homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » The Book of Names, or, The Meaning Behind Your Screen Name (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Book of Names, or, The Meaning Behind Your Screen Name
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 11:11      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Rhonwyyn since I first got an AIM account, I think. I'm not sure. I also use danteElphin on occasion, but that usually comes out looking like danteelphin, which people abbreviated as danteel, so I began using Rhonwyyn more steadily.

I was in a big Celtic-appreciation part of my life when I composed both names. Elphin ap Gwyddno Garanhir was the adoptive father of Taliesin, who legend says taught Merlin all he knew. Dante was the nickname I had in high school. Rhonwyyn was kind of a cross between Rhiannon and Bronwynn, two women in Celtic lore. I've actually come across another woman using the spelling I do, but online searches usually turn up mostly me.

So, why did you choose your screen name? What does it mean?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 13:14      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've posted this before, but seeing as you asked...... [Wink]

Grummash was the half-Orc chaotic-neutral thief that I played back in teenage Dungeons & Dragons days. Chaotic-Neutral is soooo easy to play! [Big Grin]

Anyway - Grummash, as drawn by a very talented friend, can be seen below, hiding between the Ranger and the Dwarf.

-

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 16:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked the screen name Steen based on the main character from the old BBC television series "Avengers" (which I remember fondly because of Emma Peel's err... Talent and Acting). Unfortunately, I misremembered the name which was actually Steed. When I discovered my mistake, I briefly considered changing my screen name to Steed, but that sounded stupid, so Steen it was.

Later, I wanted an alternate AIM name for when I was in a lousy mood, but still wanted to be able to talk to my closest friends, thus GrumpySteen was born.

Later still, I wanted to have a more unique screen name so that I was more easily found online via search engine, so I started using GrumpySteen everywhere.

Kinda dull, I guess, since my name doesn't have any deep significant meaning. I do tend to be a bit grumpy, though, so the name suits me as well as any would.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 18:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was born on the 21st of June at Callanais on the small stone at the far right of this picture after my parents had car trouble on the way to visit my Uncle Alex in Stornoway. †

'Druid' seemed appropriate.

† - sometimes I tell lies.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 19:01      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The screen name is a mashing together of two terms. I was trying to obtain an MCSE in techie school, but was a mac guy... macmcseboy was born also because my alternate screenames that i use were becoming harder to use. The one I have now is still very original. It also still reflects what I do as a job.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 22:34      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka is the hero of the movie Princess Mononoke. Really a relaxed charachter.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2010 03:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ AH YESS

____There are about one hundred and thirty people that know me by my given+screen name. The Nickname of "Mo" was used by most of my co-workers as they had trouble with my given name. Then our shop got into NC (Numerical Machining) as the shop became populated with more and more NC machines, I was becomeing the most proficient at trouble shooting programs and tool paths. Then one afternoon (lunch) on Payday the toolroom loudmouth drunk came in and seeing me with a programing manual open yelled out "Look TheMoMan is reading the manual", it stuck at work for the next fifteen years. If only I had remembered the correct G-code for a left helix I would not have had to look up that command. [Geek]

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2010 08:04      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7 year old GC link.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2010 08:44      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is "The Story of Bibo"
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 07:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I made up when admiring the shoddy electrical work that had been done in the 3 year old house I was living in.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 08:10      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine grew out of a comment my brothers said about me, having me reply that I would think in stereo, while having only one mouth, the ideas turned out garbled out when spoken in mono... [Wink] (That was many years ago, and there were not many people on the Internet then, so I was almost unique, but I found out others stole my nick later... [Mad] ... [crazy] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 08:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parent molecule for my favorite stimulants. The lab rat thing was a label/title assigned to me by my peers while I was an undergrad. It's still true too.

**raises a cup of joe

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 18:46      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is based on the theory that socks in the dryer are may either be intact socks or lint. It's only when you count them that they stay as one or the other.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted February 21, 2010 15:34      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Parent molecule for my favorite stimulants. The lab rat thing was a label/title assigned to me by my peers while I was an undergrad. It's still true too.

**raises a cup of joe

And I have seen the perfect jewelry for you! https://makersmarket.com/sellers/45-raven

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2010 15:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo, that's a real find!! I really want the endorphin choker, customized to fit my fat neck, of course, but at $640 starting price? Ouch! Can't afford it. [Frown] But wow. Gorgeous!

Hmm... maybe they need to get with that Science Barbie and give the doll some great jewelry? [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2010 19:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

**raises a cup of joe

And I have seen the perfect jewelry for you! https://makersmarket.com/sellers/45-raven
[Applause] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2010 21:02      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's my name.

--------------------
Peace,
CW

guitar, bass, percussion, Macintosh.
http://www.cwsmith.fm

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sludgedragon
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8746

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2010 10:32      Profile for Sludgedragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess it was about 10 years ago, getting ready to dump AOL for good, so I wanted a webmail address that would still work after the changeover. I decided Netscape.net was the way to go but every screen name I tried was taken. I didn't want one of those "whoever3695" kind of names. My then 11-year-old suggested "Sludgedragon" and I liked it. It had the right combination of SF/fantasy and weirdness. I have continued using it because I like it and I still have never had to add any numbrs to it! Netscape was engulfed by AOL later, like a huge nasty amoeba, and I became unable to access my Netscape mail with Netscape! Pi$$ed me off. Now I mostly use Firefox or Camino, still use Navigator 9 from time to time. But that's a whole rant on its own!
Posts: 10 | From: Oregon USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2010 16:19      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when I was 18, I was a... pretentious goth. I was also a bit of a geek, and studying psychology in the UK. In psych, you have to learn your way around stats, which I enjoyed. There's a statistical test called ANOVA. I don't claim to fully know what the details, but it's apparently useful for analysing more than 2 datasets; I just thought it sounded cool.

I was also reading Philip K Dick and Roger Zelazny's Deus Ir. Didn't find it fantastic, but again, I liked the name; especially because of the symbol (I still sometimes sign off just using the '' symbol).

Now, back to the pretentious goth bit. There was a Marilyn Manson song called Posthuman, with the line "God is just a statistic".

Let's put that together. In my mind, at the time, if God is just a statistic, then you can test God's statistical significance. I liked ANOVA, rather than a plain old t-test or Chi-squared. So, I initially thought ANOVA(Deus). But I thought it looked ugly, and a lot of fora at the time didn't really like parentheses - so Anovadeus. But being a budding UNIX geek, and a former child of DOS, I liked 8 characters for a username; I also wanted to feminise the name, and also given that the Irish for God is 'Da', I figured to turn Deus to Dea. And being a further UNIX geek, it all had to be lowercase; I've since relented on that.

I used it in a pretentious music forum that no longer exists.

Then I switched colleges and joined a computer society offering unix accounts - I couldn't think of a good name so, on a whim, I resurrected a one-shot name. I've used it ever since.

And if that doesn't help you pronounce it, it's Ann-Oh-Va-Day-Ah. [Big Grin]

Aoife

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2010 20:06      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GameMaster is from table top roll playing games, picked it an eon ago. Since I was last seen around these parts I've started using jastreich which is my name: J. A. Streich.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ladyofevilness
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 30873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2010 11:56      Profile for ladyofevilness   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been Ladyofevilness since 98. I just wanted something that didn't have any number or symbols in it and something ironic. It just kind of stuck.
Posts: 3 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2010 13:06      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ladyofevilness:
I have been Ladyofevilness since 98. I just wanted something that didn't have any number or symbols in it and something ironic. It just kind of stuck.

Lucrezia Mongfish? Is that really you? [Big Grin]

(Sorry, kind of an inside joke, but I just couldn't help it. For mor explanation, see here: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php and read from the start, or see http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20041206 http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20051230 http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060920 and many other fun-filled pages.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Bellpepper15
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 31267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2010 09:42      Profile for Bellpepper15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my name is from one of my toons on world of warcraft and my favorite number is 15 i really like ornithology preferably owls
Posts: 1 | From: Baxter,TN | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2010 10:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______ owls are neat.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2010 23:14      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smells most fOwl....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture