homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » Anime noob

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anime noob
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 02, 2007 03:46      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like anime a hell of a lot, and for years I've been chipping into conversations with "Hey, anime, that's cool."

But I own precious little, and know about even less. The movies I've seen have been late-night (sometimes not-quite-hentai) films on cartoon channels, or borrowed from friends.

Anyone feel like giving a basic outline of good directors/movies/series to look out for?

Here in 'Nam dvds are cheap and plentiful and I'd like to stock up. [Smile] Gracias.

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 07:32      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, depends a lot on what you like, and what you are looking for. Series? My favorite is Ghost In The Shell, Stand Alone Complex (GITS:SAC for short), and I now own the complete set of the all-time-classic "Gatchaman" (animation is old, colors are old, individual episodes' plot lines are often weak, but good character development, overall entertaining, and the geek bonus of seeing what people considered futuristic back in the '70s. I loved seeing all those nuclear power plants and mega mechas, but computers still using tape data...)

As for movies, my best ones are Perfect Blue, Millenium Actess, and Miyazaki's works (Hayao - I have still to see his son's movie, but I heard that although it was as visually stunning because created by the same studio, the story wasn't as good).

quote:
Originally posted by Spoongirl:
Here in 'Nam dvds are cheap and plentiful and I'd like to stock up. [Smile] Gracias.

Aren't there a lot of pirated DVDs there? Depending on your moral stand, it might be a little harder than you think to find the right (legal) stuff. Oh! and you may want to check regions settings, just so you'll still be able to play the DVD you buy when you leave Viet Nam. (Although I know some - most? - DVD players can be switched between different region settings.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 17:04      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend got me started on FLCL. It's the only anime I've watched, but it's decent and amusing at times. It's only 6 episodes long too.

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 20:14      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ghost in the Shell: SAC is good. I liked that one too. Can't wait to get my hands on the 2nd series. :-) Currently watching Noir. I like the ones where the women are main characters with some authority or power. Bubblegum Crisis is another one. [Smile]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
reachums
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 06:01      Profile for reachums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can always go with the classics, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. if you want something a little longer Full Metal Alchemist is also very good. I agree Ghost in the Shell is also a great series. I also enjoyed Samurai Champloo, it's a little strange but it's made by the same people who made Cowboy Bebop, so if you end up like thing that, it's worth checking out. Fooly Cooly (FLCL) is super weird but really fun at the same time.

if you want to move into girlier anime, I recommend Fruits Basket, Pretear, and Chobits (Chobits is less girly than the other two)

Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 02:02      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blech. Spare me the simpering cutesyness of girly anime. [Wink]

There *are* a lot of shoddy dvds, but no-one decent has any problems with playing through some episodes in the shop, and most of them are all-region, so no worries there. Not copies, either, from what I can tell.

I like character-driven stuff. Preferably a series. A good plot is nice, but not as necessary as a good setting. Oh, and I'll happily sit through a terrible story with shoddy plot if it's stunning animation. Anything else to recommend? [Smile]

reachums
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 06:34      Profile for reachums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Samurai 7 isn't bad, Eureka Seven is also good, but don't watch the Dub! Watch it in Japanese! Serial Experiments Lain is a very odd anime, and very dark, but it's very interesting, you may need to watch it twice to really get what's happening.

The Full Metal Alchemist Movie is quite good, but you shouldn't watch it until you've finished the anime, and the Cowboy Bebop movie is good too, you can really watch that whenever, it doesn't have a particular point at which it occurs in the anime.

chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 04, 2007 10:39      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best I've seen lately is Gankutsuo. Black Lagoon was great too, but very violent and disturbing in places.
Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 13:48      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a Bleach fan, I highly recommend it...it takes a few episodes to get into it fully, but its great! [Smile]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 05, 2007 07:26      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys [Smile] Keep 'em coming!
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 07:30      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since no one mentioned it yet - Escaflowne and the Record of the Lodoss War are both pretty good.

The only downside is the theme music for Escaflowne makes me want to hurl.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 04:24      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can recommend Chris Swett's Anime review podcast TrackShun from iTunes or www.animetracker.com.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 09:19      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so if you could pick just one series or movie to buy, which one would it be? [Smile]

--------------------

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 09:28      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vote goes to Ghost In the Shell :-) Second choice is a toss-up between Noir and Bubblegum Crisis.
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 09:43      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really want to own something called Bubblegum Crisis. ^-^

--------------------

stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 16:51      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inuyasha's a pretty good Series.
But My favorite 2 are Hikaru No Go and Case Closed.
Hikaru No Go is about this kid who plays Go, and he finds this ghost who goes around with him helping him win.
Case Closed Is about a teenage Detective who gets given this poison that was supposed to kill him, but instead it turned him into a 7 year old boy.
Those are my favorite anime series.

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 22:29      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of great anime already listed here which I am quite fond of. You may also want to check out Rurouni Kenshin (and Samurai X if you don't mind a more violent addition to Kenshin's story), Witch Hunter Robin, Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz, Fushigi Yuugi, Please Teacher and Please Twins, Crono Crusade, Ranma 1/2 and anything by Miyazaki. (Miyazaki is amazing with his character development. I always seem to enjoy the anime from him and his Ghibli Studios.)

I have watched most of the anime listed previously and they are great choices. There is a lot of great taste in anime here at the GC!

BBK: GITS SAC is THE anime! If I get 2nd Gig, you are welcome to come and watch it with me! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
reachums
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 06:20      Profile for reachums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that if I could only buy one anime, it would be Cowboy Bebop. humor, action, violence, space travel, space cowboys. what more could I ask for?

if I could own two, the second one would be Fullmetal Alchemist. humor, action, violence, drama, soul in a piece of armor. totally sweet.

My husband would pick Trigun over every anime in the world.

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 06:21      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow:

BBK: GITS SAC is THE anime! If I get 2nd Gig, you are welcome to come and watch it with me! [Big Grin]

And what if I get 2nd Gig first? [Wink]

I've also got some Miyazaki as well! I think I picked up a title or 2 when I was in Japan.

Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 16:32      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:

That is up to you BBK, you can bring it over or we can meet up for a GC anime fest. [crazy]

quote:

I've also got some Miyazaki as well! I think I picked up a title or 2 when I was in Japan.

He has some great work. I have yet to find one I didn't like. Which two did you get? Japan sounds like a very cool place to visit. When is the next trip? [Wink]

reachums: Bebop and FMA are some great anime! I would love to get my mitts on them also.

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 19:52      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

That is up to you BBK, you can bring it over or we can meet up for a GC anime fest. [crazy]

quote:

He has some great work. I have yet to find one I didn't like. Which two did you get? Japan sounds like a very cool place to visit. When is the next trip? [Wink]

Darn. I just checked. It's Whisper of the Heart that I picked up in Japan.

I might actually go again in Nov/Dec. [Big Grin]

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 04:20      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Oh! oh! I'm in! Can I come too? [Big Grin]
( I have both GITS:SAC and both GITS movies, Serial Experiment Lain, Gatchaman, Perfect blue... well, go see the other thread for a more exhaustive list!)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huicho
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7905

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 16:22      Profile for Huicho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here seen Neon Genesis Evangelion or ( the Gospel of the New Begining). I saw in japanese with English subtitles. it's some of the most disturbing animation I have ever seen. It got under my skin and I didn't see the last one because I could not take anymore. I don't think I can recomend it, but then again I cannot saythat it wasn't good.
Posts: 35 | From: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 16:25      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huicho:
Has anyone here seen Neon Genesis Evangelion or ( the Gospel of the New Begining). I saw in japanese with English subtitles. it's some of the most disturbing animation I have ever seen. It got under my skin and I didn't see the last one because I could not take anymore. I don't think I can recomend it, but then again I cannot saythat it wasn't good.

I actually liked the series. It's a bit "dark" I suppose, but you kinda have to take it for what it is.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture