homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » The New Heros of Green?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The New Heros of Green?
billygold
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 20477

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 00:47      Profile for billygold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some more for you to enjoy... By the way I'm not spamming I'm showing you something. I thought you might be interested. I'm not acting on anyones behalf just my own.
 -  -  -

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 00:59      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really interested thanks.

Slightly amused by the denigration of spin, although this is obviously some form of marketing itself. Hypocrisy is not a good advertising tactic.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 04:45      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Billy, first of all let me tell you we don't really like people who join the forums with the sole intention of spamming, whether they work for a commercial organisation, or a campaign group like yours. But since you are here could you please answer me a couple of questions.

Why in these campaigns do you single out Apple from the whole computer industry? It implies that other PC manufacturers do a better job, and correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that that is so. Indeed you could argue the opposite because Apple computers typically have a longer useful life than most Windows machines, and updates to the Mac OS usually work on older Macs. Why should Apple be held to a higher standard than the rest of the industry? I would be much more inclined to support you if your campaign was aimed at the entire industry rather than this one player, because even if Apple did everything you desire, I believe that the influence that would have on the PC industry as a whole would be minimal, because as you know Apple defines itself as being different from the other 95%, and that 95% likes to pretend that Apple is irrelevant to them, and wrong.

Your ad also implies that Apple makes a big deal about their green credentials, or at the very least has a reputation as a green company. I don't believe that that either case is true. I assume that the intention behind the ad is to try to rouse Apple users in particular to pressure the company to improve. But in fact the way you frame the ad, it looks more like a piece of flame bait to start one of those interminable, and intensely boring Mac vs PC flame wars, and because of this you alienate not just Mac users, but just about everyone except the trolls who enjoy such nonsense.

Just saying.....

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 05:45      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Cali said.

I would also point out that a lot of people really don't like spam, and by spamming on behalf of an organization, you are potentially damaging that organization. Like if I had to choose between supporting the WWF and Greenpeace right now, it would be the WWF--because Greenpeace spams. See what I'm saying? There are a lot of organizations out there competing for our attention and support; you don't want to give people a reason to cross you off their lists.

I also emailed Greenpeace to tell them what I thought of their new marketing campaign.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 06:11      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd just like to make myself crystal clear Billy boy, as to why your strip looks like a piece of Mac vs PC flame bait. In Mac vs PC flame wars, the assumption that the anti Apple people make is that all Mac users are "fanbois", which is shorthand for people, well suckers actually, with an uncritical almost religious reverence for all things Apple, and in particular for Steve Jobs, and that is very much the frame of reference for your strip. I don't know if you use a Mac yourself, but even if you do not, I hope you can understand why we find such a characterisation insulting, and why your strip is thus unlikely to galvanise even the most hard core yoghurt weavers amongst us to lobby Apple for higher standards.

I also think that you are picking the wrong target, if you want to make a real difference. As a Mac user, I can assure you that my next PC will almost certainly be one from Apple, however green or not they might be. If however I was in the market for a PC, I would have many different manufacturers to choose from, and if Greenpeace gave more publicity highlighting which PC companies have the best environmental credentials, you might influence a lot more purchasing decisions and be more likely to raise standards in the industry as a whole.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 07:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Greenpeace's budget so crappy that they couldn't even hire a real artist to make a comic? I've seen five year olds do better.

</troll>

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted August 06, 2008 09:26      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UMM WTF GREEPEACE! Seriously bad form. Well bad even. You've got some bollocks to imply Mac users are a cult/flock/religion. The average useful lifespan of a Mac is 5 years, most folks keep their macs longer than that. As an ACMT, your assumptions disgust me. Here, we refurbish and reuse and recycle macs. Not dump them into the landfill.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 14:24      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon Billy, show a little backbone! We have asked you some quite legitimate and reasonable questions. Since you have so rudely spammed us, surely it is not too much to ask for a reasoned response?

Or does that have to be passed to your PR department?

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 14:45      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm offended by this cartoon. It implies that Apple users don't recycle their computers. Do your homework Billy. Apple has a recycling program in place where they not only take back Apple computers but other brand computers as well so long as your buying a new Mac.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 15:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since he can't be bothered to reply I had a look at his link, and the site where the comic strip is hosted. Now to be fair he has made almost identical strips with the same punchline featuring Steve Ballmer and Michael Dell, so perhaps in this case Apple is not being singled out exclusively.

But the Greenpeace article he links to, mentions companies whose products end up in these dodgy dumps in Africa

quote:
Containers filled with old and often broken computers, monitors and TVs - from brands including Philips, Canon, Dell, Microsoft, Nokia, Siemens and Sony - arrive in Ghana from Germany, Korea, Switzerland and the Netherlands under the false label of “second-hand goods”.
Hmmm... I see Dell yes, and Microsoft, but no actual mention of Apple at all anywhere in the article.

So what actually is the basis of your complaint Billy?

This is the kind of brainless and baseless smearing that I expect only from the far right in America. And it just gives Greenpeace a reputation as irresponsible, publicity hungry idiots

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 15:33      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link to Greenpeace's ratings of electronics companies. Apple apparently ranked below Dell and HP and quite a few others in their environmentally friendliness scale.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 15:50      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks shroom, though I would point out that the terms of reference that Greenpeace uses, makes no allowance for the factors mentioned in previous posts relating to the longer useful life of most Macs compared to Windows PCs, which makes their conclusions slightly suspect.

Side note - Linux too, can of course breathe new life into old PC hardware, so perhaps the discussion is a lot more complex than the Greenpeace tables suggest.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 16:19      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TBH, Calli. I never have thought much of Greenpeace, their media campaigns nor the way they tend to perform their media spins.

Green is good. Greenpeace, not so much.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2008 01:32      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I'm against spamming, I can see the reasoning behind the ad campaign. The ad is aimed at the "common" Apple user, the person who just bought their 2nd gen iPhone despite already owning the 1st just because it was new and shiney and upgrades their iPod every time a new one comes out. It's not aimed at "us" (though I don't use a Mac myself!), who have the want to and the know-how to do something clever with an end-of-life machine such as install Linux. Cali, you make good suggestions on how a geekculture member would use an old Mac, but how many non-geeky Mac users out there share your views?

I can also kind of see the point in why a paid for "blogger" would post that particular advert here, being a Mac heavy forum. It's not an excuse spamming us though!

/me dons his asbestos coat...

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2008 03:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about political cartoons is...

...they're supposed to be funny.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2008 13:18      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Greenpeace ever actually spent any of the money they extorted out of companies keen to avoid their anti-whoever's got the best coverage advertising on actually protecting the environment, instead of just using it to raise more money and help the Japanese government keep whaling, I might be bothered.

As it is though, they rank up there with the Scientologists as being a corporation entirely based on scams and spin to grab money from people and companies in the public image.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture