homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » So, it's me.. Napo!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So, it's me.. Napo!
Napo
Newbie Larva
Member # 24793

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted December 12, 2008 09:13      Profile for Napo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi to all users out there! Recently visited the geekculture forums (don't know how [Big Grin] ) and was amazed [Smile] The last time I registered at a forum was about a year ago, too much overloaded, unlikeable communities out there. I think & hope GeekCulture is different hehe.

So, some stuff about me you might be interested:

I'm living in germany (born in austria) and heavily interested in nearly all computer, network and security stuff [Smile] I have a blog (which wasn't updated for a while now...) @ http://thiscouldbeliving.com.
Why I would define myself as a geek? Hmm, mostly because of my passion to computers. Back in the days when didn't even owned a computer I was already reading computer books and magazines [Big Grin] Furthermore I'm always this "computer dude" - which isn't always a good thing, I think some of you already know why (perhaps I need this "No, I'm not here to fix your computer" T-Shirt?!?).

So, this is it, don't know what I could add hmm.. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask [Smile]

P.S.: English isn't my native language, so don't wonder if something might "sound strange" [blush]

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2008 11:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________ TheMoMan Here __ Napo You should fit in nicely and Hell English is my language and sometimes I can't even read my own stuff.

I am the old fart, age only there are members that have been here longer, but they are pups.

I am in to almost all sciences, I am reluctant about computers as I had to use them for my work.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Napo
Newbie Larva
Member # 24793

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2008 12:54      Profile for Napo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

I am in to almost all sciences, I am reluctant about computers as I had to use them for my work.

Yeah sounds nice! So, what to you work (if it's ok to ask)?
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2008 14:17      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Napo - welcome. [Smile]

Please don't worry that English is not your first language. Your English is far better than my German (I can order food and beer, but that is all).

People whose native language is English but who choose to be lazy in their writing will get a hard time here. You, I think, will find a friendly welcome. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2008 15:20      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Your English is far better than my German (I can order food and beer, but that is all).

Better than my German... I think I could probably manage to curse some, tell people know, talk about some random boat, and... I could probably manage something anti-semetic, thanks to South Park. [ohwell] (though I do speak that ever so fun international language - beer.)

In any case, welcome Napo! Not to worry, we aren't too over-loaded around here. And, most of us are fairly likable. Just don't let any random grumpiness get to ya - some of the old farts just keep getting older is all. [devil wand]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2008 02:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Napo __ Well where I worked, we made auto parts. So I was a Toolmaker/Machine builder, I made (built) the machines that made the parts. Out of a 32 year career the last ten were spent in front of a monitor Using the CAD/CAM/CAE program called Unigraphics.

So some designer would draw the part as it would fit in or on the car or truck. I would then take the math model and figure out how to make the tool "Dies, Punches, Mold, or Fixture" to hold or manufacture the part.

Then as the Tool became worn and the part was starting to get out of spec, I would have to come up with a fix. ie put weld in the worn areas and then remachine the welded area back to the original shape or math model.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 16, 2008 15:36      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Willkommen!

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 04:04      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Napo! And don't worry about your English, it is also far far better than my German, and I've been living in Germany for a year, so I don't have much of an excuse [Razz]
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 04:55      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Napo! We're sticklers for quality grammar around here, but we also leave allowances for people who are not native English speakers. I don't think you need worry. [Smile]

I have one question for you. How do you pronounce your name? Is it "nap-o?" Like something you would say before you lie down for a bit and then you stretch: "I think I'm going to take a little nap. Oh!" Or is it "nape-o?" Like what you'd say if you cut yourself shaving the back of your neck: "Okay, now just finish up the nape... OH!!!"

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture