homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Greetings!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greetings!
Umberchild
Newbie Larva
Member # 29477

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2009 13:29      Profile for Umberchild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, just joined. I was originally just lurking, but the geekosity of the people on this board charmed me.

I'm Umber and am 17. I like all sorts of music and am a religious reader. Also, any ex or current Academic Decathletes on here?

--------------------
I see what other do not see, I speak in languages others not know, I am I.

Posts: 8 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2009 14:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Umberchild, TheMoMan here, I appear to be the second oldest oldfart here. I have been known to get into flame wars, mostly about dying for not so worthwhile causes. I am OS agnostic except I hate WinBlows, if you make a mes in the lunch room clean up after yourself, others here will give you sage advise set back and enjoy and please post on topics that you feel pasion for.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2009 15:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Umberchild,

there's coffee in the pot, cake in the cupboard, and cheap Romanian alcohol-free-whisky-substitute on the top shelf behind the large pile of old Dr Dobbs magazines.

btw - 'singlehandedly' is very hard to type singlehandedly. </arm-in-a-cast-geek>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Umberchild
Newbie Larva
Member # 29477

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2009 17:15      Profile for Umberchild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to meet you guys! You'll get sick of me sharing my opinion soon enough, i've got a lot to say when people give me an ear to say it in.

Tee hee, wordplay.I'll be taking some of that cake.

--------------------

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2009 18:55      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Umber, welcome to the forums. I was never in an academic decathlon but I did do academic challenge (quiz bowl) back in high school. (Crap that's becoming a while ago now) Anyway, welcome, and have fun.
Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 22, 2009 19:22      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome fellow geek! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 22, 2009 21:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Umberchild!
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2009 00:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome,

I like debate, as long as it is debate and there is a thought process going on Ideas should be tested; not ones insult vocabulary.

-Ash

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2009 11:02      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did Academic Decathlon once. It was okay, but I preferred Academic Olympics.

This may or may not be related to the fact that I got more medals in the latter. [Razz]

Welcome!

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2009 12:22      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! Post early, post often. Behave and wachout for the occasional trolls. Most of us are well behaved, but some of us are very passionate about certain issue. Be well and be merry!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2009 16:50      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Umberchild [Smile]

So - you are only 17 years old and yet you say you were "charmed" by what you found here....

You are going to fit in so well [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

(and if that sounds a bit patronising, then I'm sorry, but I'm English. It's how we roll. (as I believe the young people say...Damn! I did it again!)

One question though...can you explain what an 'Academic Decathlete' is, please? It's just that in the UK, you are generally either academic, or a decathlete... [Confused]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Umberchild
Newbie Larva
Member # 29477

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2009 07:52      Profile for Umberchild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xD You guys are awesome, I don't think i've gotten such a friendly welcome before.

Sorry for not being on for awhile, had school stuff to do. But yes, i'm a pretty successful decathlete, I got a lot of medals last year, and won 5th place top scoring decathlete at state.

Basically, Academic Decathlon has one main theme, and then you learn each aspect of it. This year, it's the French Revolution, so we learn each of the captions for the French Revolution.

Art,Music,Lang and Lit, Social Science, and Economics, and Super Quiz. Then there's the stuff that stays the same like economics, mathematics, Speech, Interview, and Essay. Once you spend hours of your life studying, you then go off to compete against other people who've done nothing but study for scholarship money. It's pretty sweet, I got almost 2k last year.

--------------------

Fishy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 29509

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2009 18:43      Profile for Fishy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone, I'm Fishy. I was on these forums a LONG time ago, under a name I don't even recall, but you probably wouldn't remember me anyway.

I got my nick from a fandom friend, my avvie there is a picture of a fish, and they nicknamed me after it.

Just wanted to say hello.

Posts: 1 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture