homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » After Y2K... comments on the comic!   » Idea

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Idea
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 09:40      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so I was looking at CNN.com (Big suprise) and came across this Story And in this story they want to kill off evil prarie dogs. But it mentions that they have a natural preditor the really cool Black footed Ferret. Maybe an idea for the AY2K comic [Wink]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 20, 2004 14:27      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could try and mate them with lemmings..?

Its just a suggestion [Razz] [crazy]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 18:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I remember having read somewhere that the lemming syndrome is actually an urban legend. Sheep do the follow-blindly thing quite frequently, right, Spungo?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 19:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Hmm, I remember having read somewhere that the lemming syndrome is actually an urban legend. Sheep do the follow-blindly thing quite frequently, right, Spungo?

I'm not Spungo (well, unless he's one of the collective), but having first hand experience with sheep, they do just follow what all the others are doing.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2004 21:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I read a thing about this recently, it's a myth, but one arising from an interesting predator/prey thing.

Basically, lemmings are the main prey for critter X (I disremember what) which has a relatively slow (compared to lemmings) reproductive cycle.

So, when lemming numbers are on the increase, the number of predators lags behind, allowing a huge increase in the number of lemmings.

Eventually, the number of predators increases to match the vastly increased food supply, and the population of lemmings crashes, leading humans to observe that all the lemmings have gone away, and giving rise to the 'cliff' legend.

With most of their food supply gone, the population of predators crashes, which allows the few remaining lemmings to start increasing their numbers...... (repeat for i=1 to infinity)

Given the above, you'd expect both lemmings and the predators are incredibly in-bred, as they pass through a population bottle-neck every few years. Sure enough, both species are very uniform genetically.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2004 08:41      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Basically, lemmings are the main prey for critter X (I disremember what) which has a relatively slow (compared to lemmings) reproductive cycle.

The particular animal you disremember is the stoat.

{edit: hmm ubb doesn't want to embed the url for some reason} http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=stoats&btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky
 -

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 12:33      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

I read a thing about this recently, it's a myth, but one arising from an interesting predator/prey thing.

So, when lemming numbers are on the increase, the number of predators lags behind, allowing a huge increase in the number of lemmings.

Eventually, the number of predators increases to match the vastly increased food supply, and the population of lemmings crashes, leading humans to observe that all the lemmings have gone away, and giving rise to the 'cliff' legend.

With most of their food supply gone, the population of predators crashes, which allows the few remaining lemmings to start increasing their numbers...... (repeat for i=1 to infinity)

Given the above, you'd expect both lemmings and the predators are incredibly in-bred, as they pass through a population bottle-neck every few years. Sure enough, both species are very

uniform genetically.

This was very interesting. I felt like I was in an economics class learning about the laws of supply and demand. [Smile]

Danimal

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 03:52      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Techno Talking Ferrets anyone?

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 05:10      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The particular animal you disremember is the stoat.
Whats the difference between a weasel and a stoat?

A weasel is weasally wecognised, but a stoat's stoatally different.

ThankyouverymuchIllbehereallweektrytheveal.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 01, 2004 22:24      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one here with an urge to hurt you? [shake head]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 03:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop badgering him !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Mister Boo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 02, 2004 04:57      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, don't be such a Shrew! [Wink]

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 05:58      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still itching to find out what happens in AY2K. And I'm not trying to weasel another comic out of the fantabulous duo.

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 02, 2004 08:59      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is we'll try our best to get another AY2K episode soon. In a perfect world that's all we'd do all day... instead we have to burrow under a ton of other tasks. [Razz]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 09:19      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
All I can say is we'll try our best to get another AY2K episode soon. In a perfect world that's all we'd do all day... instead we have to burrow under a ton of other tasks. [Razz]

I bet people here would be willing to volenteer. I don't do much at work any way.

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 10:33      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

You should stop being dogged about being buried under mounds of work. I'm sure you'll tunnel your way out soon. So everyone should stop their barking. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 14:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will you guys stop rabbiting on about AY2k ?

(or have I just confused you all with a bit of down-under slang?)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture