homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » The Book of Names, or, The Meaning Behind Your Screen Name (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Book of Names, or, The Meaning Behind Your Screen Name
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2010 02:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ On my Grand Parents farm the owls would come out of the woods and perch along the edge of the roof. Then we would put the farm dogs in the barn. The barns rats would flee, (no offense Xan) and the OWLS would drop and swoop on them, My Uncle called it feeding the Owls.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2010 03:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
_______ owls are neat.

Yeah, they're a hoot.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2010 05:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
_______ owls are neat.

Yeah, they're a hoot.
Wow, you have a real talont for owl puns.
Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2010 06:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ The Rat said to the OWL, you aren't going to poop me are you?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 31, 2010 06:42      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lave a real bad feeling that this conversation will quickly turn into a conversation about hooters,( you know, the hooters with wings) not that ther is any thing wrong with hooters, hooters being such soft, shapely, curvy, pouting things. Just remeber they are wild things and you aren't allowed to just touch them.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2010 06:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ A friend had his Cat attacked by a Hooter.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2010 14:50      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you have to beak careful, hooters are vicious.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 09:51      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Mine is based on the theory that socks in the dryer are may either be intact socks or lint. It's only when you count them that they stay as one or the other.

Ha, This made me laugh! I want the shirt on thinkgeek.com, says on one side "schrodinger's cat is dead" and then on the back side says that its alive. But then you get too many people bugging to explain what it means. My Nick is not so clever. Its only a reference to the animated series "The Venture Bros."

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 23:27      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Reprinted from a note I have on Facebook describing the origin of my name)

When I was in college, I had an association with a certain doctor who used file codes for people consisting of the first two letters of their first name and the first two letters of their last name. Hence, "ERic BOwersox" -> "ERBO." I liked it so much, as it was short, easily pronounceable ("UR-boh" is how it's usually pronounced, though some have pronounced it "AIR-boh"), and memorable, that I co-opted the code as a login name on various school computers. Gradually, it became a nickname; even one of my own brothers calls me that all the time.

I tend to use "Erbo" for a name on various Internet sites (including this one); where I can't use that, I will often use "obreerbo", which is just the palindromized version of "erbo" (it reads the same backwards and forwards). Credit Harry Pike of Electric Minds for coining that variant; his own user name, "maddog," is easily palindromized to form "goddammaddog," which actually makes more sense. I also use "ErboColo" on a couple of services, including Xbox Live; that just expands into "Erbo from Colorado."

When I joined Second Life in May 2006, I could choose my avatar's own first name, but its last name had to be picked off a list of available names. I used "Erbo" as the first name and picked "Evans" from the list of last names, for its Colorado connections. (John Evans was governor of Colorado Territory from 1862 to 1865, and Mount Evans, one of Colorado's "fourteeners," is named after him. Also, Evans Avenue in Denver runs near where I live; my Second Life blog name, "Evans Avenue Exit," reflects this.) I reused the name "Erbo Evans" for my EVE Online character as well.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2011 04:59      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my case, it's all about the sauce.

But most of you knew that already.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 03, 2011 05:22      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Necropost, GarlicGuy! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
steampunkgrrrl
Geek Larva
Member # 38567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 08:07      Profile for steampunkgrrrl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foist off, my real name is Athena. But it said that name was taken, so I used my superhero identity. [Razz]

Steampunkgrrrl. I like Steampunk, and the "grrrl" part is an homage to the "Riotgrrrl" movement.

RiotGrrrl - Wikipedia

Posts: 25 | From: Northwest Ohio | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2011 01:57      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:

What?

It was less than a year, by at least a couple of days. [Razz]

Don't make me dredge up the "Men of GC Calendar" thread... [Eek!]

-
gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2011 04:39      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:

What?

It was less than a year, by at least a couple of days. [Razz]

Don't make me dredge up the "Men of GC Calendar" thread... [Eek!]

-
gg

Nooooooo, anything but that! [Eek!]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture