homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Welcome renewbies (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Welcome renewbies
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 21:28      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats very true, I have seen this type of thing done by setting up a novel netware network up on the inside so that the difference in protocols creates a sort of firewall. But I really don't see much of a threat to my personal network. I have a hardware and software firewall, and most of my computers are Linux. :-D

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 04:50      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Venture...not trying to change the topic..but I lived in North Charleston for ten years. it was my favorite place to live, and would move back in a skinny minute. Small world:)

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 05:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GG, it seems that you have baited the hook and dangling it in the water. However Venture has said, he has a GF.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 05:19      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan...I was just welcoming the newbie. I have sworn off men, and only date men I meet in real life. Tsk Tsk...
Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 05:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ This isn't real life? Damn.

____ I personelly think that an electric blanket is a very good bed warmer, and it doesn't get upset if you stay out late, or don't come home. It doesn't make demands on your time or life style.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 05:37      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan..I think you are on to something. *goes to the store to buy an electric blanket*
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 06:08      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
__I personelly think that an electric blanket is a very good bed warmer, and it doesn't get upset if you stay out late, or don't come home. It doesn't make demands on your time or life style.

YES BUT, try taking a shower with an electric blanket, or traveling the world (wrong plugs) or asking your electric blanket to get you a cold one from the fridge.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 08:38      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
... or asking your electric blanket to get you a cold one from the fridge.

I would get exactly the same kind of luck, without the beating.

Electric blanket...

Could become a new Japanese fetish, eh?

Are we going to see some 30 year old male marrying his pink blankie in the near future?

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 09:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well with an Electric Blanket, get one with dual controls, then it could be hot and cold at the same time.....

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 11:36      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Venture...not trying to change the topic..but I lived in North Charleston for ten years. it was my favorite place to live, and would move back in a skinny minute. Small world:)

Wow, really? small world indeed! I am actually doing everything I can do get out of here! hehe It is a beautiful place and the weather is nice, but thats about it. I grew up in Washington DC and I very much prefer the city life as well as being surrounded by people that have some sort of intellect. Thanks for the welcome goddess!

quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ GG, it seems that you have baited the hook and dangling it in the water. However Venture has said, he has a GF.

... and actually no gf here, I have been avoiding that scenario while in school, as it makes for a major distraction. :-D

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 14:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
with an Electric Blanket, get one with dual controls, then it could be hot and cold at the same time.....

That's the Katy Perry model, right?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 16:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Venture, Sorry bout that, I seemed to get you confused with Sprocket. Must have had brain gas.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2010 01:46      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
5498 / 125 = 44.34

But that doesn't include the pre-UBB days. Also, I just realized I've been on this forum for over ten years... over a quarter of my life, in fact. [Eek!]

65/125 = 0.52. [Smile]

But of course, that doesn't include the pre-ubb days for me either...

Posts: 71 | From: UmeŚ, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2010 07:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maswan wrote:
65/125 = 0.52. [Smile]

I think that makes you the winner of Ashitaka's game.

You win one (1) can of pork brains in milk gravy which includes a lifetime supply of cholesterol!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2010 13:06      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I declare hum the winner, but I was hoping more lurkers were out there, but maybe pork brains isn't enough to lure them out of the shadows.

oh BTW, this'll be my last post for a while, i'm heading off to the states for a while and will be without an internet connection for the next 19 days or so.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2010 17:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, Please never prewarn, the bad people will know that your place is ASHLESS, tell us afterwards not before. So you stay put and then leave.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 01:54      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo! Did I scare you? Huh? Huh? [Big Grin]
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 06:48      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/ me waves!

Hi Yaya. Good to see you around these parts again.

Now how's about a "this is the kinda hell I've been raisin'" post?

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 08:58      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG it's YaYa!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 08:02      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
I see lots of changes since I've been here. MRS Xanthine??? Wow! Perhaps someone can fill me in on all the other pertinent news from the oldtimers like me?

Well I'm engaged and now have a date: 11/9/10. I'm currently sitting in a hotel in Gaithersburg, MD after an interview that I think went pretty well, so hopefully I'll soon be working in the USA.
Wow! I never knew you had any interest in working in the US-any particular reason, or is it just a great job?!

So, we're contributing to the cosmic balance by swapping sides of the pond, huh? How funny!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 12:19      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No particular urge to work in the US, but it's a nice job. I'm still waiting to hear how I got on, so the cosmic alignment is still off.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted June 20, 2010 12:01      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, again. I'm Tominfla. I haven't been in the forums since 2007, but I've been a Superfan since then, quietly helping out on a monthly basis. I'm really glad to see that things are still jumping here at Geek Culture.

One of the reasons I haven't been on is that I'm not much of a forum browser. Another reason is that I was sucked into an unassuming little game called World of Warcraft. I used to play every night and it kind of crowded out my other social venues. Now, I don't play as often but I am still very active. Other things in life take up the slack, like keeping a house and all that goes with it.

Recently I had to restart my Superfan subscription with Paypal (it cancelled for some reason), and I just wanted to let the bosses know I wasn't deserting. I thought, since I am here, I might as well take another look around. I see some familiar names!

-- T

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2010 12:18      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reading this thread backwards and at the beginning is a contest to see who has the lowest post score based on posts/months since registration.

Mine is low but perhaps not low enough. It's 242 posts divided by 42 months (I registered Jan. 1 2007).

242/42 = 5.76

Also, I noticed my signature is still there. Marvin Martian??? Yes, he's cool, but I should come up with something new.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2010 12:44      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey! Tamiflu! erm. uh. Tominfla!

Welcome back, stick around! [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 16:45      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still poke around here once in a great while. Many of the old folks have moved on to things less virtual... but me... I'm liking the virtual at the moment...

AUGH!! I just noticed that I registered in Oct of 2001... Whoa a way a no a whoa... I've been here almost 10 years... augh a way a whoa a way a no a way a whoa a...

Sorry... getting dizzy...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture