homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Keith Olberman on Bush & 9/11

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keith Olberman on Bush & 9/11
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 11 posted September 25, 2006 18:02      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally, the frank truth comes out.

This should be read:

"A Textbook Definition of Cowardice"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15004160/

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 2 posted September 25, 2006 23:46      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speechless.

I'll say this for those of us who know the truth.

To undermine the leadership renders the mission lost.

There is a certain truth that I must hold to myself to keep honor and pride in what I do. That truth is in fact a state of self invoked ignorance. I do what I'm told.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 04:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP_________________________As I sat reading Mr. Olberman I was reminded of an old joke about Russia, The new head of state is talking to the old head of state and asks how to do some things. He gets this reply, in the desk you will find two letters read the one marked first. Well things went smooth for a few years and then the people started to notice that nothing had changed so he openned the first letter that advised him to blame his predecessor and all went well for a while, well things went badly and he was forced to read the second letter, Inside he found "Write two letters".

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 08:30      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Loosely related.) Reading the article, I got this idea:

Let's admit the Bush administration has a few working neurons, and that the Iraqi war isn't about oil (or not only, if you prefer).

Would it be that the Bush administration is actually "safeguarding" the US territory by providing the terrorists targets closer to their hands? Like the house owner would buy a scratch pole for the cat: "Here, use your claws against our army men, and leave our home furnitures alone, will you?"

Just a tought.

Jace: That's why I couldn't be a soldier (apart that I'm fat and lazy [crazy] ) - I value too much my free will and ability to think by myself. I couldn't obey an order I feel is wrong. I can't bend my ideas (and actions) to fit someone else's point of view. I believe the will to improve means to always doubth the ways we were taught. What is it that they say? "Crows fly in pack, eagles fly alone?" Then I see myself as a (fat and lazy) eagle. Just my opinion, anyway, and I respect the courage it takes to do what you do: not only putting your life on the line, but doing it with blind faith for those who tell you to do so. I know I couldn't.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 08:40      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clinton does a good job of running his mouth about what a great job he did and how perfect he was.

Maybe if he hadn't been feeding sausage to the interns he might have noticed that OBL was given to him and he fumbled. He just kept boppin interns.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 11:23      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has to be said...

Momma taught us, "Believe none of what you read (or hear), and only half of what you see."

Both right and left members of the media have agendas, including advancing their own political preferences and increasing their power base. Add to that the fact that they love to stir up the population with their sound-bites (because it sells advertising time and space) and you have a formula for the ridiculously polarized rants that take place.

This is nothing new. In Abraham Lincoln's day, he regularly lamented the poor journalistic ethics that prevailed among correspondents of news services.

When will we ever learn?

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 16:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP_______________________Has this country suddenly had a case of selective amnesia, I remember the cruise missile attacks before Clinton left office. I remember that the local news reported that Pakistan was given an ultimatum, why oh why does the shrub suddenly say that this is the first time he has heard about the threat made to Pakistan does he live under a rock, oh yeah that was about the time one of his daughters was getting into bars underage, he had more important things to watch out for.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 17:00      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was interesting to see Clinton get a little worked up, considering he usually came across as a fairly mellow person, but I've been far more interested in the newest report of Bin Laden's death, anyway.

I can't help but wonder if he didn't die years ago, and his followers haven't just been faking that he's alive by creative use of old video and audio tapes. Given that, just last month, they released a couple hours worth of footage of him in 2001, they probably had a decent stockpile of material.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 18:08      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic,

This is a different kind of rant. Finally we are seeing MOR and Liberal rage against the far right machine. For too long this group has been too polite. Rage and anger and rudely pointing our that the far right is dishonest and nuts will continue.

The only way civil debate will resume, is that if the loud-mouthed bullies get some of their own back. As I've demonstrated time and again, when I treat them the way they treat me, the break down and whine. To paraphrase Colonel Jessep, "They can't handle the truth."

Look, the real honesty of this war is the Republicans can't and won't win the war. And that is evident in two truths I've been pressing:

1. They can't raise the funds to pay for the war. They prefer to send our troops into combat with bad quipment than give up their tax cuts. They'd rather have their MTV Sweet Sixteen parties than sweet victory over terrorism.

2. They can't raise the fighting force to win the war. FDR put more troops on Normandy Beach on one day, D-Day, than we currently have in all of Iraq -- and the Pentagon has to back draft to do it. Muffin and Trey Republican value their MBAs and BMWs more than they do winning against terrorism.

MoMan,

No, I don't think the country has a case of selective amnesia. I think the far right has been pressing us into having a case of selective amnesia, and there has to be passionate push back against that.

Despite all evidence to the contrary the core of the far right still believes their are WMDs in Iraq. Why? Because Dick Cheney keeps telling them that. And now they want to establish this new lie. I can't allow that, and it looks like most of America is getting sick of it, too.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 16:59      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So back we go to WMD's - wasn't it enough that we found all that serrin gas and that the 2nd in command of Saddam's Air Force admitted that they moved much of their Weapons cache to Syria prior to the war enough? What could have happened to the tons of bad stuff that was inventoried after the first gulf war? This is the inventory that Saddam furnished to us - no one made it up.

They were there, we just can't figger out what he done did wiff 'em.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 17:10      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all due respect to Jace. I have no respect for leadership that puts soldiers lives at risk for reasons that don't really have anything to do with national security. You are correct - you're job and duty is to do as you are told. My job is to prevent our government from killing you needlessly.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 18:56      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
So back we go to WMD's - wasn't it enough that we found all that serrin gas and that the 2nd in command of Saddam's Air Force admitted that they moved much of their Weapons cache to Syria prior to the war enough? What could have happened to the tons of bad stuff that was inventoried after the first gulf war? This is the inventory that Saddam furnished to us - no one made it up.

They were there, we just can't figger out what he done did wiff 'em.

As I was writing earlier, there are still hard-core kooks who are willing to cling to the most flimsy hope that there were WMDs in Iraq. Thank you, Chesty for standing up.

The article you site quotes the #2 guy in Iraq's former Air Force. Boy, wasn't that a formidible fighting unit? And you trust this fellow over all our generals? In fact you trust him over President Bush who is also quoted in this article as saying there are no WMDs in Iraq? Hey scooter, I know Bush lies so much he makes Clinton look like a Boy Scout, but isn't this cutting off your nose to spite your face? Of course it is.

And in fact, isn't the paper you cite the very same one that once wrote the famed editorial, "Yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus"? Of course it is.

We know you're down on your luck, we've seen your profile photo, so we'll buy you two clues here.

1) No, Chesty, there really is NOT a Santa Claus.

AND

2) No, Chesty there really were not any WMDs in Iraq.

You may now crawl back into your Everclear-induced haze.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 00:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
So back we go to WMD's - wasn't it enough that we found all that serrin gas

You did?

Really?

I must have missed that story, and so has google, because I've just spent the last 5 minutes failing to find a single news story about "all that sarin gas" that was found.

Can you provide a link to a reputable source for your information?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 04:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, sarin gas was found in May of 2004, but it was in an artillery shell left over from Iraq's war with Syria that had been converted into an IED. Iraq 'fessed up to the UN about making those in the 1990.

Since the gas was found, that bit of information keeps getting passed around with and without the related bits about quantity and source, depending on how the person passing it along heard it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 06:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, google found that, but it never occured to me that a single badly degraded artillery shell (that failed to produce sarin gas) could be the source of "all that sarin gas" that Chesty was referring to.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 07:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just find it humourous that in the last 6 years:

- Americans have had their rights eroded from them via the patriot act.
- Americans have been wiretapped by their government.
- Terror reports suggest all this 'terror fighting' has actually made it worse.
- The vice-president has shot a man in the face.
- Poverty has gone up > 1%, while greedy, well-fed republicans are lining their pockets with your money.
- Thousands of Americans have been killed in a war which was apparently over Iraq's link to 9/11, as well as its WMDs, which Bush later admitted didn't exist.

You can't take anything on a plane, travelling is a pain in the ass, if you listen to the wrong songs in a cab while driving, you'll be detained and questioned, and your country's reputation has gone down the toilet.

Newsflash. The terrorists already won.

And there are still people who support the republicans.

Some people never cease to amaze me.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 08:06      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's about time we stopped banging on about who's to blame. We are where we are, regardless of who's to blame. The important question is what do we do next to try to get out of this terrible mess. The "war" on terror is certainly making no progress, even for those who don't believe that the occupation of Iraq is part of the problem, Afghanistan is in trouble again, and there's Iran, and in the long term China.

What brainache! With all that to deal with, no wonder we prefer to pick over the bones of the past.

P.S. This Radio 4 programme is very illuminating about US and Iran. Did you know that in the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq, Iran offered the US via Switzerland just about everything that the US wants from them now, and the offer was not even acknowledged. Hindsight again, but oh dear, that was not clever!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 18:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The "war" on terror is certainly making no progress, even for those who don't believe that the occupation of Iraq is part of the problem, Afghanistan is in trouble again, and there's Iran, and in the long term China.
And what about Darfur?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 19:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darfur is a tragedy, but not exactly a big player in the Mideast or general world stability.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 19:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No oil in Darfur.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture