homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » Ghost In The Shell 2 - Innocence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ghost In The Shell 2 - Innocence
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 14:15      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ghost In The Shell 2 - Innocence was released on DVD this week.

I purchased a copy of it, and while I loved the film the DVD is somewhat disappointing. The subtitles are not standard subtitles but Closed Captions for the hearing impaired. So not only do you get the dialogue you also get things such as "helicopter approaches", "Dog whimpers", "Man sighs", "Computer beeping sounds" etc... This is somewhat annoying and distracting when you can hear these sounds. FYI there is also closed captioning on the DVD so to put the descriptive captions in with the subtitles was unnecessary.

I wish I had waited to purchase the DVD as I see Hollywood video is renting 5 copies of it (this is rare for Anime to have more than 1 copy for rent there). At least 4 of these will end up being sold for $8 or $10 in a few months. [ohwell]

Still a must have film! The visuals and music are astounding with a combination of traditional and CG animation.

I was also pleased that they did not go and dub the film! I still need to watch Ghost in the Shell - Stand alone complex the series but Cartoon network only shows the awful dubbed version with bad voice acting and no emotion.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 17:45      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
indeed both the movie and the tv show are top notch anime, subbed stand alone complex was quite good, thank god i dont watch cartoon network.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2004 07:27      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w00t! I'll get this DVD eventually. I'm thinking sooner rather than later.

I still watch the trailers I've downloaded- the artwork is gorgeous, for both GITS2 and Appleseed.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dauthúr
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3247

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 00:23      Profile for Dauthúr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you kiddies seen Standalone Complex? That's what got me into GITS, as I've only recently gotten into the Matrix-style anime and manga (I've been a Matrix fan for years, but not the anime). Innocence is supposed to be about .0003% incredible as SaC, from what I hear.

And that captioning sounds like a hassle.

--------------------
Take off every 'Sig'. You know what you doing

For great justice.

Posts: 18 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 06:28      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dauthúr:
Have any of you kiddies seen Standalone Complex? That's what got me into GITS, as I've only recently gotten into the Matrix-style anime and manga (I've been a Matrix fan for years, but not the anime). Innocence is supposed to be about .0003% incredible as SaC, from what I hear.

And that captioning sounds like a hassle.

Kiddies? I'm old enough to be your father!

If you have not watched it yet rent or buy "Serial Experiments: Lain"

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 13:30      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bibo, you are evil.

Now I have the opening theme to Standalone Complex going through my head!

I know it's dubbed, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. <shrug>

Lain rocks. One of my all time favorites.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 14:57      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the original version of the SAC theme, Yoko Kanno has made some really great anime openings.

--------------------
its been a while

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 16:43      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Lain was awsome... But, the end was a little disapointing to me...

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 09:26      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing beats Neon Genesis: Evangelion for endings so far! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 15:54      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full Metal Alchemist has overtaken every other anime ive seen ending/plot wise

--------------------
its been a while

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 12:13      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quite enjoying FMA... Can't wait for the game, heh, been waiting for almost two years (o.o)

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 14:00      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
Full Metal Alchemist has overtaken every other anime ive seen ending/plot wise

You're making me want spoiler info. [Smile]

Yoko Kanno changed the way people think about anime music, IMO. She took it to an entirely new and higher level.

teehee... my cell phone even rings with Tank and Real Folk Blues. [Big Grin]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gambler
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3402

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 17:53      Profile for Gambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.petitiononline.com/GitS2_I/petition.html
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 22:44      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gambler:
http://www.petitiononline.com/GitS2_I/petition.html

I just want the proper subtitles, Is there a petition just for subtitles?

English dubbing [thumbsdown]

Gambler
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3402

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 05:19      Profile for Gambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can create one. And I will sign it. I have nothing against decent subtitles; however, I liked GitS dubbing. I tried to watch movie in Japanese, and found that English voices fit characters better than Japanese do. IMO, with anime it's a bit different from the usual movies, since there are no “original” actors, and hence no “original” voices.
Gambler
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3402

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 15:51      Profile for Gambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DreamWorks released version of GitS2:I with repaired subtitles.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12475

Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2005 21:19      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news! Requested a replacement copy! Thanks for the link!
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 09:11      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me of my high school world history teacher who would always put the closed captioning on the movies we watched. It wasn't that bad until we started Quest For Fire. The captions consisted of "grunts" the whole movie.
Ghost in the Shell sounds great though, even with the frustrating subtitles. And for the record,not all dubbing is bad, think Cowboy Bebop.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 10:19      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would you guys recommend as an intro to anime, preferably something I don't have to buy or rent? I much prefer subtitles to dubbing in general, so I'm guessing I'd feel the same about anime.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 10:55      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about not buying or renting (unless you have a friend who can loan you DVDs) but I started out on Hellsing and Princess Mononoke.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2005 21:52      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AKIRA

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture