homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » First Animes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: First Animes
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 09:17      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically speaking, mine were Speed Racer, Thundercats, Pokemon, and Superbook. However, I was young and not quite clear on what anime really was. I also was not an avid fan of any of them. I just watched them because they were on and what else was I going to do with my life?

Then I saw... SAILOR MOON. Oh that spawned a whole new chapter in my life. It's sad how much that cartoon effected me really.

I was suddenly rushing to the computer and searching for fan sites on it as well as information behind the original creator, the series, and what the hell was up with the almost incestuous cousins on that show (and so my innocence died).

Not only did Sailor Moon open up several other anime/manga windows in my life but it was also the reason I discovered IRC and online role-playing, fanfictions, and downloading game-emulators, etc etc etc. It's also the reason I now know who Daft Punk is.

I don't see myself being as nearly geeky now if it hadn't been for that one show.

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 10:03      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a lot of anime-type shows on broadcast television, but the first anime I got into well enough to actually go out and buy the DVDs for was Cowboy Bebop. Then Lain.

I can't say anime led me into fandom and related geekiness, but I did have that experience with Star Wars. That's what pushed me toward online fandom. And look what's happened to me. Now that SW has got me, it won't let go.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 10:30      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimba The White Lion was my 1st exposure to Anime (although I did not know it was from Japan as a child), but Akira was my 1st actual exposure when it was 1st released on VHS. Another favorite is Grave of the Fireflies .
I have not watched much on TV as I am a dubbing snob and prefer to watch my foreign films in their native language. I did purchase Lain based on recommendations and it is one of my favorites. Also a big fan of Ghost in the Shell (movies & TV).

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 13:37      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voltron (spelling?) was my first anime... Didn't know it yet...

Now, I've got too many to follow, and it amazes people how well I remember these long plot archs and keep them striaght. I suppose all we anime geeks do, hence the "In episode 222, you see spock's ear fall off in the third scene...." type sterotypes.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 21:11      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never known things down to an episode but I do have the uncanny ability to quote almost directly everything that is said in any Family Guy episode and the basics of any conversation in anime's I see.

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 07:00      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first must have been UFO Robot Grandizer, followed by Captain Harlock. Then there was Battle of the Planets (the expurged version of Gatchaman - now I am happy to buy the original version in DVD, as it's much better!) Of course, there were many others on saturday mornings, but they were the most noticeables ones.

By the way, does anyone else think the Pokemon, Beyblade, Digimon and the like are some kind of response to the "no violence for our kids on TV" movements? Now kids don't watch people fighting by themselves, they watch them "fight-play" through substitutes (animals, spin-tops, digital beings, etc.) Better or worse, I couldn't tell, but the new ones seems less engrossing than the ones I used to watch. Or maybe I grew up.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 09:22      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Robotech was probably my first exposure to anime. Followed shortly thereafter by Voltron.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 09:20      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speed Racer, in the middle 1970s, and Ultraman around the same time. Ultraman was kaiju, not anime, but I don't think the distinction is very important here. [Smile] StarBlazers, Battle of the Planets, and then Robotech and Voltron (lions, of course!) much later.

I also remember watching a movie called "Galaxy Express 999" when I was young, and being very confused. It was a beautiful, serious movie, but it was a cartoon! But it was serious! But it was a cartoon!

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 12:58      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robotech and Voltron were my first two. I was a HUGE Robotech fan in my early teen years. Used to record shows off TV and watch them in sequence while painting my lead D&D miniatures. (Ral Partha baby!)

I'm still a huge anime fan...My son's first movie was My Neighbor Totoro (in Japanese, of course)!

I'm addicted to Bleach, Mai-Hime/Mai-Otome, and Tsubasa Chronicles right now, although I'm currently watching 5-6 others.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 13:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lain was my first, per the recommendation of a friend. That's a delicious mindfsck. [Smile]

Right now, I'm watching Fullmetal Alchemist - 'tis a great series, IMHO.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 14:45      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FMA is EXCELLENT. There is supposed to be a movie of some kind coming our way...eventually.

--------------------

MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 20:09      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of Full Metal Alchemist and the episode where they show you the kids doing the spell totally haunted me. Those children screeeeaaamiiiing... Eek!

However, other then that, I really haven't been able to get into it or watch it relgiously.

Same thing with Samurai Champloo. I think if I had the option to borrow the DVD set or something I could sit down and watch it though.

Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 22:50      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimba the White Lion and Speed Racer.

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 17:08      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frost:
Kimba the White Lion and Speed Racer.

Same here.
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 17:22      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brothers watched Speed Racer and I have some memories of it. However I must admit that one of the independent stations out of Cleveland in the 1980s aired StarBlazers. I arranged my graduate classes around it.
In the long run it isn't my favourite anime, but it was my first anime love. I loved that they would have whole episodes on topics like people phoning home, just before they got out of range or earth. I also liked the continious story line. American cartoons were one episode stories.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 20:02      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me stands up his ancient bones creaking and says in an old voice ...

Gigantor

I was about 3 years old and I remeber watching it on an old Black and White set. Also "Dark Shadows" and a really badly animated show based on different DC comic book characters neiher of which were anime but he we old people sometimes praddle on aimlessly ... like that time back in nineteen hundred and sixty six when /me nods off zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 20:10      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like the whole thing with the two worlds at the end of FMA... And I can't wait to see the movie.

So, who watches Subs and who watches Dubs?

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 07:17      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Subs all the way, but dubs when necessary, as when watching anime with kids who don't yet read fast enough, or with weird people who don't like reading subtitles.

I've heard some well-done English dubs, but the original-language voices and animation always line up best.

DVDs have it all over VHS cassettes in this regard, since you no longer have to choose the subtitled copy or the dubbed copy.

MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 12:09      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only Anime I really don't mind watching without subs is Inuyasha because the english version hasn't been tweaked very much if at all.

Other then that I prefer subtitles. Whenever we dub in voices we tend to try to make them cartoony or give characters really bad Brooklyn accents.

We also take advantages with the story lines to make them more "age appropriate". When will we learn not all cartoons are intended for children!!?

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 22:51      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I'm a long time reader but first time poster to the board. Decided to take a chance and dive in. [Smile]

My first anime encounter started with Sailor Moon and Cardcaptors. (The American version is terrible, BTW... The Japanese version is 100 times better.) At the time I didn't even know that it was anime, I just really liked it.

My favorites include: Inuyasha, FullMetal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin, Witch Hunter Robin, Furuba and there are a few others I like but don't follow religiously.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 07:13      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Subs definitely. I agree with MandysRad when it comes to the bad Brookly accents, I just don't enjoy watching an Anime where the Cyborgs sound like bookies.

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 13:52      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GameMaster: I agree--I wasn't super keen on the dual reality deal in FMA--especially since you were more or less left to figure out what was real and what wasn't on your own. But still one of the top two series I've seen.

MandysRad: Yeah...the first couple of shows where they try to raise Mom from the dead are pretty tough to watch--esp. if you have kids of your own. Later in the series they go back and discuss exactly how Alphonse was bound to the armor suit...and that's kind of cool.

Oh, and I'm a full-on Subs guys. I have most of the Miyazaki films both FanSubbed and Disney-ized and I switch to Japanese with English Subs whenever I can. Is is just me or do the English Dubs always make everyone more angry and more extreme than the original Japanese versions? I can barely watch Spirited Away with the English Dubs without killing my TV.

--------------------

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 11:59      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tirthas the Geek:
Is is just me or do the English Dubs always make everyone more angry and more extreme than the original Japanese versions?

It's the other way around for me. English dubs, even when done very well, always seem "flatter" than the original Japanese. Something about Japanese lends itself to rapid-fire hysterical chatter (it seems to crop up fairly often in stuff I've watched) more than English does.
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 15:04      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I know what you mean--and maybe I phrased poorly.

I agree that the English voice acting seems quite a bit more like they're reading rather than acting.

The Japanese voice-acting is definitely more "enthusiastic."

What I meant to say is that the emotion that seems to come across in the English voice acting is a sort of anger or an impatience. I'm thinking primarily of the Subbed versions of Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Ghost in the Shell--although it seemed more like boredom in GitS.

Haku's English voice actor in Spirited Away seemed incapable of anything but a snarl, Chihiro's English voice actor parents seemed to find her positively annoying. In the original Japanese, the relationships were much softer.

--------------------

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 08:04      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tirthas the Geek:
What I meant to say is that the emotion that seems to come across in the English voice acting is a sort of anger or an impatience....although it seemed more like boredom in GitS.

Oh, yeah. I agree with you here!

I can see the characters in GitS movie sounding bored. They're all very jaded, and bored with life except for when they're being shot at. They are a bit lighter in the manga, though. Particularly, I recall a scene where Batou connects "telepathically" with Kusanagi while she's, uh, preoccupied. The look on his face in the panel is priceless.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture