homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hello, I am Mr. Geek 2U

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello, I am Mr. Geek 2U
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2009 20:25      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But my friends call me Skippy.

Actually they call me Wink but I think Skippy sounds better in my signature. What do you think?

I have watched this forum for a long time and finally decided to join. I am older that most of you, I think. There seems to be a lot of young people here but that is fine by me if it is OK by you.

I suppose if I want to be part of the club Ishould tell you about my geek side, shouldn't I?

I have used computers for a long time, starting with an Apple II (that was a real long time ago when there were only 3 channels on TV and I used my college roommate as a remote control). Since then I have introduced computers to many places where I have worked. I don't think many people can do that anymore unless they live in Africa or Mongolia.

My favorite programs are Final Cut Studio Suite. I have used that since Final Cut Pro 1.0 was introduced at the NAB convention in 1999. I told my peers that before the 20th Century was over that people could edit broadcast video on laptop computers. I was almost right. I did offline edits, though, on my laptop then exported EDLs to AVID.

I also enjoy authoring DVDs and working with different kinds of audio and video compression.

I also use Adobe Creative Suite a bit. I am not that good with it, but I know enough to keep the art directors at work honest. If I have one throwback skill it is I can still draw thumbnails and storyboards for my clients.

Oh, and I started writing my first iPhone App this week. I think it is a good idea, but I can't tell you about it because that is a secret.

Well I am happy to be here. If you want to know more about me, just ask!

Mr. Geek 2U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 12, 2009 21:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Skippy! Great to have you here.

Ooooo iPhone app... nice. That's what we want to do. [Smile]

that was a real long time ago when there were only 3 channels on TV and I used my college roommate as a remote control

lol. I used to use a big stick when my remote broke. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2009 00:07      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, welcome,

We are all pretty relaxed around here, though I would don some armor when wandering into the Politics forum. Or stay clear, that seems to be where some geeks let the beast out of the cage.

The rest of the forums are very safe and freindly.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2009 03:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Mr. Geek 2 You ____________________

____ We welcome any and all GEEKS. I see from your profile that you are from K-zoo. I my self am from North of Saginaw Bay but still South of the Au Sable.

____ I am not the oldest here but close, that goes to PaPa. Don't eat too many of the brownies, the coffee is too strong for me. Please clean up your own mess in the lunch room and whoever breaks the microwave has to replace it.

____ As said before it may be advisable to don a Nomex suit for some of the discussions. Please be care full when the bong comes round, we do not want to have to get a new one again.

____ Have you considered "THATS MR. GEEK 2 YOU"

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 13, 2009 05:43      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, welcome!

It's nice to see new AV people around here.
GC Forums are a bit dull these days.. [ohwell]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2009 07:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whem I was young, I knew better than to be near the TV when dad was watching. Guess who was the remote?

And dammit, if the pair of vice grips didn't always fall off the little post when we were trying to get from UHF 22 to UHF 40.

Welcome Mr. Geek

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2009 11:57      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Geek 2U

On behalf of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland...........er....hi! [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2009 12:50      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer, now when someone says "Damn skippy" we won't know if they mean "exactly right", or "That friggin' Mr. Geek 2U".

Um, I mean, Hi! And welcome. Good to see a new face around here, it's been a little while...

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2009 16:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*tch* *tch* *tch*

What't that Skip?

There's been a plane crash?

*tch* *tch* *tch*

Sonny's trapped in the wreckage, and there's an old lady who needs her medication?

*tch* *tch* *tch*

And the container of deadly poison gas is about to burst?

</aussie-joke>

Welcome Skippy, there's beer in the fridge, coffee in the pot, and cheap Bolivian whisky on the top shelf behind the large pile of old 'Byte' magazines.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2009 16:49      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ay! A freshie!! Welcome!!

I can't even remember my freshie days. Revel in these, lad, soon you'll be posting #500 and wondering where all the time went. Oh this belligerent carnival we call life... oh...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2009 17:49      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everybody for your cordial welcome!

Snaggy, it is good to know you are my friend already. I will tell my wife about that and she might bake some brownies for you. You don't have to watch out for her brownies because they are very good.

Ashitaka, thanks for the warning about the politics forum. I must say if anybody mentions health care anymore things can get hot very fast.

TheMoMan, That is Mr. Geek 2U! [Smile]

Ugurcan, AV? That is cool. Maybe we can chat about that. I'm pretty excited that FCP Studio 2 handles AVC natively now. I have a little Panasonic AVCHD SD chip camera that I play with at home and the new codec will make that easier to use.

Commander Shroom, on our Zenith TV the vise grips were for channels 2-13. VHF had a little plastic collar around the main dial (Don't touch that dial! We will be right back!), and we had to tune that for UHF.

Grummash, Wow! Great Britain. Isn't technology amazing? I remember the first TELSTAR satellite, and now look. I will tip a Bass Ale and download an episode of The Goon Show in your honor.

Ugh, MightyClub, I'm sorry to confuse you. But I don't think that Skippy is where the nickname came from.

The Famous Druid, "Good on ya, Skip!" LOL!

ewomack, thank you. I revel in every day I live. I hope you do, too!

Thank you everybody.

--------------------

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2009 06:00      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! um... Hi! Welcome!

Sorry, I still come around, but I have been quite busy lately, and don't contribute as much as I used to do. But those things are often cyclical in my case.

So... I see you have already been shown around the kitchen. That leaves the usual warnings about some residents: beware of Steen's links, Spungo will mess with your head, etc. But maybe it's best if you find out by yourself! [evil]

So sit back, relax, enjoy, and again: welcome!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2009 14:39      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo,

I think I will stay away from the Spungo. I don't do those kinds of mushrooms any more!

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2009 02:39      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey MG2U. (Did they warn you about the nickname thing already?)

It's nice to see people joining up. This used to be a happening place, but now all the damn kids have their Twitters and their Facebooks. At least they stay off the lawn.

Welcome.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2009 16:26      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs,

The only real warning I've gotten is eating the Spungo.

As for the nickname I am very familiar with Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. In fact I have a multilingual dog who is able to translate "Skippy", "Lassie", and "Flipper".

For example:

*tch* *tch* *tch* = There's been a plane crash!

*woof* *woof* *woof* = Timmy's in the well!

*Nyeh* *Ny-ny-ny-ny-nyeh" = Poachers are stealing coral from the park!

She's quite a dog, my dog, and she really loves those shows.

Yesterday she told me that she can't wait until Skippy, Lassie and Flipper start their own Animal Justice League.

Mr. Geek 2 U

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2009 11:53      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skippy? Wasn't that Alex P. Keaton's best friend's name on Family Ties? We used to have a goldfish named Alex P. Keaton, my mom insisted upon it, "his name isn't Alex, it's Alex P. Keaton!" she'd say. Ah youth...

Now that my old-man-style rambling is out of the way, welcome! Stick around! Watch out for spungo, he appears harmless but will attack when you're least expecting it; then again, if you're into that kind of thing... [Wink] Have a cup of coffee if you want, but if you drink the last cup it's your responsibility to make more.

The Cosmic Bong used to be right here, but someone lost it a while ago.. (probably me [blush] ) I'm sure it'll turn up and float by...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2009 17:55      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacManKrisK,

Spungo is a person? I thought he was a conscious-altering fungus! I have egg on my face now. You might understand the mushrooms KrisK if you are the one who lost the cosmic bong. Not that I'm assuming anything, but your avatar looks suspiciously ... Dead?

Mr. Geek 2U

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2009 19:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Geek 2U:
Spungo is a person? I thought he was a conscious-altering fungus!

Not so far from the truth. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2009 21:06      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Geek 2U:
You might understand the mushrooms KrisK if you are the one who lost the cosmic bong.

Understand: yes, at least in the sense that I know what you're talking about...
Seen them: yes, once.
Tried them: nah, not for me. Seen too many folks have bad experiences... but that's a story for some other time, I think. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture