homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » History of campaign advertisements

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: History of campaign advertisements
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2006 08:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://livingroomcandidate.movingimage.us/index.php

It's particularly interesting to compare ads from times of war with those from times when the country has been at peace.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2006 08:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen______________________I really would like to see a Candidate with the Proporties of both John McCain and John Kerry how ever no such person exisits.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2006 16:40      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see the Willie Horton "Revolving Door" spot is listed.

Years ago in a previous life I worked for the man, Dennis Frankenberry, who wrote and produced that advertisement.

The spot involved a convict named Willie Horton and Massachusets work release program. Interestingly, Dennis was on work release himself when he wrote the commercial.

Dennis, you see had a very bad substance abuse problem, and one night after Milwaukee's riotous drunken orgy known as "Summerfest" had closed for the evening, Dennis poured his drunken self into his BMW 733, and decided to hot rod in heavy traffic, seriously injuring two motorcyclists, one of them was permanently brain damaged. Dennis was caught by Shorewood police hiding in some bushes.

At the time the client contact for the advertisement was Roger Ailes, currently the head of Fox News.

A few years later, Dennis, wraught with shame commited suicide at the Hazelden clinic.

I know intimately the slimey wiles of right-wing manipulation-- they helped pay my salary for a while.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE6D81F39F937A35755C0A964958260

http://www.milwaukeemagazine.com/102001/work.asp

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2006 18:46      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really must get a screen for that window. Is that a fly buzzing around in here, or is it merely that distant hysterical barking dog?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2006 20:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American Political Campaigns 101:

There shall be two and only two opponents. All the pretenders will stand aside and watch.

Each opponent will take a nice big bucket and fill it with mud. The opponents will then square off, turn around, march three paces, and face each other. Whoever throws the most mud the fastest wins. Heavy duty rain jackets are recommended for all spectators.

Or you can just kill your television and listen to the commercial-free bliss that is public radio.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture