homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » Show Us Your Library!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Show Us Your Library!
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 10 posted March 14, 2007 09:31      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(*The last thread here was dead as of a month ago, and I didn't want to rez it, so . . . *)

I thought it might be fun for people to itemize their DVD and literary libraries for fun.

What do you own? What do you really wish you could own? What do you wish you could give away? Any recommendations for people new to anime/manga/hentai?

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 11:09      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In japanese animation, I own: (now updated)

Feature movies: Black Jack, Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Appleseed, Ghost In the Shell 1 & 2, a Transformer movie [Embarrassed] (it is really bad! [crazy] ), Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Blood, the last vampire, Metropolis, Royal Space Force - The wings of Honneamise, Black Magic M66 (below average), Princess Mononoke, Kai Doh Maru, Rayearth (mediocre adaptation of a so-so manga), X.

Series: Gatchaman (complete), GITS - Stand Alone Complex seasons 1 & 2, Serial Experiment Lain. Super Atragon (only first DVD, found cheap, not worth much more), ROD (is it really a serie?).

I would like to own My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Firefly, and a few more I have heard very good reviews of.

As of mangas/manhuas/etc., I have a lot (in French, though): Gunnm, Gunnm last order, Black Jack, Say Hello To Black Jack, Ray, Ghost In The Shell, Nanairo Inko, Avaler la terre (incomplete), Capitaine Albator, Galaxy Express 999, L'Anneau des Nibelugen, RG Veda, X (incomplete), Angelic Layer, Shin Shunkaden, Chobits, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, XXXholic, GunsmithCats, Complex, Inu Yasha, Hikaru No Go, Nana, Paradise Kiss, Gokinjo Monogatari, Agharta, Angel Dick, City Hunter, Angel Heart, Basara, Blood, the last vampire, Legend of Lemnear (another [Embarrassed] ), Hagane, Homunculus, Leviathan (incomplete), Ludwig II, Planètes, La rose de Versailles, Tigre et dragon, Sommelier, Subaru - danse vers les étoiles, Tensui - l'eau céleste, Tsuru princesse des mers,

I would like to find: Tokyo Babylon, Clover, Akira, Apple Seed, L'Art de la guerre, Cat's Eyes, Nausicaa de la Vallée du Vent, among others.

Want me to also list my european and US animes, along with my graphic novels?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 11:40      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see we have some overlap, Stereo. I've seen quite a few of the ones you list, or parts of them. I mostly have a number of Miyazaki movies (Spirited Away, Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, and Howl's Moving Castle), but I've also got Tokyo Godfathers; Steamboy; Metropolis; Now & Then, Here & There; Memories; and probably a couple of others I can't recall at the moment.

I do want to get Grave of the Fireflies, Millenium Actress, and the newer release of My Neighbor Totoro, as I have an old version that was released without the original Japanese, and the dubbing is mediocre.

I consider myself an all-around movie buff, rather than an anime fan, though.

If someone is curious about anime, I would definitely recommend they start with Hayao Miyazaki's work (Spirited Away is probably his best). It's the most accessible for someone unfamiliar with the style, and the recent Disney releases actually have quite good dubbing work, though the subtitled version is still usually better.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 14:38      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't have a library of Dvd's to really share I am one of those people who can watch a movie once, watch a movie twice if needed, but can't watch most movie's a third time. so i have no Dvd's i just rent

As for anime I only watch Naruto even though it may seem childish I just got addicted to it and just have to keep watching it but i am able to control my addiction and stick on to Naruto

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 16:50      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For an animation student, my animé collection sure is pretty lame. I'm a big Miyazaki fan (just got Nausicaä... it's awesome).

Practically everyone else on my course is way into Animé, and I really should start borrowing some of their DVDs, because if I find something I like, there's a whole lot more of it to find.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
reachums
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 06:22      Profile for reachums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got Samurai Champloo, Fruits Basket, the first season of Inuyasha, and I had Trigun but my friend stole it back from me.

I want Cowboy Bebop, desperately.

stevenback7: I watch Naruto too, I'm 23, don't feel bad. It's a fun anime. Especially now that it's FINALLY in part two. [Smile]

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 06:38      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grave of the Fireflies is pretty good but it's also quite sad. I just can't bring myself to watch it more than once. I think I would have to really be in the mood to watch it again. I think this anime really gives you an idea of what things were like in post WWII Japan. If you haven't seen it yet and plan to, have a box of kleenex handy.

I'll have to go through my collection to see what I have and don't have. The ex had some anime that went with him when he left so I might need to fill in a few gaps.

I also have some anime series on VHS which I might, when I'm feeling rich, trade in for DVDs.

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture