a two-year investigation, Justice Dennis O'Connor reported last month that mistaken information passed on to U.S. authorities by the RCMP "very likely" led to the U.S. deportation decision.

Sounds almost like we already know why, doesn't it.

And let's not forget that the Garvie report indicates that the RCMP went out of their way to break their own rules in order to get that mistaken information to the US government and that the RCMP was aware that Mr. Arar would be deported to Syria, but did not intervene.

It seems very likely that groups of overzealous idiots on both sides were eager to pursue anyone they could, in any way possible and that Mr. Arar was victimized in the process.

Personally, I think we should deport all the overzealous idiots from both sides to Syria or some other similar place with a history of brutal treatment of prisoners. They might come back a little less eager to deport people on a whim.

Let's toss senator Ted Stevens in there too, even if he wasn't involved. He can come back and explain how a torture camp really works. I'm sure tubes are involved.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture