homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » Hey do you know any good mangas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey do you know any good mangas?
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 16, 2004 11:22      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already have all the battle royales(so far) and cowboy beebops.

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ricegirl
Mini Geek
Member # 2516

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2004 12:04      Profile for Ricegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Megatokyo www.megatokyo.com, and Ranma (which I borrow from Dogbert)they are both really good and I highly recommend both of them.. hope you like them [Smile]

--------------------
Pride can break a man right down from iron, twist him round and tatter up a soul.

Posts: 84 | From: U.K | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dogbert
Mini Geek
Member # 2513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2004 10:36      Profile for Dogbert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errant story is pretty good. The artist inks them really well. Ummm, love hina is pretty good too, if you are into all that 'girls beat up the guys thing'
But yea, again megatokyo is good.
Luv Dogbert

--------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Posts: 69 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kettle
Geek
Member # 2514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2004 12:26      Profile for Kettle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbert:
Errant story is pretty good. The artist inks them really well. Ummm, love hina is pretty good too, if you are into all that 'girls beat up the guys thing'
But yea, again megatokyo is good.
Luv Dogbert

I like Love Hina for a different reason...
Posts: 233 | From: Bottom of Little Island called Britain | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2004 13:06      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best is Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita - described as cyberpunk, it's ultraviolent, lot of gore, yet very human.

I have a soft spot for Possession Tracer (no idea if available in English). Although the story is very into metapsychism, both the character's drawing and interaction are realists. This is not a funny story, there's no SD, just a bunch of people from a [slightly alternative universe] police station who learn to live and work together.

From Clamp, my best yet is Chobits, but it has many side references to Angelic Layer (pretty good too, but more 'childish').

I also like Hikaru No Go and Nana, and regularly buy Inu Yasha (mainly for its depiction of japanese demonology) and Basara (a nice 'live up to your destiny' story in a bad world). Oh, and Agharta deserves a special mention, though the story is still fuzzy - not for all audience, though.

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2004 18:51      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i particularly like Blade of the Immortal, its a samurai manga that is historical fiction mixed in with the traditional storyline of revenge and a little bit of fantasy. a good deal is released in the US by Darkhorse Comics, its a darker than kenshin with not as many whimsical characters. the story follows 3 main characters. Anotsu, head of the Itto-ryu a kendo dojo that is destroying other dojos and gaining in political power. Rin, daughter of the sensei of one of the dojos destroyed by Anotsu and Manji, a master swordsman who has killed 100 men, a witch cursed him with eternal life, no matter how badly he is cut up he will always regenerate and be as good as new. the character development for each of them is good and throughout the story many other characters come into and out of the story.

also read Azumanga Daioh (2 volumes in the US, funny anime/manga following the lives of 6 girls in high school, the anime was funnier and is coming to the US soon.)

try reading an issue of Shonen Jump, there are a few good manga in there as well, 1 or 2 volumes of the manga in there are available as well (One Piece, Naruto, Shaman King, and the newest one Hikaru no Go are all good)

--resident anime otaku signing out to do his Civics Project

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 28, 2004 17:51      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey I checked out all the manga you guys listed.
They only had Azumanga Daioh which I bought and read the beginning of in the car and as for errant story and mega toyko I will definatly find time to read those they both look really good.Thanks again guys

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kettle
Geek
Member # 2514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2004 13:38      Profile for Kettle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say I found megatokyo started to drap after chapter 0. But thats just my opinion.

--------------------
Web Comic
Kesou Online Comic/Manga
80% fini.

Posts: 233 | From: Bottom of Little Island called Britain | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2004 13:47      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a manga some time ago that I regret not buying. Now I can't recall the title. It was about a vampire or other sort of immortal demon who has to fight to save the world (as usual) but for some reason he and his compatriots are fighting the Vatican. Ring any bells? It was published in English.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2004 18:10      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Priest perhaps for the vampire one

azumanga is very erratic, watch the anime. it makes a lot easier to understand. i infact watched the anime first. and i found all the mangas erraticness more amusing

One Piece and the other stuff should be there, its the most common manga now that Viz owns most titles

--------------------
its been a while

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2004 19:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
I saw a manga some time ago that I regret not buying. Now I can't recall the title. It was about a vampire or other sort of immortal demon who has to fight to save the world (as usual) but for some reason he and his compatriots are fighting the Vatican. Ring any bells? It was published in English.

Cool - reminds me of the theme of the "Hellsing" series. I really want to pick up a copy of that on DVD sometime. That, or I really wish Netflix would get it (and I did fill in a request).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aberrantgeek
Geek
Member # 2336

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2004 19:48      Profile for aberrantgeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FLCL its only two books long if you have a short attention span and its extremely funny if you have a sense of humor. If you dont have a sense of humor I feel sorry for you and I hope that you have some other redeeming qualities such as brains, beauty, brawn, or breasts. I dont really consider Megatokyo to be a Manga even though it is drawn in manga format. I think of it as an online comic, which it is. Since Manga is literally japanese for comic book I think reading megatokyo only counts if you bought the book.

--------------------
"Everyone's life sucks" -Jerry Seinfield

AIM SN=aberrantgeek

Posts: 106 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kettle
Geek
Member # 2514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2004 03:37      Profile for Kettle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Taken from just above the Megatokyo logo and colour picture of Piro and Largo
Online Comic/Manga, Megatoyko

BTW, what does 'doujinshi' mean?

--------------------
Web Comic
Kesou Online Comic/Manga
80% fini.

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2004 06:54      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried Akira? It is older, but I think a classic post apocalyptic story. Elfquest is good too. It's not manga, but manga/fanatsy like.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2004 18:53      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aberrantgeek:
FLCL its only two books long if you have a short attention span and its extremely funny if you have a sense of humor. If you dont have a sense of humor I feel sorry for you and I hope that you have some other redeeming qualities such as brains, beauty, brawn, or breasts. I dont really consider Megatokyo to be a Manga even though it is drawn in manga format. I think of it as an online comic, which it is. Since Manga is literally japanese for comic book I think reading megatokyo only counts if you bought the book.

True,but if you really look at it it's not in most manga style it's similar but still good.Besides for the time being I am fairly low on cash so it being online saves me some money.

--------------------

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 01:17      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Have you tried Akira? It is older, but I think a classic post apocalyptic story.

I always thought the Akira anime was better than the manga -- I thought the layouts were a bit confusing, although the manga did explain a lot of things that had me going "huh?" while watching the movie.

My favorites lately have been El Hazard (the manga), which is only 3 books, so not too much of a drain on the $$$, and Slayers. I really enjoyed the Slayers anime, so when I found the manga at Waldenbooks I had to pick it up. The drawback is that there are only two volumes out right now (that I can find), so the story is kind of left hanging. [Frown]

Oh My Goddess! is good if you like silly Romantic Comedies, and Ranma is an absolute classic. Gosh, there are just too many to recommend!

My advice would be to just go to Waldenbooks (which has a great manga section, weirdly enough) and flip through the books until you find one you like. Then note its title or ISBN #, and order it from your favorite online bookstore. [Big Grin]

--Flash

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 03:23      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the borders around here has a HUGE selection of manga, so do the same thing as flashfire said except with borders as well

--------------------
its been a while

Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2004 22:16      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
the borders around here has a HUGE selection of manga, so do the same thing as flashfire said except with borders as well

Yeah the borders here is a drive to get though I got my other manga at B.Daltons

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture