homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Geek culture is my kind of culture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Geek culture is my kind of culture
Cjad the Nord
Newbie Larva
Member # 28031

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted March 14, 2009 17:07      Profile for Cjad the Nord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, forum members! I stumbled upon this forum after a series of random clicks, and decided to join up. So, I suppose I should introduce myself.

My name is Chad and I go by the handle Cjad online for no particular reason. I am 20 years old and I'm posting out of Miami, FL, where I'm working part time and attending school studying Culinary Arts. I realize that isn't the geekiest subject or career path, but believe me when I say that I'm geek enough as it is without making a living out of it.

Of my hobbies, the most relevant are probably reading, using the internet as much as I do (for social networking), and playing online games. Specifically, I'm a big fan of fantasy and science fiction novels, online forums, and the MMOG Guild Wars. Beyond that, playing guitar is one of my passions and I love a wide variety of music (I'm a skilled rapper; listen to me on Ventrilo or gimme a call O:).

With that said, and I said a lot more than I planned to, I can't wait to start posting regularly and meet a lot of cool, geeky people in the process! <|:D

--------------------
Hooked on Psionics

Posts: 9 | From: Miami FL | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2009 18:10      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wejlkum Cjad

R U a hanging Cjad from Florida?

My nephew cooks at Devito on South Bjeach.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cjad the Nord
Newbie Larva
Member # 28031

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2009 18:29      Profile for Cjad the Nord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that. D:

I don't think I've ever heard of that establishment. I actually don't visit Miami Beach that often, despite living so close to it. Most people who live in Miami take for granted the beaches that attract so many people from out of state! :D

--------------------
Hooked on Psionics

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2009 19:51      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, welcome!
Culinary arts? My true passion was to be a pastry chef and attend Johnson and Wales when I lived in Charleston. Never happened though, so now I am pursuing a career in education, go figure!

You are gonna love it here. The first thing you need to do is click on a link from GrumpySteen! Then help yourself to the food and beverages in the kitchen, and oh, while you are there, can you whip up a little somethin-somethin?

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cjad the Nord
Newbie Larva
Member # 28031

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2009 20:42      Profile for Cjad the Nord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! I was originally focused on being a pastry chef as well (always wanted to open a bakery), and coincidentally, I'm attending Johnson & Wales in North Miami!

What's your favorite recipe? So long as it starts with P and ends in -izza, I can make it perfectly.

--------------------
Hooked on Psionics

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2009 00:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorite pizza hmmm. depends on the day.

If I want something simple I'll just make a pizza with capers.

If I want something fancy I just start pilling on the vegi's. I don't usually put meat on pizza, unless I make pizza hawaii.

I always let the dough sit over night in the fridge after kneading (always by hand)

I almost always use tilsiter cheese, and never mozzerella.

ps
and speaking of pizza I am making a french thing that is similar to pizza tonight called flammkuchen. It's a pizza with a very thin crust, crème fraïche instead of cheese with bacon ond onions. and no tomato sauce.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2009 04:07      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahitaka:
a french thing ....... called flammkuchen

[Confused] [Confused] Did I miss something? [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2009 06:29      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Colonel wakes from a deep slumber and casts one curious eye about as Cjad mentions the word "Pizza."

I like this pizza crust recipe. And yes, I keep the dough ball overnight in the refrigerator.

I have yet to build my pizza oven, but I have learned that if I throw a pizza stone onto my outdoor grill and heat that baby up about 600 F,and throw some apple chips into the wood chips into the smoker box, then it turns out pretty good.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2009 08:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
quote:
Originally posted by Ahitaka:
a french thing ....... called flammkuchen

[Confused] [Confused] Did I miss something? [Wink]
Prolly

Flammkuchen comes from Strasbourg ( in Alsace) in the german speaking part of France. (though the younger generation there doesn't speak german much anymore.)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2009 10:08      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitka - Now I understand. Thank you.

My ignorance has diminished a little, which must be a good thing! [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2009 11:18      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmm Pizza! And welcome!

Last night I made PMS Pizza as my wife calls it, I call it Pizza Rockefeller.
Just layer fresh spinach, portabella mushrooms (this is the "oyster part). feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, chopped garlic, and parmesan cheese. Bake at 475 – 500 for 8 12 min or until golden brown. Remove from oven & top with toasted almond slices.

Edit: Photo of said pizza

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cjad the Nord
Newbie Larva
Member # 28031

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2009 18:44      Profile for Cjad the Nord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! <| [Big Grin]

I've heard of Flammkuchen, for sure. Don't know much about it. Never made it. Never eaten it. In fact; never seen it. But with a name that awesome, I simply have to remedy all three of those.

Oh, and I make more than just pizza. I'd love to be a pizza chef, but as it is, variety is more attractive on a resume I hear.

--------------------
Hooked on Psionics

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2009 19:17      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cjad, what am I doing wrong with my profiteroles? They never come out right! Have you gotten that far in class yet? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2009 03:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cjad the Nord:
Oh, and I make more than just pizza. I'd love to be a pizza chef, but as it is, variety is more attractive on a resume I hear.

You could go work for Mario Batali at Otto.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2009 06:30      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Cjad, what am I doing wrong with my profiteroles? They never come out right! Have you gotten that far in class yet? [Big Grin]

I didn't take a pastry class, but I've made that kind of pastry a couple of time and it turned OK. I can't say for sure since you didn't say how your attempts turned out, but either you don't have a good recipe (it's the same base recipe for all: profiterolles -with ice cream or pastry cream or custard -, eclairs, Paris-Brest, St-Honoré, etc.), or you don't pre-cook correctly. When you add the dry mix to the liquid, mix well, and keep working (never stop!) the dough until it forms a ball that doesn't stick any more. Then take it off the heat immediately. Cook too much, the eggs won't mix in good; not enough, it won't hold well enough.

That being said, the last time I baked some was a few years ago, so I may have forgotten details.

Good luck!

Edit: Oh, right. Welcome Cjad! (I'm the "not really good with social stuff" kind of nerd/geek, can you tell? [crazy] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture